Applecross

Tricuspid

Reaction score
Weather is very unscottish, so it’s time to hit Applecross and do the bits of the NC500 I missed last time. Nothing too ambitious, three days, 700 miles, forecast is glorious.

First job - get off the island. Caledonian Macbrayne, the state-owned shambles who run the ferries, are living up to their usual standards. Turns out “shuttle service 1100-1800” doesn’t mean there will be an actual ferry at 1100. Silly me.

5e02bfca6a3d11ed28e8de992e036dcb.jpg

acdb86ee1fc64cbbd049d23c6a05205a.jpg

Lunch at Lochgilphead which, it turns out, is indeed at the head of Loch Gilp. Which is a bit odd, because I’m looking out over Loch Fyne, but apparently this little watery cul-de-sac is in fact a whole different loch. The things you learn …

It’s lovely here … sunshine, a gentle breeze, the occasional tractor, swans and ducks paddling by, only a pair of canoodling lesbians to disturb the tranquility. Just as well it’s not the Sabbath or they’d probably be burned at the stake or something.

I’ve never seen a tractor paddling. :D

Should keep the weather, fingers crossed.
I’m heading off to Dunoon for a couple days. Forecast says wall-to-wall sunshine.

Bridge over the Atlantic. Apparently. Very pretty, not much Atlantic, tide is out

51193e4258c49b2aa9d0987d0f671f5f.jpg

4214fbd70710425713aa90e7193b0b00.jpg

Finished the day with a visit to the magnificent commando memorial near Fort William. I’ve driven past this dozens of times but never been able to stop. Very moving.

6ac5d7efbdb2c95b60edc506172eb70a.jpg

Tomorrow - Applecross. The Bealach na Bà!

Hopefully you get a free run over the Bealach. Roads are surprisingly quiet at the moment. Guess a lot of folk were away for Easter so we’re in a ‘sweet spot’. Enjoy.

Hopefully you get a free run over the Bealach. Roads are surprisingly quiet at the moment. Guess a lot of folk were away for Easter so we’re in a ‘sweet spot’. Enjoy.

We sure are, the place is empty! In 200 or so miles I saw a group of four guys on adventure bikes, and a couple on matching Harleys, with matching gear, at a petrol station. Saw plenty of rented motorhomes, but they were all heading south. Bliss.

The whole matching bikes with matching gear thing is very odd.
Even if they’re a couple…WTF?

Back
Top Bottom