New Shoei Neotec 2 - which Intercom?

The +mesh system which is a separate unit that connects to the srl 2 is in my opinion a great improvement over the Bluetooth sets, no drop outs and no button pressing to join your fellow bikers and interestingly the more who join the better the reception. We bought 10 sets and got a great deal from Louis moto.

£350 for the 2-pack at MotoCentral, then 10% off and free carriage, £162/unit if you can find someone else who wants one :)

That would be good but tbh I don’t really need any hassle. There are a few systems around that price - the Avant ( but it’s a bit porky too) and the new Freecom 4x which is BT 5.2 but a recent review said they could only pair to one non Cardo system ( and no Mesh with this particular one)

I guess it’s good to have choices.

Here’s a happy compromise between:

A. Stuff integrated into a helmet

B. Stuff stuck on the outside

https://ultimateear.com/product/soundear-pro-bluetooth-motorcyclist/

I have a set on order, to go with my new Shoei Neotech, which will have:

A. No stuff integrated into the helmet

B. Nothing stuck on the outside

I have also ordered up a pair of their bog standard, no audio earplugs, as my existing ones had got a bit long in the tooth.

I have not created a spreadsheet to compare, battery life, range, how many other bikermates it can or cannot speak to or whether it will pick up signals from Jupiter, as I really don’t care.

Sorry Wapping- didn’t mean to ignore your suggestion. I’ve had look on the website and don’t see a lot of detail but don’t doubt they will be quality items- and of course fully portable across any helmet. Will look forward to your review. Think you should reconsider the spreadsheet though:):)

For me though, I just want to put my lid on and go. I’ve been on rides before where some folk take a age to got ready to go, checking their gear fixing their make up, the weather etc etc - and that’s just the blokes!!

I've just bought a new neotec 2 + integrated sena comms kit.

I haven't used an in helmet speaker intercom system for years, opting for an ultimate ears in ear custom fit ear plugs instead, connected via 3.5mm jack plug into a clip on scala rider.

My main concern was that if the in helmet speaker isn't more or less exactly aligned to your ear canal, then you lose volume (music/speech) & clarity therein, so I was mindful that @ speed I wouldn't be able to hear alot.

However....took the plunge.

The helmet - Is excellent in every way; comfort, function, build quality, fully removable liner for washing, visor & sun visor, ventilation and using a flip up for the 1st time, it was pretty quiet....so I've no complaints whatsoever.

The comms kit
- Obviously as an integrated system so it fits perfectly as one would expect.

As previously mentioned - main concern was a lack of volume & would I hear speech/music @ speed.

As those with this helmet will know, there are spaces for the in helmet speakers so there's only 1 place for them to go and if your ears line up, then all good; if they don't (as we're all different ;)), then you will have to accept a degree of compromise. Sena/Shoei, IMHO, have missed a trick here and should have made the speaker space with a wider diameter and designed a wider speaker

Anyhow, I was able to test the helmet/comms kit last weekend in France.

> Set my phone volume to maximum
> Downloaded the sena app on my phone & and activated 'audio boost', which makes a small difference
> Set the volume on the srl to 1 press below maximum
> Ear plugs - I've got some old ultimate ears custom fit ear plugs, so used these as they have a hole in them where the speaker feed is so it made sense to use these

As it transpires, the speakers are very closely aligned to my ear canals which I was delighted with.

With the settings above, I was able to hear speech & music @ speed (phew) and the battery life was better than the instruction book portrays.

Sorry Wapping- didnÂ’t mean to ignore your suggestion. IÂ’ve had look on the website and donÂ’t see a lot of detail but donÂ’t doubt they will be quality items- and of course fully portable across any helmet. Will look forward to your review. Think you should reconsider the spreadsheet though:):)

For me though, I just want to put my lid on and go. IÂ’ve been on rides before where some folk take a age to got ready to go, checking their gear fixing their make up, the weather etc etc - and thatÂ’s just the blokes!!

No worries at all.

