Top test result for BMW Paceguard

GS2022

Reaction score
MotoCAP (Australia’s independent test house for bike clothing) has issued its latest gear test results. And MotoCAP reported that: “The RST Kevlar Tech Pro CE men’s denim pants and BMW Paceguard textile pants were the highest performing, receiving four out of five stars for safety.”

https://motocap.com.au/products/pants?f[0]=primary_material:Textile

The Paceguard pants have become the highest-rated textiles for safety (abrasion resistance, seam burst strength, and armour’s impact absorption). MotoCAP hasn’t tested the bespoke British clothing – I’d expect Hideout Hi-Pro, BKS 100SX, and Scott Leathers’ New Road and Road Airflow would be even more protective. Nonetheless, the Paceguard’s test results look good.

So they seem to have tested 50 textile trousers, some of which I have never heard of. How do their tests compare to the A, AA and AAA ratings? Don't see the latest Rukka textiles having been tested. Jeans wise, Rokka aren't mentioned which are supposed to be some of the best for protection. Looks like limited clothing tested

So they seem to have tested 50 textile trousers
MotoCAP tests gear that's available in Australia.

How do their tests compare to the A, AA and AAA ratings?
MotoCAP's tests are more rigorous than the A, AA and AAA ratings. The A/AA/AAA testing is done on a machine that tests for abrasion on smooth concrete (a best-case scenario), whereas MotoCAP tests are done on a 60-grit surface representing a typical road.

Also, unlike MotoCAP, the A and AA tests require negligible abrasion resistance for trousers' backside. They don't treat the buttocks as a high-risk zone. However, it's well-established that sliding on your backside is common! Only the AAA rating requires decent abrasion resistance for our asses.

Don't see the latest Rukka textiles having been tested.
I expect Rukka would score poorly for protection. Rukka only has one suit, the Kingsley, with an AA rating. Everything else from Rukka has a worse (e.g., a single 'A') safety score. In the Kingsley, Rukka uses a double-layer of Kevlar and Armacor for the high-risk zones (shoulders, elbows, knees, etc.). Unfortunately, the rest of Rukka's clothing range only has a single abrasion-resistant layer, even in the areas at the highest risk of abrasion.

Rokka aren't mentioned which are supposed to be some of the best for protection.
Rokker jeans are well-marketed but only single layer, and I recommend watching Bennetts' investigation into the protection claims for single-layer jeans: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n22vtWc8QRw :thumb

Thanks, really informative. The video about jeans was enlightening. I don't ride in jeans but do when its not raining always ride in BKS Made to Measure Leather trousers, which faired very well :)

Gs2022 - that is a proper, evidence based response. Thank you and well done. Much more useful than some baseless opinion...not that you ever see that on this forum..

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom