345LM keeps zooming out

Dirty Ming

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've finally found a small enough Zumo to fit the limited space on my 790 Duke and it's fine, apart from not being able to keep it zoomed in as I'd like it. I can manually touch the + button to zoom in, and have tried settings on Most Detail and Least Detail and it makes no difference to how far in it defaults to when following a route.

I'm sure it was a 345LM I had on my previous 1190Adv and had no problems with that one. Am I missing something?
I'd like it in the 50-80ft range but it comes out to 500+ft every time and it's easy to miss the purple line when cracking on

From Garmin
To enable or disable Auto Zoom:

Touch Tools
Touch Settings
Touch Map
Touch the button next to Auto Zoom
Touch Off or On
Touch OK to save the change
Touch and hold Back to return to the main menu
Repeat the above steps as desired.

When you say "from Garmin" do you mean on the unit or when it's connected to Garmin Express?
I only ask as I've tried to follow your steps but they're not exactly what I have on my unit. Closest I can get is Settings, Map and Vehicle, Auto Zoom on or off, no save option - but if I come out and go back in again it seems to have remembered it.

However, if I try it again and zoom the map to 50ft, every time I change screens it defaults to 0.2m

When you say "from Garmin" do you mean on the unit or when it's connected to Garmin Express?
I only ask as I've tried to follow your steps but they're not exactly what I have on my unit. Closest I can get is Settings, Map and Vehicle, Auto Zoom on or off, no save option - but if I come out and go back in again it seems to have remembered it.

However, if I try it again and zoom the map to 50ft, every time I change screens it defaults to 0.2m

Garmin website

do you have a screen protector fitted? If so, remove it and see if the problem persists. If the screen protector is putting some tension on the outer layer it can cause weird faults. This can increase in warmer weather due to differential expansion. I used to see this all of the time on screens using the same technology in a production environment - assembled machines would "fail" at the end of line testing, but only when the sun shone through the skylights. Hence why phones use a different technology using capacitance not contact.

No, there's no screen protector on it.
I've spent an hour on the Garmin website and can't find a manual for the 345, only the 395, which I guess is pretty similar. It tells you how to switch between enabling and disabling auto zoom, which I already knew how to. But I have the same problem with either setting. That's why I thought there may be something else I needed to do

No, there's no screen protector on it.
I've spent an hour on the Garmin website and can't find a manual for the 345, only the 395, which I guess is pretty similar. It tells you how to switch between enabling and disabling auto zoom, which I already knew how to. But I have the same problem with either setting. That's why I thought there may be something else I needed to do

yes the 345 & 395 are the same hardware - the difference is the mapping loaded onto each device at point of sale. Your 345 will have western Europe, the 395 covers all of Europe

I would try a factory reset. Maybe a device driver has become corrupted. If you have any data on the device that you want to keep, export it to Basecamp or an SD card first.

Gave it another try today and it seems better. Unchecked the auto zoom and chose 3D view rather than flat, and it seems to stay focused in better than before. I'll give it another run out in the week and see if it behaves. If not, I'll try the reset option. Thanks for your help guys

Back
Top Bottom