Slow iMac

oblertone

Strawberry fields ... forever
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
For the last five years we have used an iMac for routine stuff, nothing very exacting and certainly nowhere near to its capability; of late we have noticed that it is very slow to boot up, change profiles, or work in general. Knowing little or nothing about these machines I have failed miserably to find any inbuilt utilities to speed things up or clear out the accumulated rubbish I can only think is degrading its performance. Can anyone point me in a sensible direction as web searches only provide me with the opportunity to purchase even more stuff I know little about.

Have you updated to the latest software? That should be the first place to check.

Try looking in Activity Monitor, which is an apple app that will be installed on your machine. Look for any apps using a lot of CPU in the list. Nothing much should be in double figures when the iMac is idle.

Thanks - having a similar issue so fired up Activity Monitor which took about 2 mins to load!:blast Guess what was top of the list in CPU% - yep - Activity Monitor:yelrotflm But some interesting stuff on there!

Open Disk Utility and run First Aid on all partitions. See if that helps.

ok, results so far; latest software installed (auto updates :thumb), First Aid applied to Disk and Data (only partitions), i'll report back if any improvement.

Back
Top Bottom