Ferry Newbie question

Francley40

Reaction score
We're due to make our first trip to Spain, by ferry, at the end of June.
Portsmouth to Santander on the good ship Galicia.
The documents state that we need to be checked in 60 minutes before departure - which is fair enough.
Here's the question: How early do Brittany Ferries let you board, please?
Departure is due to be at 21.30 and I'd be more than happy to get on the ferry looong before that....
Many thanks for any help/advice.
Regards,
Chris.

The documents state that we need to be checked in 60 minutes before departure - which is fair enough.
Departure is due to be at 21.30 and I'd be more than happy to get on the ferry looong before that....
Regards,
Chris.

My experience has almost always been that you will get on board looong before that, the only exceptions have been when the ferry is running late or if unloading of the inbound ferry is delayed. Last year we were onboard our ferry for both crossings in good time but the cabins weren't ready for 60-90 minutes after we boarded, we used the time wisely in the bar :beerjug:
Assuming you do have a cabin booked it's not a bad idea to pack a small overnight bag for the crossing, take the small overnight bag with you up to the decks of the ship and leave the rest of your luggage on the bike on the car deck it's less to carry up and down the numerous flights of stairs ;)

When you arrive at the terminal they will put you in a lane. It maybe just bikes it maybe cars / bikes. They load based on the decks available, sometimes caravans and campers go on first other times last.

As 2 wheel Humvee says, have an overnight kit ( if only in a plastic bag) at the top of your luggage, so you are not carrying panniers up and down steep metal stairs.

Portsmouth to Santander is a super crossing , like a small cruise. Plus you arrive right at the mouth of the Picos . Im jealous already.

The others have covered your question - so normally they load the bikes fairly early, given the need to tie them down, but it depends largely on numbers.

I have witnessed many silly accidents during the loading/unloading exercise, many of which have curtailed the adventure before it started with broken limbs & wrecked bikes, so be patient, take your time, don't be pressurised into inappropriate speed/manoeuvres. Keep safe & wear your normal riding gear including gloves & helmet until loaded, even when others don't. Beware of oil/diesel/water spills on the ramps & car decks, as well as the tie down mushrooms. Oh & make sure the bikes adjacent to yours are secure - I've had a falling bikes snag mine on a couple of occasions, when the Bay was a tad rough (seasickness pills may be required).

Most of all, have a great time.

Regards,
Chris.

You don’t get a choice when you board, but get in the queue early - you’ll be directed where to queue - and the loaders will call you when they are boarding bikes. Bear in mind there’s nothing to do while waiting, and the terminal is at best a place to shelter if the weather is bad, so no point in getting there hours and hours early. Remember where you are parked! Deck and exit door numbers, write them down.

As other have said, for an overnighter pack enough a small bag with overnight kit in it that you can grab easily. Pack a kindle or reading matter, phone, charger, documents and a set of clothes and trainers. Also a coat, it’s worth going out on deck and it’ll be cold.

I also leave my helmet/jacket/ gloves on the bike, leaving a top box empty for this purpose which is also handy when you want to park up in town, and there’s no point lugging this lot up to your cabin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At Portsmouth, I prefer to lounge in one of the pubs not too far from the port if taking an overnight ferry. The Sovereign next to the Travelodge at the port entrance is adequate. It's a McPub and there will be kids, but sit away from their play area and it is okay. Wander over to the port an hour before check in closes and you will probably find you are on the boat not long after. In between trips to Santander, the Galicia is also operating to/from Cherbourg so they are likely to be in port just long enough to get the inbound traffic off before they start loading the outbound. As others state, even if you are on board well before departure time, your cabin will not be available as they won't activate the door lock until all of the cleaners have vacated your deck.

I think the Galicia is a 2 night crossing so take enough stuff off the bike for the duration, especially medications.

Arrive no earlier than a hour before departure, as per instructions. You’ll be on with no longer than an hour to wait, obviously.

Top tip dont arrive at a ferry port (Hamburg) with six hours to go. Then someone suggested the Reeperbahn for window shopping. Then on the way back call in a Carrefour and stock up on 48 pack lager boxes. Then drink them on the keyside, then suddenly a ferry operator says , ok we are loading cars now, who me thinks I as everyone looks at the driver!

