Ferry Newbie question

I am looking at another trip to the Pico's in September and have had a week of faffing around with Brittany Ferries, either unable to get through or dates no good, now thinking of riding down Calais - Honfluer - Pointers/Bordeaux - Hotel Del Oso

Just a little pointer , stick Poitiers in yer sat nav :)

Garibaldi = Council Cakes.

They are horrendous.

My mother, now in her late 80’s, always refers to them as squashed flies. I thought it was only us as a family but good to know that there are others, too.

It's everybody!

They have a golden brown, glazed exterior and a moderately sweet pastry, but their defining characteristic is the layer of squashed fruit which gives rise to the colloquial names fly sandwiches, flies' graveyards, dead fly biscuits,[citation needed] or squashed fly biscuits, because the squashed fruit resemble squashed flies.

My mother, now in her late 80’s, always refers to them as squashed flies. I thought it was only us as a family but good to know that there are others, too.

"Fly cemeteries" was the moniker when I were a lad.

Not sure about the new system as you’re now on the ferry for 2 nights - hence the meals included in the price.
The old system was that the restaurant was open but filled up quickly with only 1 sitting.
We would go straight from our bikes to the restaurant and book a table then to our room.

That was the nice restaurant, not sure about the canteen style eatery - As Garibaldi are English biscuits I suspect they are no longer available on board so, as suggested, perhaps take your own. There will, I’m sure, be plenty of Petite-Beurre but you will need to take your own flies.

I am looking at another trip to the Pico's in September and have had a week of faffing around with Brittany Ferries, either unable to get through or dates no good, now thinking of riding down Calais - Honfleur - Poitiers/Bordeaux - Picos.

The question was, how long does it take to get off the ferry.

We have now had:

How long does it take to get on?

How do I avoid starving to death?

How long does it take to get off?

Why do some boats take two nights and others one?

You have started a new line of enquiry: How long does it take them to answer the phone?

But full biker points for saddling up the awesome and riding to Spain, a method that is much respected on these pages ‘cos it’s the only way to feel alive.

The question was, how long does it take to get off the ferry.

We have now had:

How long does it take to get on?

How do I avoid starving to death?

How long does it take to get off?

Why do some boats take two nights and others one?

You have started a new line of enquiry: How long does it take them to answer the phone?

But full biker points for saddling up the awesome and riding to Spain, a method that is much respected on these pages ‘cos it’s the only way to feel alive.
A True Tosser, our very own pedantic pillock :D

Depends on the boat though .
Both times I’ve got the Pont Aven to Santander , we’ve waited probably an hour each time to get off and it’s like a sauna down there with about 200 bikes and hundreds of bikers.
But the Cap Finistère was so much better . Think it only holds 60 bikes and we were off in about 15 minutes .
Not paid attention but is the Galicia on the Santander run now ? Probably takes even more bikes than the Pont Aven !!

The Santander route from Plymouth is on Pont Aven.

Cap F has been sold https://www.niferry.co.uk/brittany-ferries-agrees-to-sell-cap-finistere/ replaced by the new ships on the Portsmouth routes.

I agree, I preferred the Cap F to Pont Aven in terms of the location of bikes. The Plymouth route is favourable in terms of sailing times so swings & roundabouts.

The Santander route from Plymouth is on Pont Aven.

Cap F has been sold https://www.niferry.co.uk/brittany-ferries-agrees-to-sell-cap-finistere/ replaced by the new ships on the Portsmouth routes.

I agree, I preferred the Cap F to Pont Aven in terms of the location of bikes. The Plymouth route is favourable in terms of sailing times so swings & roundabouts.

Bugger .
I’m done with Plymouth - Santander .
MUCH preferred the Cap F, with the waiter service restaurant.
Yes I know the Pont A has one but we always ended up in the buffet .
Probably won’t do Spain for a few years but if I do I’ll ride both ways as it’s more convenient ( for me ).

Not sure about the new system as you’re now on the ferry for 2 nights - hence the meals included in the price.
The old system was that the restaurant was open but filled up quickly with only 1 sitting.
We would go straight from our bikes to the restaurant and book a table then to our room.

That was the nice restaurant, not sure about the canteen style eatery - As Garibaldi are English biscuits I suspect they are no longer available on board so, as suggested, perhaps take your own. There will, I’m sure, be plenty of Petite-Beurre but you will need to take your own flies.

Only one evening meal not two!

Firstly, Custard Creams or Jammy Dodgers. Food of champions.

Back to the question, the meal tickets are for the day but you load at 20.30 latest. Restaurants open or closed? Anyway BF Twitter says stuff there Garibaldi, they are open! Earliest loading can be 1.5 hours before depart.

I’ll update with this vital information from the boat. Vital, because who wants to eat a biscuit that looks like cardboard.

Boarded!! And not a garibaldi to be seen. Boarded at 8.30 for a 9.30pm crossing. Restaurant open, food destroyed. Happy 🍺

Back
Top Bottom