Applecross

Know Dunoon very well. It’s Claire’s home town.

I've thought about going to the Jazz Festival in Dunoon but it's a fair hike and the local jazz fest trumps it I'm afraid. Connolly's song is from the time the town was at the peak of its decline from the "doon the watter" days. I should be over that way next week en route to Kintyre via Hunter's Quay and Portavadie/Tarbert.

Hopefully you get a free run over the Bealach. Roads are surprisingly quiet at the moment. Guess a lot of folk were away for Easter so we’re in a ‘sweet spot’. Enjoy.

I did! It was almost devoid of bikes and motorhomes, and most of the traffic was locals going at a fair lick. It was a stunning day, absolutely perfect for it apart from a touch windy. Came round the coast and stopped at Kinlochewe for a coffee, another superb road, and then the (relatively) dull trek down to Inverness.

Undoubtedly the best day day I’ve ever had on a bike. I videoed the whole Bealach na Ba, but it’s mostly me just saying “wow!” over and over. F750GS was the ideal bike for the run, nimble and enough power. Those uphill hairpins are a thing!

Didn’t post this last night - Skye Bridge at sunset. Pretty.

34a53c41cb507dc4aad5a33e02efdd9c.jpg

Stopped after a few miles at Plockton. You need a bit of self discipline not to keep stopping actually, or it would take days to get anywhere

e2018cdd7f8cb2882b1520019fbf4a88.jpg

Ardheslaig apparently (just as well the phone records where photos were taken!)

be23939469e646483a571c810cccfb08.jpg

Looking down on Loch Maree. Apparently Queen Victoria liked it here too, according to the plaque.

dd5f4bed01512c5409958bea908f8a12.jpg

What a day!

Looks very stunning. I’m currently at Portpatrick, it’s April and yet I managed to sit outside and have my evening meal whilst gazing out towards the port. Tomorrow is Girvan and the Galloway Forest which is predicted to be even warmer than today.

Some great roads in Galloway. I’m heading home tomorrow, probably down the east side of Loch Ness / through Glencoe. All roads I’ve travelled many times, so the toughest leg will be the last bit, the one which relies on Caledonian MacBrainless having an actual ferry which works - not a given!

Stunning! The weather makes all the difference.

Bealach na Bà - August 2019

Attachments

• IMG_2135.JPG
    IMG_2135.JPG
    81 KB · Views: 376
That looks less fun! Worth going back on a decent day

I'll be up the west coast in three weeks time. Six of us with too many miles planned, starting in the SE. The itinerary: To Richmond, Dumbarton, Oban, Ullapool (3 nights), Cumbernauld, Preston and home again.

I'll be up the west coast in three weeks time. Six of us with too many miles planned, starting in the SE. The itinerary: To Richmond, Dumbarton, Oban, Ullapool (3 nights), Cumbernauld, Preston and home again.

Hopefully you get decent weather, it’s a cracking ride.

If you’re in Ullapool, try The Seafood Shack - it’s basically a food van, but amazing stuff. There’s a similar one at Applecross which isn’t bad either

If you are in Applecross looking for grub, and the Inn is stowed out......as it often is....go to the Potting Shed a few hundred yards towards Shieldaig.

If you are in Applecross looking for grub, and the Inn is stowed out......as it often is....go to the Potting Shed a few hundred yards towards Shieldaig.

Or just get a take away from the bullet van just outside the Inn, good food and cheaper, also nice to sit out and eat if the weather is clement and before the midge hatch.

Agree, the Potting Shed is also a very good spot to have dinner and breakfast. The Junction Cafe has ok pizza but you can get a good breakfast and very nice coffee there :thumb2

I'll be up there in a fortnight, looking forward to it,just me and my bike and a tent.
Ride past the pub,heading south and you come to the road end,good place to catch mackerel in August

I'll be up there in a fortnight, looking forward to it,just me and my bike and a tent.
Ride past the pub,heading south and you come to the road end,good place to catch mackerel in August

Little known fact....that area renowned for being bad for adders....one guy I know won't get off his boat unless he's wearing wellies......

Back
Top Bottom