I was pleased enough with the integrated Sena system in my Neotech II, my experience at the time mirroring Bounce’s and Arsey’s.

Then more pleased again when I had it converted by Ultimate Ear (convenient as they are just half an hour or so away, across the river from me in London) to use their in-year monitors / ear plugs. A couple of years on, I thought that it would be worth at least trying their standalone Bluetooth system as well, not least as it is easily transferred from helmet to helmet, as you say. It should turn up next week. I am then busy for a week or so, but will be able to test it out when I’m free, not long afterwards.

Another vote for the SRL2 in the GT Air, also with the RC4 remote. Connects well and loud enough up to about 50mph. As I only use it for satnav instructions when looking for my hotel in strange (to me) towns, it's as up to date as I need. The lovely Mrs Saint and I don't feel the need for conversations when touring, so she doesn't have intercom.

Other systems may do more. It would be as unnecessary as I don't do group talk. The SRL integrates well. There is no external box to interrupt air flow around the helmet and cause noise in my left ear.

As for the ultimate Ears earphones, I'd worry about losing them. I can't lose the SRL without also losing my helmet. They do look good, though. Are they soft or hard plastic, do you know. I found the hard plastic earplugs uncomfortable.

There is no external box to interrupt air flow around the helmet and cause noise in my left ear.

Oh, that's what that noise has been in my left ear, over the last ten years:rolleyes:

:jes

As for the ultimate Ears earphones, I'd worry about losing them. I can't lose the SRL without also losing my helmet. They do look good, though. Are they soft or hard plastic, do you know. I found the hard plastic earplugs uncomfortable.

The Ultimate Ear plugs are semi-soft. Not as hard as the acrylic ‘solid’ ear plugs but not as squidgy as the chuck away ones, if you get my drift.

Losing them is tricky, as they are wired together. Unlike single earplugs, you are unlikely to drop just one.

As above, just got my new lid. (short story is that its just the best fit for my head).

Whilst the Sena integrated intercom looks great - it looking increasingly out of date compared to the competition (BT 5+, OTA updates, USBC etc), not to mention many reported issues around not being waterproof and meh sound quality.

I could, of course, remount my very old Interphone F4 (yes F4 - so old its not even on Interphones discontinued page), which even after a year or so in a cupboard, still works. The big unknown though is the battery status so reluctant to use the sticky pad mount option (unless there is a way to remove 3M VHB pad without damaging the paintwork).

So, if you have a Cardo or newer Interphone system, are you using the clip mount or stick mount? For clip mounts are you mounting over the lower covers (as per: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIs1psWgng8 ) or clipping towards the rear of the helmet.

With the voice/ SIRI/ Google control on some of these devices it maybe matters less?

Lastly, when you look into the current market, you can't fail to notice Mesh/ Mesh 2. I can understand wanting to keep in touch if out with a couple of mates, but 16, 20 ++ :nenau maybe there is a good use case but probably not for me. Isn't BT enough?

thanks for any advice/ comments
zappa

I use the SRL, it’s the neatest option but sound quality is poor and not loud enough over about 50mph if you wear earplugs (iPhone as music source).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here’s a happy compromise between:

A. Stuff integrated into a helmet

B. Stuff stuck on the outside

https://ultimateear.com/product/soundear-pro-bluetooth-motorcyclist/

I have a set on order, to go with my new Shoei Neotech, which will have:

A. No stuff integrated into the helmet

B. Nothing stuck on the outside

I have also ordered up a pair of their bog standard, no audio earplugs, as my existing ones had got a bit long in the tooth.

I have not created a spreadsheet to compare, battery life, range, how many other bikermates it can or cannot speak to or whether it will pick up signals from Jupiter, as I really don’t care.

I’ll prepare a review of the compromise alternative (call it what you will) non-integrated, not stuck on the outside, Bluetooth, dangle from your ears things, as and when they turn up from Sidcup.

