Ferry Newbie question

Allow 30 minutes? Unless you are parked behind a gaggle of 20 bikermates, who faff about at every opportunity or engage each other in banter, instead of looking for their passports which they’ll need within a few yards of wobbling off the ferry. If it’s then 45 minutes, it’s not going to change your life, I guess. If it’s 20 rejoice!

It’s certainly not going to be hours, unless they can’t get the doors open or the customs blokes have gone for a siesta or to a bull fight.

Food when boarding Brittany Ferry to Santander

Anyone travelled recently on Galicia going to Santander late evening? Wondered if the restaurants are open late or if it’s best to eat on route to ferry terminal.

Also do they start loading early? Be nice to get on boat and get sorted.

Cheers

Your question about when you are possibly going to be loaded, was answered just recently:

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/578240-Ferry-Newbie-question

Where the question was:

We're due to make our first trip to Spain, by ferry, at the end of June.
Portsmouth to Santander on the good ship Galicia.
The documents state that we need to be checked in 60 minutes before departure - which is fair enough.
Here's the question: How early do Brittany Ferries let you board, please?
Departure is due to be at 21.30 and I'd be more than happy to get on the ferry looong before that....

You’ll maybe not remember but you contributed to the thread quite expertly, including a reference to the restaurant:

Bags??!! One top box, one inner bag. Bag out, helmet gloves and Sat Nav in box, lock it, alarm off. Head up to room, dump stuff, rush to nice restaurant and book a table!! Relax. And don’t forget ear plugs for all your room mates who claim they don’t snore �� ……

As to food, assuming you don’t dump your bags and rush to the restaurant. Take a sandwich. Break into its triangular box in the event of an emergency. Take a bottle of pop to suit. Biscuits, biscuits are good. I recommend Garibaldi, better known as squashed flies. They pack down small, leaving you plenty of room in your humongous panniers for other stuff.

Enjoy your holiday.

:beerjug:

Your question about when you are possibly going to be loaded, was answered just recently:

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/578240-Ferry-Newbie-question

You’ll maybe not remember but you contributed to the thread quite expertly:

As to food, assuming you don’t dump your bags and rush to the restaurant. Take a sandwich. Break into its triangular box in the event of an emergency. Take a bottle of pop to suit. Biscuits, biscuits are good. I recommend Garibaldi, better known as squashed flies. They pack down small, leaving you plenty of room in your humongous panniers for other stuff.

Enjoy your holiday.
Garibaldi = squashed flies. Takes me back to my days at boarding school, happy days

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Garibaldis are also flat so ideal for efficient packing.

Enjoy the trip.

I was looking at alternative words for moderator and the term “diplomat” popped up. Nah, can’t be right.

Garibaldi = squashed flies. Takes me back to my days at boarding school, happy days

My mother, now in her late 80’s, always refers to them as squashed flies. I thought it was only us as a family but good to know that there are others, too.

True, but when a boat docks, and when you're on the road, seem to vary dramatically.

In my experience is is about 30 mins or so, never timed it so perhaps it varies, but not by enough for me to have noticed or call dramatically, worst one I had was when between go down to the hold and getting out of the Ferry doors it had started pissing down, and all those bikermates with unsuitable non waterproof textiles immediately stopped in the middle of the fucking exit road to change into more appropriate clobber and caused chaos.

If Galicia is the new boat from Portsmouth I do believe that a meal is now included

Panic over

But what if you are wrong in your belief?

Panic then ensues. Hunger gnaws at the soul and a holiday is maybe ruined, even before it’s started.

Rasher seems to agree with me, with excellent additional reference to numpty bikermates, all faffing around.

But what if you are wrong in your belief?

Panic then ensues. Hunger gnaws at the soul and a holiday is maybe ruined, even before it’s started.

It is a worry !

My ticket Santander to Portsmouth on Galicia clearly states evening meal included but should that all go wrong and it turns out that Brittany ferries are lying ripoff merchants I know there are several other food outlets on board that will relieve me of many Euros in exchange for sustenance and that the duty free shop sells biscuits although they may not be the fly paper variety so adored by all biker mates

Allow 30 minutes? Unless you are parked behind a gaggle of 20 bikermates, who faff about at every opportunity or engage each other in banter, instead of looking for their passports which they’ll need within a few yards of wobbling off the ferry. If it’s then 45 minutes, it’s not going to change your life, I guess. If it’s 20 rejoice!

It’s certainly not going to be hours, unless they can’t get the doors open or the customs blokes have gone for a siesta or to a bull fight.

Depends on the boat though .
Both times I’ve got the Pont Aven to Santander , we’ve waited probably an hour each time to get off and it’s like a sauna down there with about 200 bikes and hundreds of bikers.
But the Cap Finistère was so much better . Think it only holds 60 bikes and we were off in about 15 minutes .
Not paid attention but is the Galicia on the Santander run now ? Probably takes even more bikes than the Pont Aven !!

Did some of them start their engines after five minutes of waiting, blipping the throttle on a regular basis to confirm that their Akra was still intact, having been left out of sight for a few hours?

I am looking at another trip to the Pico's in September and have had a week of faffing around with Brittany Ferries, either unable to get through or dates no good, now thinking of riding down Calais - Honfleur - Poitiers/Bordeaux - Picos.

Real bikers eat real squashed flies, moths and raw fish caught using a bent pin and fishing line dragged behind the ferry :D

Back
Top Bottom