Normandy and Arras

You could try Adrian at Normandy Beach B&B in Arromanche

Free beer in the courtyard fridge !!!!!

Mad as a box of frogs he is but the place is ok although last i was there i thought he was getting a bit pricey
Really? I’m heading there this weekend with 10 other bikers. 3nights, breakfasts and two evening meal banquets €200 each sharing two to a room.

This will be about our 10th visit, the evening meals have always been excellent.
Dont get me wrong i love Adrian and i really like Normandy beach as a B&B my main issue, last we were there was we were promised some banquet with Duck breast etc and loads of other lovely stuff which turned into a provincial pork stew ! which in itself was lovely as Karen is a wonderful cook and the breakfasts are always superb.

We used it alot over a few years but as i say last we were there ( and again about 10 of us sharring rooms) we all comented on the final bill which from memory was about 600Euros each for 4 nights and seemed excessive and sort of put me off going back

Dont get me wrong i love Adrian and i really like Normandy beach as a B&B my main issue, last we were there was we were promised some banquet with Duck breast etc and loads of other lovely stuff which turned into a provincial pork stew ! which in itself was lovely as Karen is a wonderful cook and the breakfasts are always superb.

We used it alot over a few years but as i say last we were there ( and again about 10 of us sharring rooms) we all comented on the final bill which from memory was about 600Euros each for 4 nights and seemed excessive and sort of put me off going back

maybe the "free" beer fridge isn't as free as you were hoping?

maybe the "free" beer fridge isn't as free as you were hoping?
HA

We considered ourselves to be Friends of Adrian and Karen and just paid up ! he is as mad as box of frogs and maybe we caught his billing on an off day but of the 10 of us none has gone back despite how good the place is

That's getting me a little worried now. I've had an email just a few days ago saying E200, it reads for the 3 nights,breakfasts and 2 evening meals per person.
I met him initially the first time we went to Arromanches as part of a group in 01. He came running down into the square, covered in building dust, and handed out his cards saying 'we'll be open next year'. I kept that card and took the wife and kids there a few years later. Then my best man asked about doing a Normandy tour with his workmates from Luton nick. That was the first group visit I organised, followed by a load more visits with my local Iam group. My wife and I have visited as friends, and I look after his old house in Aldershot having fitted a new boiler for them there about 8 years ago(which is quite a trek to just service and certify one boiler)
So I seriously hope that's not a typo..... got 10 guys that won't be too happy.

That's getting me a little worried now. I've had an email just a few days ago saying E200, it reads for the 3 nights,breakfasts and 2 evening meals per person.
I met him initially the first time we went to Arromanches as part of a group in 01. He came running down into the square, covered in building dust, and handed out his cards saying 'we'll be open next year'. I kept that card and took the wife and kids there a few years later. Then my best man asked about doing a Normandy tour with his workmates from Luton nick. That was the first group visit I organised, followed by a load more visits with my local Iam group. My wife and I have visited as friends, and I look after his old house in Aldershot having fitted a new boiler for them there about 8 years ago.
So I seriously hope that's not a typo..... got 10 guys that won't be too happy.
It will be fine dont worry

Adrian is a nice chap it just soured my experience at the time the only problem is the unpredictable nature of the loon and how he is getting on with Karen on the day - i have been there when they were having some incredible rows that carried on for days

I have just checked with a mate who i shared the room with and he reckons it was about 400 euros each and he also has a suspicion that the bloke who actually organised the trip had his bill shared between the rest of us so i may well be doing Adrian a diservice as thinking about it the Bloke who organised it was a bit of that type

It will be fine dont worry

Adrian is a nice chap it just soured my experience at the time the only problem is the unpredictable nature of the loon and how he is getting on with Karen on the day - i have been there when they were having some incredible rows that carried on for days

I have just checked with a mate who i shared the room with and he reckons it was about 400 euros each and he also has a suspicion that the bloke who actually organised the trip had his bill shared between the rest of us so i may well be doing Adrian a diservice as thinking about it the Bloke who organised it was a bit of that type
That's something I've never done, but from what I hear it is very common for organisers to ask there bill to be spread amongst the group. Our last visit was pre covid, and I was invited to stay in the house for free as a friend, but come mondays breakfast Karen presented a bill, and even after Adrian said I was free she still had her money!! He did say he'd square it with me later, but thats never happened. Although we did meet up for coffee in Aldershot once covid lifted and he got caught for us parking too long in the Costa there. I'd parked next to the entrance and did a naughty 'out the in gate', so I guess I never tripped the camera beam when leaving:)
Karen can have her moments. I've one of our members that I can't take after they had words, cocky cockney chap she really didn't take to at all..
They are winding down a bit. 11 is all they'd let me take this time, had 16 before. No more Z beds squeezed in the rooms in the barn, so just 2 per room and 3 in the bigger room at the end. We're eating out friday night too as she's too busy getting rooms ready to shop and cook for us which is fair enough. Their biggest issue is they just don't communicate, with each other and their guests. They seem to swap mobiles around too, once found out I'd been texting their daughter in Paris cos she had the phone Adrian had used previously.
But like you, love em to bits, been really remis that it's taken 5 years to get back there.

Last edited:
Well what a brilliant weekend, as good as all the previous ones. I can confirm Adrian and Karen are still as mad as ever, the house looks just as it always seems to have looked, so all in all a great weekend.
They are reducing numbers a bit, we were 11 which is pretty much maximum, although I was in the house in their daughters old room, not sure they usually do that. So 10 might be the usual max. Breakfast is just continental now, with variations of eggs on toast, but still plentiful and varied. Karen did two evening meals, Pork Saturday eve and Steak Sunday eve. Simple but perfectly edible. Friday they booked us into the Mulberry Inn just round the corner which was very good too.
Saturday we had a wander round the square after breaky, the new museum is rather dominant now, not sure I like it. Wasn’t time to go inside as we had other plans for the afternoon. We eventually headed off to Carentan to check out the new elements to the Dead Mans Corner museum whch were pretty good. From there we headed back round Bayeux to Ver-sur-Mer to see the new memorial which is quite something. 034E9633-4520-4A69-AD3A-13F44DC1936D.jpeg
Sunday was a bigger rideout to Fougeres. Found a wee memorial to some resistance fighters on the way down, shot a few days after Dday.
ECA4C310-F920-4904-A1DB-4302DCACF300.jpeg
Lunch in Fougeres square, followed by some cracking roads towards Mayene and back up to Bayeux. Stopped at a viewing tower part way back.
87731F6A-BECA-4894-991C-20F6687FEEE0.jpeg8984231C-6D73-411C-909D-10A1A2D332B4.jpeg
Two of the guys were first time visitors, so once refuelled for Monday morning I took them up to the Longues Battery just outside Arromanches, which are quite an impressive sight for anyone thats not seen them before.
Mondays ride home was using much the same route down, but we had a good hours delay for a working train at the tunnel, and first a bed and then a crane scattered on the M20 back towards London.
But a great weekend, and Booked the same weekend for next year, but for one day longer.

Last edited:
I know of several situations where the organiser of trips (not on here), skiing, biking and other activities etc have done this and been found out and been promptly ousted from the group. Any discount from organising should be shared in my opinion.

I know of several situations where the organiser of trips (not on here), skiing, biking and other activities etc have done this and been found out and been promptly ousted from the group. Any discount from organising should be shared in my opinion.
That is what i have always done

The Strathcarron hotel would always comp my room if i took a group up there for a few days but i always spread the cost back so everyone including me paid the same

Back
Top Bottom