230,000 mile RT

Wapping

Reaction score
From RiDE magazine.

It might interest some here.

06f9200a15b33bfa320c9704eb24c678.png

Very good, but it couldn’t happen with a modern one. Current quality standards are a lot lower than 40 years ago.

Love these types of read, brilliant :thumb2

So come on people what ya got :nenau ST1100 here only 70,000 but Swiss watch, love it. All year bike :rob

TD

The tool kit includes feeler gauges.....Why do I love stuff like that?...:confused:.....

Same in the tool kit of my 1980 R65. Which also included tyre levers, and a hand pump that fixed to the rear subframe tube in the same way that pumps used to fit to pushbikes with the twp prongs at each end.
There's also a BMW lock that fits in the main frame tube under the tank.

Now that is how to be environmentally friendly

I know Len or more accuraetly i have met him a few times as he is a regular at Doncaster Motorcycles ( read into that what you will) which is owned and run by a good mate ( shameless plug for Doncaster Motorcycles they are very good proper old school bich mechanics )

Love these types of read, brilliant :thumb2

So come on people what ya got :nenau ST1100 here only 70,000 but Swiss watch, love it. All year bike :rob

TD

I love these kinds of articles.

I'm curious, how are older motorcycles affected by the E10 fuel, can you only use E5, does E10 mess with the carbs and fuel lines?

Now that is how to be environmentally friendly

I know Len or more accuraetly i have met him a few times as he is a regular at Doncaster Motorcycles ( read into that what you will) which is owned and run by a good mate ( shameless plug for Doncaster Motorcycles they are very good proper old school bich mechanics )

Known Len for many years .... he's a character for sure :thumb

:beerjug:

"Should be ridden and not turned into cafe racers"... Ha ha... :thumb

I bought my my 2012 GSA around 7 years ago with 17k on the clock. Last night it racked up its 156,000th mile (if I'd not been wfh mostly for the last 2 years, it would be at over 200k now).

Part of me wants to see 200k in, but the rest wants to change it for a newer one. Mechanically, it's sound, but cosmetically it looks as though I've done most of my mileage through the sea. :D

Harley 1340 EVO - tripped over 112,000 miles on my recent trip to snowdonia….( sure I cannot claim them all….as bought it in 2011 - but runs sweet enough..with a few new parts along the way:D)

I don’t think there’s a binding reason why a motorcycle bought today shouldn’t last a quarter of a million miles. Most bikes (and indeed cars) don’t last that mileage or 40 years simply because they get written off in a crash or just abandoned in a shed, way before that. The article ends pretty much on a crash, requiring a rebuild of some sort. How close the bike came to being a real total loss is not known. Good though that the fellow loves his bike and has the patience (bordering on love) to keep it going.

The article does show how a vehicle can be kept alive and that it’s maybe easier to do this with older ‘simpler’ models. I bet though there’ll be an article in RiDE 2062 with bods saying “I love those old 2021 bikes, I think my grandad had one. Great to see one still going. So much simpler than the hybrid hydrogen drive bikes we have today, with the auto speed sensors and third wheel. Thanks for sharing”.

Back
Top Bottom