Ferry Newbie question

That wouldn’t have worked for me for a number of reasons. I was in a motorhome which would have to be parked, we didn’t want to eat that early and had a whole evening ahead of us. Sitting in the bar all evening drinking isn’t an option with my partner as she’s teetotal which does have advantages :). As it happened the boat sailed on time, we were unlucky to be loaded last because of the type of vehicle. And I have a suspicion the restaurant was closed partly because there were few private travellers on board. A lot of trucks.

there's quite a difference being in the queue with the facilities of a motorhome and being there on a motorcycle, plus the OP's departure time lends itself to having dinner prior to boarding. My response was about the context of the OP and not relevant to anecdotes about other routes.

there's quite a difference being in the queue with the facilities of a motorhome and being there on a motorcycle, plus the OP's departure time lends itself to having dinner prior to boarding. My response was about the context of the OP and not relevant to anecdotes about other routes.

Yes, I fully understand that and my comments were just about adding a bit of info' about current operating conditions. I'm away to France next week on the St Malo Ferry with mates on bikes and that'll be a very different experience:thumb2

Many thanks for all your replies. I'm very grateful to you.
There's some really useful info there which is going to help us a lot - especially the overnight grab-bag tip.
As a first-timer I'm a little trepidatious still, but I'm sure we'll be ok.
If you see me tipped over on some spilt oil give us a hand to get back upright....
Thanks, Chris.

Piece of piss mate ;-)

I have a 2 hour ride to ferry port so always myself an extra hour for inevitable roadworks / traffic chaos. Found parking up easy enough, but there are some wobbly fuckers out there, as Sgt stated it does make you wonder how the fuck they got that far.

I always use pannier inner bags and make sure all I need for the night on the ferry is in one of them, lock lid in the top box in case the Ferry Pirates fancy stealing it, can always buy a new one in Spain. This means I can easily navigate the stairs and get around the ship easily if the cabin is not yet ready, you see loads of guys and gals sat in the hallways with a big pile of bags and their lids.

At the other end of the spectrum some guys who just decide the spend the entire crossing in their leathers - Ugh!

Bags??!! One top box, one inner bag. Bag out, helmet gloves and Sat Nav in box, lock it, alarm off. Head up to room, dump stuff, rush to nice restaurant and book a table!! Relax. And don’t forget ear plugs for all your room mates who claim they don’t snore 😴 ……

Slow Boat to Spain

Just looking at booking Portsmouth to Santander on the Galicia and notice it now takes two nights. Is this due to a crew change in Cherbourg (I remember that happening in the past) or is just a slower cruise. Not a problem just curious.

Just a means of getting the timings right to ensure passengers spend more on board.

To be fair, BF have had a tough couple of years & probably wouldn't exist now, in their current form, without massive French Government support.

Crew change in Cherbourg or Roscoff I believe. Presumably, in the past, they had crew quarters in Portsmouth or employed UK residents. No doubt, this arrangement was made too complicated after the UK left the EU.

If you go from Plymouth, it is only 1 night.

Crew change, extra night, extra breakfast, arrive in morning, as opposed to afternoon on shorter crossing.

Crew change, extra night, extra breakfast, arrive in morning, as opposed to afternoon on shorter crossing.

they do include one dinner and one breakfast in the ticket price but for me, the Plymouth route has much better times - tea time departure from Plymouth and lunchtime arrival in Santander. Plenty of time to get into the Picos before your early dinner at 8pm.

Yes agree with with your comment wessie, which is why I'm booked on 1st May from Plymouth, which is a long drive from Norwich, but then get to visit my Mum for a couple of days, who lives just a few minutes from the ferry terminal : )

I agree I prefer Plymouth also, but I am date constrained this year, and need to travel on 4th or 5th July.

Plus 1. For Plymouth against Portsmouth

I tend to go out via Plymouth and return -Portsmouth as someone has said the Plymouth boat gets into Santander in plenty of time to get into the Picos on some nice roads and have some fun

The return to Portsmouth is just the one night and the skelp home from Portsmouth is much easier/better than it is from Plymouth

There’s no crew change, just a slower crossing. Guess there must be a cost saving. Going next week from Portsmouth. On at 21.30 and arrive 8am after two nights sleep. So as full days ride rather than a quick blip on old timing. Boat looks awesome. So it’s sit back, drinks, food, banter, chill out and then have a weeks fun. What’s not to like 👍

for me, the Plymouth route has much better times - tea time departure from Plymouth and lunchtime arrival in Santander. Plenty of time to get into the Picos before your early dinner at 8pm.

Agree with the above and will be doing this in 3 weeks time, I hope the weather has improved in Spain/Portugal by then :cool:

Booked this morning from Portsmouth, I am in no rush and leaving late Monday and arriving early Weds kind of suits as gives me the full day.

Prefer the fast crossings, by the time we get onboard and in cabin / out of bike gear it's time for lunch and a couple of beers, maybe an afternoon nap then shower and evening meal, a few more beers before bed, wake up and grab brekky, clear the head fuzz and it is time to get off and riding.

A whole day on board from morning to night would be too much for me, and the beds are far from the most luxurious I have stayed in, the food (although acceptable) is pricey, as are the beers - with the short crossing we still have a good few hours riding after getting off, long enough to easily reach the edge of Pico's or Pyrenees by 5-6PM, and stay in a much more comfy bed with cheaper beer and food available.

- with the short crossing we still have a good few hours riding after getting off, long enough to easily reach the edge of Pico's or Pyrenees by 5-6PM, and stay in a much more comfy bed with cheaper beer and food available.

Looking at this option for next year, but was about 20 years ago when I last used this ferry. Roughly what time are you able to hit the road in Spain, please?

Looking at this option for next year, but was about 20 years ago when I last used this ferry. Roughly what time are you able to hit the road in Spain, please?

The timetables for the various crossing options are on the company’s website.

Back
Top Bottom