Himalayan v BMW G650GS?

jojitsu

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm considering getting a RE Himalayan, but I have just spotted the a tidy looking low mileage 2014 G650GS at a similar price to a used Himi. I've never ridden either, but I just did a bit of reading and the 650 appear to be similar in some ways, ie, excellent fuel consumption, low seat height, good low down torque, good off road. It also seems to be a bit lighter and have over 45BHP, wire wheels, heated grips etc..
Can someone who has experience with both give me a bit of a comparison please.

Many thanks.

No but I know a man who has a mint condition G650 X-Country for sale, if you're interested. 52 bhp and c. 155 kg. Great wee bikes.

This is mine which isn't for sale.

Attachments

• IMG_4577.jpg
    IMG_4577.jpg
    260.9 KB · Views: 460
You need to ride a Himmie - not like any other bike. You’ll only know if it’s for you when you ride it
Hope this helps

If you do ride a Himi you will get a far better idea if it has done at least 1000 miles as the engine is smoother and more responsive once run in, even more so after 2000 miles. Quite a few demo bikes I was offered had only done a few hundred miles and nearly decided against it, but then I rode one with 7000 on it, wow what a difference. Now my own Himi is on 6000 miles I have seen the above play out as I got it new.

Having owned and ridden both extensively the Himalayan had a far smother engine with little or no vibration, the Rotax engine in the BMW is more powerful, both are good in an off road environment.

Back
Top Bottom