First GS

Exrm193

Reaction score
I'm about to pull the pin and order a new 850 Adventure.
What's the standard seat like for all day riding??
Any other "Must have" things to get??
Cheers

Cheers

A wise choice :thumb2
While it doesn’t provide the ‘magic carpet’ ride of the 1200, and presumably the 1250, it’s a cracking bike.
I’m not endowed with as much arse padding as some Tossers & was a bit skepical in the beginning I’ve found the standard seat is not too bad. You get used to it…
A satnav relocation bracket is essential, see Wappings thread, as it’s dangerous, IMHO, where it is - your eyes are off the road for too long
Other than that it needs a front fender extender & rear hugger to minimise the amount of crud that acculturates. I’m also thinking strongly of Rox / up & back risers as me arms are a little short…
After that the world is your lobster - although there’s less farkles available that for the 12xx there’s still plenty if you search the usual sites

Cheers

Take one out for the day and ride it?

The standard seat is OK / fine. I do though have a Corbin seat, as I prefer the shape. Just like alternative footrests, tyres, bar risers, panniers or soft luggage, grip-puppies, phone or dedicated GPS untit, each to their own. There is no single truth.

My 850 GSA had a BMW 'Comfort' seat fitted - and it was dire. Extreme pain after just 90 minutes.
I have fitted a Sargent which is streets ahead in the comfort stakes. At the end of the day I guess it just depends on the shape of your arse.

The seat, you can decide for yourself.

As to ‘Must have’ things? The only things I have added that are truly useful are:

A. A short male to female extension lead, that plugs into the very awkward USB socket on the upper right of the dash. That though has become redundant as I have now converted my tank bag to have a power socket.

B. A short right angled Hella plug to go into the power socket on the upper left of the dash. It didn’t have to be right angled, I just thought it looked neater. This I connected to a three-headed female DC power lead to power:

1. My tank bag, see A above.

2. The remote temperature controller for my electric jacket.

3. One spare.

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/570382-12-volt-power-supply-upper-left-cockpit

C. A piece of Velcro on top of the front brake reservoir, to hold the remote temperature controller for my electric jacket in place. See B 2 above.

D. A flying lead, exiting underneath the seat on the near side, to power my electric clothing and, if necessary, to power my tyre compressor.

E. The BMW ConnectedDrive Cradle, to carry and power my phone. This is only because I am using the BMW ConnectedDrive navigation app, along with testing the beta version on behalf of BMW.

F. The BMW Emergency Services bar, which fits above the TFT screen, to carry my Garmin XT navigation device. I am running the XT simply as a back-up to the ConnectedDrive app.

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showt...S-Adventure-Relocate-sat-nav-mount’s-position

G. A third party support, to carry the mount for my XT on the Emergency Services bar, simply as the Garmin supplied Ram Arm support is horrible.

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/577855-850-GSA-Emergency-services-bar-Ram-Mount-and-XT

H. Inserts into the sharks teeth footrests, simply to stop the teeth cutting into my Daytona boots’ soles, which are quite soft.

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showt...-Rubber-inserts-for-the-shark-tooth-footrests

I have added nothing more, nor do I intend to. Will the bike work perfectly well without any of these things? Yes, of course it will. They are just bits that were useful to me. Others will no doubt recommend all sorts of bling, up to and including: Screens, reservoir guards, cameras, bar risers, different hand guards, adjustable levers, muffs, assorted tank bags, different panniers / soft luggage, tyres and, ultimately, dust caps. They are welcome to it all.

What did you decide on in the end?

I should have added that my tank bag is by Touratech, as the BMW one is horrible, as are all their tank bags.

My 850 GSA had a BMW 'Comfort' seat fitted - and it was dire. Extreme pain after just 90 minutes.
I have fitted a Sargent which is streets ahead in the comfort stakes. At the end of the day I guess it just depends on the shape of your arse.

Seats are like screens - very personal. I have an 850GS (not GSA). I found the standard seat unusable it was so plank-like. I swapped it for a Wunderlich Activ Komfort one and the transformation was astounding. I then did the same on my Turban and the transition was marginal.

Go figure…

Not got the bike yet....due early June. Emergency services sat nav bar being fitted....the dealer had never heard of it. I'll run a lead direct to the battery to power heated clothing, and maybe an Optimate. Front Crud Buster and Rear Hugger ordered.

Back
Top Bottom