They have arrived, which is a positive start and they fit my ears, which is another good thing. I have though only gone as far as pairing them with my iPad. The result, very good. Pairing them with my bike will have to wait until sometime next week.

They have arrived, which is a positive start and they fit my ears, which is another good thing. I have though only gone as far as pairing them with my iPad. The result, very good. Pairing them with my bike will have to wait until sometime next week.

They look good but I had a crappy experience with Ultimate Ear and not sure I’d use them again.

I use the SRL, it’s the neatest option but sound quality is poor and not loud enough over about 50mph if you wear earplugs (iPhone as music source).

Must depends on the ear plugs.
I have custom ear plugs and use the SRL in various helmets.
I certainly don’t think the sound quality is poor and with my Neotec 2 I can hear music up to about 80mph.

I have always found Ultimate Ear, right back to when Judge (UKGSer past) did stuff for them, really good. Convenient too, as they are only across the river in Sidcup.

I’ll let bods know when I’ve tried them out properly.

I have always found Ultimate Ear, right back to when Judge (UKGSer past) did stuff for them, really good. Convenient too, as they are only across the river in Sidcup.

I’ll let bods know when I’ve tried them out properly.

My UE Soundears packed up after about 15 months . I’d only used them twice and the right speaker died on day 1 of a 2 week trip .
They charged me £70 to fix and offered no goodwill despite barely being out of warranty .
Six months later the left speaker died on about day 3 of a trip.
UE wanted over £100 to fix.
I’d also had to go back to their hq to get them altered as the fit was wrong initially.
Not impressed with them as a company. Very arrogant and crap customer service .
They were lobbed in the bin and I bought a Neotec 2/SRL kit.

Another good reason to go with an established, real world tried & tested, supported brand. Which is part of the cost. You only get what you pay for !

They look good but I had a crappy experience with Ultimate Ear and not sure I’d use them again.

Must depends on the ear plugs.
I have custom ear plugs and use the SRL in various helmets.
I certainly don’t think the sound quality is poor and with my Neotec 2 I can hear music up to about 80mph.

Interesting. My earplugs are Ultimate Ear custom, but the sound from the SRL is only good to 60mph.

However, I’m beginning to wonder if some of this is due to my nanny state iPhone. It sent me a message saying I’d been listening to loud music for too long! So I wonder if it turned the volume down.

Interesting. My earplugs are Ultimate Ear custom, but the sound from the SRL is only good to 60mph.

However, I’m beginning to wonder if some of this is due to my nanny state iPhone. It sent me a message saying I’d been listening to loud music for too long! So I wonder if it turned the volume down.

I set my i phone volume to maximum, then use the srl unit to reduce the volume if needed.

In the i phone settings, go to sound & haptics - headphone safety - and there’s this screen:

6320ba12b5afe7a6d67c8d6c098de982.jpg

The bit in the red box you can set to a maximum of 100 decibels, or reduce down by moving the slider button. So you may want to play around with this setting to increase volume at higher speeds.

I tested my kit a couple of weeks ago, and I could hear music at higher speeds.

After the last updates, The volume now works on the handle bar wheel, but i still use the 50S volume control, Habit I guess, ? With the new 50s Speakers, It doesn't matter what speed i'm going, Its still Chrystal clear.

Wapping, do they have any controls on them? Pause/skip etc - I see there's a button on one of the cables. Or must they be controlled from your phone/music source?

Yes, they have the conventional controls, much like any other Bluetooth in-ear speakers. I guess though that you’ll also be able to control some of the functions from within the TFT screen / whirlywheel thing too. I guess too, that control via Siri might be possible. Assuming that is that the owner has such wonders.

Yes, they have the conventional controls, much like any other Bluetooth in-ear speakers. I guess though that you’ll also be able to control some of the functions from within the TFT screen / whirlywheel thing too. I guess too, that control via Siri might be possible. Assuming that is that the owner has such wonders.

I might give them a try, mostly I just listen to music and the Sat nav, and try not to talk to other people!

Back
Top Bottom