Help me decide what to do

SimpleSimon

Reaction score
Hi folks,

Right, well I'm approaching the time where I'll be able to afford a new (second hand) bike to get me back out there after a few years off. Much groundwork has been done with the wife to get her final consent, and I'm now waiting for another vehicle to sell before I can go seriously looking at bikes.

I have three possible contenders, namely a 1200GS, a second generation (2015 or younger) VFR 800 crossrunner, or the Triumph Tiger 800. It will be my "one bike to rule them all" MOSTLY it'll be local ride outs of a couple of hours, but the odd longer trip with motorways and some light touring (no pillion) can't be ruled out. I will also commute on it a couple of days a week, but traffic is no issue on my journey.

GS
Very much has the reputation as a bike for every occasion, but they're a lot more money second hand and (no offence!) they're common to the point of being a bit dull...

Crossrunner
Middle price point. Honda quality. Never really heard of anyone not liking the V4.

Tiger 800
Cheapest (newer bike/lower mileage for same budget) Incredibly sexy engine sound. Factory luggage is ugly as sin (although I'd probably only want a top box anyway)

I'm not really interested in riding modes, electronic toys, etc. I just want a bike that will put a smile on my face, and that will be equally at home on a half hour blast round some local B roads as it would on a 3 or 4 hour run up the motorway.

What do I get?

Morning Simon
You got to test ride each one and then decide for yourself....
Regardless what anybody says about any of the aforementioned bikes.
Mate has a 1200 Triumph scrambler and it puts a huge smile on his face..
I am still on the 1150GS and it still put a smile on my face...:D
So try ...test and decide....best luck and have fun...:thumby:

Brother in law had the xc version of the Triumph, lovely bike to ride, decent mpg, light on tyres and chains and provided you get one that has been cosmetically looked after they are a good buy, his had racked up 34,000 miles plus and he still got a good part ex value for it.

He looked at the Crossrunner and typical Honda the build quality was excellent but the owners we spoke to all mentioned them being a bit thirsty and so so range.

GS LC personally I would not own one without a warranty , I would rather buy one of the last 2012 GS TC models

Wise advice, thanks. I'm not sure what local dealer's attitudes are to test riding used stock but it would help. I suspect I'd fall easily in love with any of the three...

Morning Simon , Albatross is spot on. You need to try them. If you’re looking at a GS of more than about 5 years old, it definitely needs a warranty with it. In my own experience the newer the GS, the poorer the quality so go for a pre LC model. I bought a new 1259 GS and it had to be recovered at 3 months old….not good.
The Honda will just go on forever, but when I tried one it was a bit soulless.
As for the Triumph. Folk who own them , love them.

Triumph…… it will meet your requirements perfectly, and put a smile on your face

The Honda is dull, like a washing machine does it’s job… but…..

A GS is great also, but heavier and not issue free…..( I still like em though… )

My simple advice would be not to ‘overbike ’ yourself. Go for one of the middleweight options if , as you say, you don’t intend to do any 2 up touring. Try before you buy is good advice but often with a used bike they’ll probably only let you take one out because you just want it makes sure there’s nothing wrong with the actual bike you are buying,

If it’s a Crossrunner you decide on I don’t think you’ll find the V4 soulless. Go for the Mark 2 version though , it’s much improved on the Mark 1 and keep an eye out for one of the bikes they were selling with heated grips, pipe and topbox fitted as standard.

For what it’s worth Bike magazine tested the Runner versus an MV 800TV and a Tiger 800 and voted the Honda the better overall bike . It also scored 10/10 in its solo test and not too many bikes get awarded that.

You might get a well equipped V Strom 1050 for close to your budget.

For solo use the Triumph will be all the bike you’ll ever need and a bit more light and nimble than the GS, finish is as good as the other 2 and the engine is well rated

The GS is possibly the best all rounder in existence, the boxer engine is fantastic (but noisy) most people love the telelever front end and it’s got shaft drive, it’s also very easy to service if you’re on a budget or just want to do it yourself

As suggested, get a decent test ride, shops will be fine with that

GS - tiresomely ubiquitous and not as reliable or as good a quality as they used to be.
Crossdresser - thirsty and quite heavy.
Triumph - pick of the bunch here for what you want - most fun of the lot

Depends on the budget, but best look for a middleweight initially.

An old buddy of mine got himself back on 2 wheels at 60+ with a Yamaha Tracer 700. Still loves its versatility several years later, but talks of moving up to the 900 triple next.

However £3-4k puts you on an F650/700GS, a brilliant commuter bike - light handling & economical, more than enough to get you back in the groove.

Thanks for the input folks. I think the GS is probably off the table unless one comes up locally that's too good to turn down. As for the other two - heart is saying Triumph, head is saying Honda. Will definitely have to try and test both.

Thanks for the input folks. I think the GS is probably off the table unless one comes up locally that's too good to turn down. As for the other two - heart is saying Triumph, head is saying Honda. Will definitely have to try and test both.

What about the 650DL for sale on here ?

Simon. One thing to remember is that as you have been off bikes for a while you may get a bike, then as you get back into it you may realise its the wrong one.
We are all human and it just happens.

I’ve had heavy bikes and lighter ones. The ones that got the most use were those that were easy to get out of the garage didn’t need to be ridden at illegal speeds to enjoy them. It’s easy to get drawn into speed and power figures that, 95% of the time you won’t use. I’m very happy with my Tiger 800; it’s not perfect (suspension could be better, and it needs to be revved if I’m in a hurry) but I’m ok with the compromises I have to make.

I agree with albatross.

People all have different opinions, but at the end of the day if you get on the bike everyone says you should have, but it doesn't feel right?

its a chore people dont like to do, but test riding is key.
I spent a week test riding 5 different bikes, after 1 mile i knew i wanted the GS
as im 6 foot 4 and nearly 17 stone the GS fits me great and i feel very comfy on it.

You don't mention the
Honda Africa Twin, KTM 1290 or Ducati Multistrada

I would add them to your test rides too

Simon. One thing to remember is that as you have been off bikes for a while you may get a bike, then as you get back into it you may realise its the wrong one.
We are all human and it just happens.

You're not wrong there, not many bikes are bad bikes but I've ridden one or two before that left me feeling very uninspired. I definitely don't want that!

I agree with albatross.

People all have different opinions, but at the end of the day if you get on the bike everyone says you should have, but it doesn't feel right?

its a chore people dont like to do, but test riding is key.
I spent a week test riding 5 different bikes, after 1 mile i knew i wanted the GS
as im 6 foot 4 and nearly 17 stone the GS fits me great and i feel very comfy on it.

You don't mention the
Honda Africa Twin, KTM 1290 or Ducati Multistrada

I would add them to your test rides too

Sadly I think the Ducati and KTM would be a little out of my likely budget. And for no particular reason I've never really fancied an Africa Twin...

One of the sweet east bikes I’ve ever ridden was a triumph streettriple, what about 650 cc and even though I’d just stepped off a Ducati 1200 multistrada it felt a damn fine bike.

Honda = dull

Bmw = less dull than Honda but not all they’re cracked up to be I loved my 2014 GS which I owned from new but somehow I feel the triumph is a better bet for you and likely to be more involving.

Back
Top Bottom