Guzzi curious...

Jhock

Reaction score
I am curious about the V85TT, on paper it does not seem that far away from the r1150gs, of which I have had 3.

A bit lighter and with a bit less HP, but pretty similar.

I really enjoyed my r1150gs, I have recently bought a Yamaha Tracer GT 9, it is a beast of engine, but it might be a bit more than I wanted.

Just curious if anyone has had both the 1150gs and the V85?

What are the pillion accommodations like the on the V85?

I am curious about the V85TT, on paper it does not seem that far away from the r1150gs, of which I have had 3.

I really enjoyed my r1150gs, I have recently bought a Yamaha Tracer GT 9, it is a beast of engine, but it might be a bit more than I wanted.

One mans meat is another mans poison. Book yourself a nice long test ride. Much, much, much, nicer ride than an 1150.

find your nearest dealer , get a 2 hour test ride , if you have never had a Guzzi before ... you will either love it or hate it . there is no inbetween. they grow on you , like a virus.

the bloke above is a serial buyer/seller. .....he buys one....says he is never going to sell it .....see's another one 6 months later , sells the one he has to buy the next one.

one is never enough , you NEED two. when they are sorted, they are wonderful , an unsorted old one ....will have you wanting to "fix it with fire".

i have 6 . i have infected only 1 person here , there are others who have done it to themselves.

Yes they are quirky, but I don't think any more so than the first time you rode your 1150 - just different.

I have to declare possible new-ish owner rose tinted glasses but I have owned over 45 bikes* including 3 airhead and 4 oilhead BMs, and in my opinion my Guzzi 1200 sport is the finest bike I have owned. In build quality and design it just feels a bit more special than any of the other marques, and it's thoroughly engaging to ride.

* I'm not a chopper and changer, just been at it for a long time like most of us here!

find your nearest dealer , get a 2 hour test ride , if you have never had a Guzzi before ... you will either love it or hate it . there is no inbetween. they grow on you , like a virus.

the bloke above is a serial buyer/seller. .....he buys one....says he is never going to sell it .....see's another one 6 months later , sells the one he has to buy the next one.

one is never enough , you NEED two.

The reason I buy and sell a lot of bikes, is that I just want to experience as many as possible. I've decided to only have 2 bikes, so if I fancy something else for a while, one has to go. Picking up my 4th V85 next week and waiting with baited breath for the V100 mandello. I'm not suggesting I've plenty of money, but I do have a very healthy bike fund. This maybe last for another 2 years, goodness knows how many bikes I'll have in that time. I think I've had about 11 in the last 2 years, only a couple of none Guzzi's. Life's too short.

I have a V85TT and a 2018 GS "LC". I love the V85 - it's my go-to bike much of the time.

Bimbling round the Lakes and Dales (where I live) on the Guzzi is awesome. If you ride solo most of the time, and stick to speed limits, it's all the bike you need.

My brother just bought a V85TT having borrowed mine, he's downsized from his Tiger 1050 because he likes the lower more manageable bike (he is 62). His deteriorating eyesight also means he's no longer looning about at silly speeds, he loves his V85.

The big GS is in my stable because mates also have big bikes (and the GF's favourite), and whilst the 850 might JUST keep up (probably not), it's tongue would be hanging out. It does not have that huge torque to catapult you out of a corner and down the next straight that a big bike has. Two-up you need to plan overtaking a bit more. The GF is reasonably happy on the back of the V85, but the GS gets her vote as a pillion every time (more because of the D-ESA than the seat)

Awesome bike, handling and braking are amazing. Coming up 17k miles on my V85 and it's fab. It's been back to the garage less than my GS!!!!

It is also a bike you can enjoy a good hoon on the handling is great if you relax and let the long travel suspension do its thing it will travel "at pace" down a twisty road

Wrinkleyowlie , it wasn't a criticism , you and a few people here , change bikes alot more than i do . i tend to keep bikes for a long time. i've had one of them since 1984.

PLUS , i'm not good at selling them.

I have my 2022 R1150 GSA with about 165/170,000 on the clock on a SORN as my V85TT is my go to ride. Much the same in terms of power and torque in my opinion but the MG give me feet flat on the floor all day comfort - range is ~200 miles to a tank (down on the 330 on the GSA) but seem to be averaging 45-48mpg. Seat for the pillion is a bit smaller and not as comfy as the GSA (apparently) but in terms of an analogue feel its a good match to the GSA and the 4th gear howl in sports mode is lovely on the standard exhaust. I like it....

Wrinkleyowlie , it wasn't a criticism , you and a few people here , change bikes alot more than i do . i tend to keep bikes for a long time. i've had one of them since 1984.

PLUS , i'm not good at selling them.

Not taken as one. I have a mate who's never sold a bike. I think he has around 26 now and a nice little nest egg. I often wonder who was the smarter bike buyer.:blast

I would echo the above comments on the V85TT. Mine has just turned 3000 miles and gets better as they go on. Although I love it, have to say it could not be my only bike, the Twin Cam GSA would get that vote, but as I get older I appreciate lower weight and height so time will tell.

Interesting

I too am V85 curious, I have a test ride request in for this weekend. I went to see them when release but was put off by the TFT (should have twin clocks IMO) and none of the colours grabbing me. That's changed now I've seen the Centenario edition, I'd have to live with the TFT.

