Engine splutters on hard acceleration

Gooed

Reaction score
New to the forum, be gentle! Searched the site for a similar issue but can’t find someone with all the same issues after all the troubleshooting I’ve done.

2006 R1200 GSA 30k miles (owned for 6 months), recently started having issues under hard acceleration. Past about half throttle, when the engine has warmed up, the engine experiences lose of power by ‘stuttering’. The engine will still accelerate but jutters and splutters as it goes!

Been troubleshooting for air, fuel and sparks. Installed K&N filter, replaced all 4 spark plugs, checked all 4 ignition coils create spark, checked each injector squirts fuel, cleaned throttle bodies, done valve clearances and throttle sync. Used Motoscan (K25) and found no trouble codes. Fuel bypass controller looks newish (black painted version). Unplugged lambda sensors while riding and no change. Run injector cleaner through fuel tank.

So, now running out of ideas apart from just expensively replacing ignition coils, fuel bypass controller and fuel pump!?

Any help would be appreciated.

Check compression? Rings could be failing

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

My 05 did this for a short while, it was the connector to one of the coils, problem just went away after I had disconnected then reconnected the coils.

I might have some spare coils somewhere if you want to try, daughter in Beverly and she’ll be coming over to us this weekend, I could send them back with her if I can find them

Let me know, perhaps pm me?

Welcome to the forum, coils can breakdown under load so I would not rule them out. I replaced all mine for less than £200 from sparkplugs.co.uk. The coils are badged Champion but are made by Beru who make the original ones for BMW. I also replaced the seals on the injectors as I could smell petrol on the throttlebody. I would also think about doing a hidden fuel bypass and installing a new fuel pump or doing a fuel pressure test.

Just as a complete outside red herring when ASC cuts in on my 2008 it splutters and stutters as it cuts power. I was off road at the weekend and when it first happened I thought ooh, somethings up, but then realised what it was. So I wonder if a bike has ASC and if wheel speed sensors are giving incorrect readings could it cause these symptoms. Just thinking out loud really.

There's been a couple of threads here regarding a blocked fuel filter which isn't a service item. The fix is to put a drill through it and fit a replaceable filter somewhere sensible. Might be worth a search for them.

Check the fuel pressure under full throttle acceleration 6th gear. it should be 45 psi on that year bike. The pumps do go weak.
Coils tend to brake down under hard acceleration even at low speeds.

Try it again with the fuel filler cap slightly open

My 2007 1200GS was subject to a recall about 5 or 6 years ago for fuel pump related issues.

Check yours has been done, you might a free new pump, I did!

My 05 did this for a short while, it was the connector to one of the coils, problem just went away after I had disconnected then reconnected the coils.

I might have some spare coils somewhere if you want to try, daughter in Beverly and she’ll be coming over to us this weekend, I could send them back with her if I can find them

Let me know, perhaps pm me?

That would be great but can’t work out how to pm you on this site!?

If running with the filler cap open fixed the problem, what would be the fault? Thanks.

Great, I think I’ll try coils as cheaper and less hassle then fuel system. If that doesn’t work sounds like an expensive fuel pump!

I don’t have ASC or ABS on my bike. But funnily enough the one fault code I did have was for a wheel sensor. I don’t have a wheel sensor which makes me think my ecu has been replaced from a bike that has ABS!? Anyway since this is a recent issue I’ve ruled out this dud wheel sensor fault code

@Gooed, think you might need to be a subscriber to send and receive pms.
It’s well worth the small subscription!

I’ll check tomorrow what coils I have, I’ve got a crap memory, I spent two days looking for the low seat that came with my bike..
If called me a daft sod and reminded me that I had sold it. I had even delivered it to the fellow in Derbyshire!

When I had a coil breaking down it was running fine on light throttle opening up to about 60 mph. Wider throttle openings it would stutter and missfire. I replaced both coils and it was fine after.

The fuel pump from quantum fits and can be bought for about £70 which includes the clips and pipe and a new filter that fits at the bottom of the pump. The hidden filter can not be replaced and will need to be drilled through. Then an external fuel filter will need to be fitted

Fuel pumps do not have to be expensive.
My 2012 fuel pump was down to 30 psi on hard acceleration and bogging ( Fuel pressure should be 60psi on a 2012 TC) the bike had done 43k miles.
New pattern pump from ebay less than £30 this one has now done over 30K miles so far and the pressure still looks good, (I have a fuel pressure gauge on the dash).

Back
Top Bottom