DAMHIK

Happy days I genuinely don’t know how I did it !

Remember where you are parked! Deck and exit door numbers, write them down.

And when you check in your cabin door key/card is given to you - DO NOT PUT IT IN YOUR POCKET NEXT TO YOUR PHONE OR OTHER ELECTRONIC DEVICE - otherwise you will be trekking back up to reception for a replacement for your now scrambled key. There is a warning about this on the key itself but it is not obvious in the rush to board

At Portsmouth I parked under the canopy. I might have been a bit early/eager ;)

Attachments

• 4FA16872-BD6C-4796-A789-16CE69EA00BA.jpg
    4FA16872-BD6C-4796-A789-16CE69EA00BA.jpg
    255.9 KB · Views: 512
My experience has almost always been that you will get on board looong before that, the only exceptions have been when the ferry is running late or if unloading of the inbound ferry is delayed. Last year we were onboard our ferry for both crossings in good time but the cabins weren't ready for 60-90 minutes after we boarded, we used the time wisely in the bar :beerjug:
Assuming you do have a cabin booked it's not a bad idea to pack a small overnight bag for the crossing, take the small overnight bag with you up to the decks of the ship and leave the rest of your luggage on the bike on the car deck it's less to carry up and down the numerous flights of stairs ;)

Very helpful advice from Steve!:thumb2

Get there in reasonable time as it does get busy. There is a pub next door to while away an hour or so before you depart but remember if it's pouring with rain, you'll be sat out in the open until you board.

On the ship, follow the instructions where to park, leave it in gear and on the side stand and the happy and smiling staff will do the rest. If it's wet, take it easy as it's slippy but you'll be fine. Saying that, watching some people trying to manouvre an overweight GS at slow speed is pretty good sport and it make you wonder how they have got as far as they have.

Make sure you have an overnight bag handy to grab and don't start trying to sort out what you need after you've boarded. You don't need much as you aren't going to far......! I did watch a guy lumbering up the stairs with both his panniers pouring with sweat last year because some biker mates told him something would be stolen by the pirates running the ship........it doesn't happen

The Galicia is a decent ship and the cabins have TV on demand with loads of movies available because you will be bored half to death. Food is pricey but pretty decent overall.

I came back via St Malo in my ‘van’ last week. 8.30 sailing and check in 90 mins before but loading starts at 6.00. So we actually got there at 5.45 and parked in the lane. I’d made good time from Saumur on the ‘pretty route’. I’d originally planned on a long leisurely meal in the restaurant with their excellent buffet and thought we’d get in there when it opened about 7 ‘ish. We were forewarned they weren’t doing the buffet ‘because of Covid’. No worries but in the event they closed the restaurant ‘because of Covid staff shortages’. And then we were last on at 7.45……

I came back via St Malo in my ‘van’ last week. 8.30 sailing and check in 90 mins before but loading starts at 6.00. So we actually got there at 5.45 and parked in the lane. I’d made good time from Saumur on the ‘pretty route’. I’d originally planned on a long leisurely meal in the restaurant with their excellent buffet and thought we’d get in there when it opened about 7 ‘ish. We were forewarned they weren’t doing the buffet ‘because of Covid’. No worries but in the event they closed the restaurant ‘because of Covid staff shortages’. And then we were last on at 7.45……

hence my recommendation to go to the pub near the port and get some scoff before queuing to get on board - the OP's 2130 departure can easily become 2300 in the current climate with shortage of workers etc.

hence my recommendation to go to the pub near the port and get some scoff before queuing to get on board - the OP's 2130 departure can easily become 2300 in the current climate with shortage of workers etc.
That wouldn’t have worked for me for a number of reasons. I was in a motorhome which would have to be parked, we didn’t want to eat that early and had a whole evening ahead of us. Sitting in the bar all evening drinking isn’t an option with my partner as she’s teetotal which does have advantages :). As it happened the boat sailed on time, we were unlucky to be loaded last because of the type of vehicle. And I have a suspicion the restaurant was closed partly because there were few private travellers on board. A lot of trucks.

Back
Top Bottom