Just wondering how it'll feel to my very capable DCT AT. I really like the AT but I'm not using all it's capability if I'm honest

Interesting

I too am V85 curious, I have a test ride request in for this weekend. I went to see them when release but was put off by the TFT (should have twin clocks IMO) and none of the colours grabbing me. That's changed now I've seen the Centenario edition, I'd have to live with the TFT.

Just wondering how it'll feel to my very capable DCT AT. I really like the AT but I'm not using all it's capability if I'm honest

I had a DCT CRF1000 for 3 years before the Yam and now the Guzzi, if you like a bike to have character then the 85 should win you over

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I switched from a 02 GS1150 to the V85TT in October - https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/568109-Be-gentle-with-me-I-m-a-Guzzi-virgin-!

I've done 3000 miles over the winter, most of which was two up. Although there is less space than GS, the bike is comfortable and handles having a passenger and being fully loaded very well. I certainly don't feel its lacking in power compared to my old 1150 - you just have to use the gearbox a bit more and Sport mode makes a huge difference. I'm just about to undertake a 5K+mile trip to Italy and Greece on the bike so this will be a proper test, but one I believe it will pass with flying colours!

I had a DCT CRF1000 for 3 years before the Yam and now the Guzzi, if you like a bike to have character then the 85 should win you over

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had a V7 which despite being slow (for a 750) and suspect suspension…I loved it

Odd innit

I just saw a red and white V85tt. I think it's the first one I've seen on the road - what a great looking machine.

I’ve had mine nearly 3years. 16000 ish miles mostly two-up. Currently in the Algarve Portugal but this is our first big trip (Covid) but we have been to Brittany, Scotland several times and all over England on it.

I like it a lot, had a TC 1200gsa before and it’s a lot slower but with one exception is nicer to ride, more comfortable and unexpectedly roomier for two. The exception is the screen. Standard low screen is noisy, and deflects wind straight onto my shoulders. (6’3”). Therefore a lot of buffeting especially in cross winds or passing lorries. I picked up a used Calsci screen which is a lot better but still not really very good.

Two up I cruise at 55-65 mph mostly, it’ll do a lot more but it feels like hard work (screen) and fuel consumption drops alarmingly. It handles ok but I fell off on oil last year and haven’t got my mojo back yet (keep on watching the road surface rather than through the corner and every little twitch gets an over reaction from me). I’m working on it - Portuguese mountain roads are good for this. The motor likes to be revved. It is not a plodder but at the end of the end of the day it’s a push rod air cooled 850cc with sub 80bhp and less torque. Overtaking needs a plan usually.

I’ve made loads of changes: +25mm rear shock specc’d for our weight; full Mistral exhaust system and Vtwin boost plug - this trip I’ve discovered it lurvs 98octane petrol. +10miles mpg more, less to no pinking, smoother and feels like it has a bit more go. Lowered rider pegs (SW Motech), raised comfort seat, Bumot panniers, Guzzi top box, plus a few items from Pyramid plastics and the Guzzi/Aprilla accessories list (some items from other Guzzi/Aprilla bikes fit theV85).

Finish and built quality is loads better than BMW - a low hurdle I know. Paint is nice and thick and glossy, fit and finish generally really good, although there are reports still of certain nuts, bolts and stuff being loose out the factory and not being tightened at PDI. The only rust I’ve had on mine has been the manifold nuts which I replaced with some stainless triumph “acorn” style nuts.

Get a test ride for a decent amount of time and find some nice lanes to swing along. A blast down the motorway will put you right off it. A motorway is not its home. Nor come to that is a busy city centre - it gets hot, pinks and starts to just feel wrong. No, home is the open road for this bike.

Had mine for about 3 years as well, never suffered any pinking, bog standard apart from a slightly less restrictive silencer (I wanted to keep the cat)? Are you sure yours is properly tuned Austin? There's absolutely no reason why a modern, injected air cooled bike should pink, even when set up for emissions, which yours isn't and few if any reports of it with the v85 that I've seen? Mine's lovely in town, MUCH niocer than say, a Stelvio, which are a bit of a barge.

On the wider question, I've owned about 10 Guzzis, from Tonti era (1970s) through the Spine frame (1990s-00s) and the CARC era (1900s - 10s) and I agree the V85 is the "best" in terms of build quality and handling. I really like the fact it can be hooned down a twisty lane using most of the engine performance, as opposed to modern big trailies, which like almost everything else out there, are license losers if you actually use what they have. It will leave an 1150GS for dead down said lane (I've owned 3), mostly due to the lower weight (and better brakes as you'd expect after 20 odd years development) but feels similar performance wise in a straight line.

But that's just me, I hate pootling around on 1/3 throttle all the time, so most faster bikes hold little appeal. Get a long test ride as has been said. Nobody called an 1150GS slow, but here we are in more congested and policed times, and some people think you're brave heading off with "only" 80bhp.

I would also say it's the least "characterful" of all my Guzzis, yes it has more than a Tiger 800 which sound like whiney sewing machines, but compared to even a CARC era Guzzi from 10 years ago, it's a bit more sterile? That might be a good thing, depends what you want of course, a V11 from 2004 is like a trip back in time, and I don't mean 18 year!!

Also agree on the build quality compared to BMW, Guzzi have been very nicely built for last 15-ish years (since Aprilia and then Piaggio buy outs). People still think you're "brave" buying one though ...:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom