New Shoei Neotec 2 - which Intercom?

I have a Neotec II with SRL 1, no issues whatsoever regarding waterproofing or sound quality. It will pair with just about every other make of BT headset without any problems except Cardo, for it to work with a Cardo BT Headset we had to set the Cardo to pair to a second phone.

We recently had a Comms session in our IAM group to see which BT Headsets would work with each other. there were all makes there from cheap £25 Chinese sets to the more expensive Interphone, Cardo, and Sena. We found everything would pair to all the different makes, except Cardo, most would pair with Cardo using the Cardo to connect to a phone instead of an intercom, but some wouldn't.

I would say, from what I've seen, Cardo are one of the best on the market, especially when it comes to Mesh systems, but only if you want to only talk to other Cardo systems. It's compatibility with non-Cardo systems is rubbish.

The reason I chose to use the 50s over the srl is as I explained above.
This isn't rocket science. Do a little research between s20 and the 50s.
Google is your friend. Educate yourself !

SRL is an 8 track player in a Tesla !

I have a Neotec II with SRL 1, no issues whatsoever regarding waterproofing or sound quality. It will pair with just about every other make of BT headset without any issues except Cardo, for it to work with a Cardo BT Headset you had to set the Cardo to pair to a second phone.

We recently had a Comms session in our IAM group to see what BT Headsets would work with each other. there were all makes there from cheap £25 chinese sets to the more expensive Interphone, Cardo, Sena. We found everything would pair to all the different makes, except Cardo, most would pair with Cardo using the Cardo to connect to a phone instead of an intercom, but some wouldn't.

I would say, from what I've seen, Cardo are one of the best on the market, especially when it comes to Mesh systems, but only if you want to only talk to other Cardo systems. It's compatibility with non-Cardo systems is rubbish.

Agreed.
I gave up with my Packtalk as the pairing was very unreliable.And even when you were paired with a few mates, invariably you would get unwanted intercom calls from them when they were simply trying a different voice .command such as turning on their suit .
Luckily the battery pack totally failed after 11 months and I got a full refund.
I had a few issues with the G9X before that too.
I’m sure Cardo are better now-they couldn’t be much worse !! But I’ll be sticking with the integrated Sena units that work perfectly with the Shoei helmets and don’t make you look like an 80s throwback :)

If you actually bothered to research it you'll learn.
I'm sorry that it appears my pointing this out has hurt your feelings.
Bless.....

If you actually bothered to research it you'll learn.
I'm sorry that it appears my pointing this out has hurt your feelings.
Bless.....

Why would anyone buy a helmet that Shoei has spent money on to develop an integrated comms system with Sena and then stick a whacking huge intercom unit externally ?
I don’t need to do any research as I know that the Sena 50s has fuck all benefits -for me.
I don’t need a range greater than a mile or so when I only use with a pillion sat on the back ! And the 50S has a talktime of about 5 hours LESS than the 20s, which is much more important on a long day out.
So you keep kidding yourself and look a tad silly in the process.

11th time.
Because the SRL is outdated.
50s is far superior.
Hope that helps.
Also, why do you feel the need to be insulting?
As you say, the 20s works. I had one, that and the 20s evo.

Also.
I just purchased the S22 Ultra,
My note 9 worked well.
But in every way the s22, or any newer device will be better. Its how it works. I chose the best on the market at the time. It future proofs it. If that make a prat, then I'm a prat.

I haven't, and wouldn't ever criticise anyone for their choice of intercom. If the integrated system works for you well thats great.

I also haven't ignored the integrated system - I'm deliberately choosing to discount it -even the new Sena S50 doesn't make any claims of being waterproof. If, of course Sena do update this before I decide, then we'll see... I don't know what the deal is between Sena and Shoei but wish/ hope it included a clause to keep their systems top to date. BT 4.2 came out in 2014, 5.2 in 2019 and 5.3 last year. Clearly, it takes manufacturers a while to update and release products but 7 years is a long time in technology.
The current functionality of newer systems is dependent on the BT chip so older systems are never going to get the new functionality.

As for Mesh, I'm not sure if the wall between Cardo and Sena/ Interphone is a technical (which might never be overcome, or commercial, which perhaps in theory could be resolved.

Trebor - were the problems using BT with Cardo to other systems? Although BT is usually backwards compatible I wonder if there are some versioning gremlins (or wonky implementations)

11th time.
Because the SRL is outdated.
50s is far superior.
Hope that helps.
Also, why do you feel the need to be insulting?
As you say, the 20s works. I had one, that and the 20s evo.

Who’s being insulting ?
So anyway, that’s sorted.
If you need to talk to 7 mates 4 miles away for half a day (when the battery runs out) then stick a Sena 50S zit to the side of your lovely Neotec 2.
If you just need to listen to music/talk to someone sat on the back or in view (Ie,you’re riding WITH them) then get the lovely but SO outdated Sena SRL and enjoy greater battery life and a fully hidden system.

I don't understand the people who despise having a unit on the outside of your helmet?

The Cardo Packtalk Bold works exceptionally well in all circumstances for a full day, listening to pillion, mates, music and navigation.

It's as though they think it interferes with their cool look, but let's face it, they don't look good enough for a comms unit to make a difference.

Who’s being insulting ?
So anyway, that’s sorted.
If you need to talk to 7 mates 4 miles away for half a day (when the battery runs out) then stick a Sena 50S zit to the side of your lovely Neotec 2.
If you just need to listen to music/talk to someone sat on the back or in view (Ie,you’re riding WITH them) then get the lovely but SO outdated Sena SRL and enjoy greater battery life and a fully hidden system.

The Sena 50s Does everything and more and better and the battery last all day. Just accept it. Your 20s is obsolete. It does make me wonder why Shoei chose the 20s? If they used the 50s then i'm all in. But functionality will always be above ascetics.
As I've said above, If you're happy with the "Limited" 20s then thats fine. Getting all upperty because I pointed this out is a little strange.
But that tends to be the norm here.

I don't understand the people who despise having a unit on the outside of your helmet?

The Cardo Packtalk Bold works exceptionally well in all circumstances for a full day, listening to pillion, mates, music and navigation.

It's as though they think it interferes with their cool look, but let's face it, they don't look good enough for a comms unit to make a difference.

I just dont see the point of paying for a helmet that has been designed to have an integrated comms unit and then ignore this feature and fit an external unit which has no added benefit-unless your mates never actually ride with you :)

I just dont see the point of paying for a helmet that has been designed to have an integrated comms unit and then ignore this feature and fit an external unit which has no added benefit-unless your mates never actually ride with you :)

OK, caveated with being a solo rider, or one with pillion, fair enough, but integrated is usually developed with manufacturer handshakes involved, usually including profit, so nothing wrong with any rider finding the best solution for them.

Mesh is a game changer on group rides (two plus is a group) and the Packtalk does it impressively.

Also, you should be paying for a helmet to protect your head, nit because of its integral comms features. My well regarded Tour 4x still looks uber cool on the top of my shoulders (neck in between) even with a comms unit on the side, is safe and works well with my many riding friends.

This is actually an negative. You are being persuaded to use the system they have chosen. And in this case, obsolete equipment. I have three Helmets i use, depending on what I'm doing. Neotec 2, Tour X 4 and the one I use the most, My Scorpion Exo ADX-1. They all have the 50s Headsets fitted, so I just switch the unit from one to one.
Also, the Bluetooth of the 50s is more advanced than the 20s. Which, for TFT users is a big plus.

OK, caveated with being a solo rider, or one with pillion, fair enough, but integrated is usually developed with manufacturer handshakes involved, usually including profit, so nothing wrong with any rider finding the best solution for them.

Mesh is a game changer on group rides (two plus is a group) and the Packtalk does it impressively.

Also, you should be paying for a helmet to protect your head, nit because of its integral comms features. My well regarded Tour 4x still looks uber cool on the top of my shoulders (neck in between) even with a comms unit on the side, is safe and works well with my many riding friends.

Absolutely agree- anyone buying a helmet should first and foremost think about protecting their head- anything else is secondary.
I think part of the integration thing is to do with the new EC helmet standard which says something like 'helmets should be tested with their accessories'

Clearly no helmet manufacturer is going to test with all external systems. Some have done as Shoei have done and made some agreement with Sena.

Arsey, Onahi - I think you are talking about 2 different things -Features and Benefits
Tech specs are part of the features of any unit and I think most people would agree that newer systems tend to have improved specs. In that sense the Sena S50 is better than the S20
However if you do not get or perceive any benefit of the new/ improved features, then of course, its no better.
You are both right in your views but there is no sense in trying to impose them on anyone else.

I did think the BT issues between different manufacturers was largely sorted , and certainly manufacturers would have you believe that. However, as some of you have already said, maybe in the real world, thats not quite the case.

Mesh may have some way to go before they get useful interoperability (the Sena Interphone tie up would suggest it is possible with some co-operation)

Arsey, Onahi - I think you are talking about 2 different things -Features and Benefits
Tech specs are part of the features of any unit and I think most people would agree that newer systems tend to have improved specs. In that sense the Sena S50 is better than the S20
However if you do not get or perceive any benefit of the new/ improved features, then of course, its no better.
You are both right in your views but there is no sense in trying to impose them on anyone else.

For simply pointing out that the 50s is a newer more sophisticated unit, I'm a prat, and a prat too for wearing a Comms device on the side of the helmet. I don't take any of it personally of course. It seems the thing to do here is be insulting and start an argument, and always the same old people.

REF the BT. Initially the 20s wouldn't work with TFT in the very early days, until BMW adjusted the settings. A2DP works great across the board now. As well as AptX, But it took time.

Don't worry about Arsey.

He rambles on about how bad we look with a unit on our helmet and cocks his leg over that hideous shiney blue thing.

Not one to take style tips from :D

Here’s a happy compromise between:

A. Stuff integrated into a helmet

B. Stuff stuck on the outside

https://ultimateear.com/product/soundear-pro-bluetooth-motorcyclist/

I have a set on order, to go with my new Shoei Neotech, which will have:

A. No stuff integrated into the helmet

B. Nothing stuck on the outside

I have also ordered up a pair of their bog standard, no audio earplugs, as my existing ones had got a bit long in the tooth.

I have not created a spreadsheet to compare, battery life, range, how many other bikermates it can or cannot speak to or whether it will pick up signals from Jupiter, as I really don’t care.

Back
Top Bottom