Replacing my tyres with sports touring rubber..foolish or realistic?

Kameloil

Reaction score
I am curious why a 80/20 tyre is necessary on the F750GS if, as in my case, all riding is done on roads. I bought the bike because it can do anything comfortably, but I cannot and I have no interest in going offroad. My view is why choose a path with less traction, when I spend all day scanning the horizon to find more? Also I have not run out of new tarmac yet to go hunting for gravel.

However I do live in Scotland, where road temperatures are cooler for longer and it can be wet, really really wet.

I believe I need a sticky competent all weather sports touring tyre. I am happy to stay with OEM manufacturer Michelin but swap to the new Road 6. Reviews suggest these warm up quick provide confidence, stability, handling and improved dry and wet grip over the previous generation. Maybe a bit more expensive, but with such a small contact patch, saving money on tyres is a risk I would rather not take.

What is your view? Am I suffocating the bikes talent? Wasting money on premium rubber? Choosing the wrong product? Wasting characters here?

Whatever works for you. From what you say, Michelin Road 6 would be ideal. I have Pilot Road 5 Trail on my GS and they've been great, especially in the wet.

If you did want something a little bit chunkier, Dunlop Mutant get good reports.

The most important thing that YOU can do to improve your bike is choose the correct tyre for the riding you're doing.

When I see big adventure bikes with knobbly tyres on when all they do is ride roads, I just just think they're bigger knobs than their tyres. Clueless riders. And sacrificing so much grip and control for a "Look".

Can you imagine turning up on a hard trail ride with slick tyres on your Enduro bike. You'd get laughed at. And you wouldn't make it 10 mins up the track.

If you're a 100% road rider, pick 100% road tyres. And don't go for hard tyres that last 20,000 miles. Get grippy road tyres that offer you maximum grip in the conditions you ride in. Wet, cold roads in Britain probably.

You can still ride over wet campsites and gravel tracks on a full slick tyre if you're careful.

The PR6's are probably an ideal tyre for you. But also look at Avon tyres. Often overlooked. But as a British company, they know British roads and they made fantastic tyres.

You don't need to ride fast to appreciate good tyres. Spend the money. They're always cheaper than sliding your bike down the road.

The most important thing that YOU can do to improve your bike is choose the correct tyre for the riding you're doing.

When I see big adventure bikes with knobbly tyres on when all they do is ride roads, I just just think they're bigger knobs than their tyres. Clueless riders. And sacrificing so much grip and control for a "Look".

Can you imagine turning up on a hard trail ride with slick tyres on your Enduro bike. You'd get laughed at. And you wouldn't make it 10 mins up the track.

If you're a 100% road rider, pick 100% road tyres. And don't go for hard tyres that last 20,000 miles. Get grippy road tyres that offer you maximum grip in the conditions you ride in. Wet, cold roads in Britain probably.

You can still ride over wet campsites and gravel tracks on a full slick tyre if you're careful.

The PR6's are probably an ideal tyre for you. But also look at Avon tyres. Often overlooked. But as a British company, they know British roads and they made fantastic tyres.

You don't need to ride fast to appreciate good tyres. Spend the money. They're always cheaper than sliding your bike down the road.

What he said +1

I used sport touring tyres on my R1150GS once Continental came out with the original Road Attack in the correct sizes c2002. I did the same with my Super Tenere once the OE Trailwings were worn out.

I have a R1200RS now, which uses sport touring rubber as standard. I'm a big fan of the Avon Storm 3D XM. I ride all year and the roads in the Cotswolds get quite slippery in winter due to the quarry lorries contaminating the roads. They grip well and last a long time. They are a lot cheaper than the Road 6 or equivalent from Bridgestone and Metzeler.

Yep, same here, started when they made the first Pilot Road tyres in the right sizes for my Varadero in 1999 and been using sport touring tyres ever since

Defected from Michelin to Continental a few years back

Thank you all. Glad to see I’m not alone on this and some interesting options that have been suggested. Metzler, Avon even Continental it seems so I’m going to have to read more…!

Conti CTA3 I had on the front of my 800 twin, worked very well. Definitely road biased. They claim to have the fastest warm-up time, so may be a good choice for you? My rear (on my 1200 GS) is on 6000 miles and I just swapped it with 3mm of tread because I'm off to Spain and expected to to be borderline illegal on return, the front has enough left so I am guessing it'll do over 8k miles. Very confidence inspiring.

Back
Top Bottom