What do you get with an iMac?

Ali-bear

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Starting to look like my old windoze-7 machine is a bit long in the tooth.
The only reason I keep this old thing going are:
  • Adobe Lightroom
  • Garmin Basecamp
  • Sony Mediago
So I may be interested in an iMac.
I assume you get iTunes pre-installed. Now I'm not an iPhone guy I use Android. What I need to know is (Q1) will iTunes rip from my CD's onto AAC/M4A format? This is important to me and currently I use the old Sony Mediago software for this, and support is discontinued.
I suppose I need to ask (Q2) is Basecamp supported?

Thanks,

Starting to look like my old windoze-7 machine is a bit long in the tooth.
The only reason I keep this old thing going are:
  • Adobe Lightroom
  • Garmin Basecamp
  • Sony Mediago
So I may be interested in an iMac.
I assume you get iTunes pre-installed. Now I'm not an iPhone guy I use Android. What I need to know is (Q1) will iTunes rip from my CD's onto AAC/M4A format? This is important to me and currently I use the old Sony Mediago software for this, and support is discontinued.
I suppose I need to ask (Q2) is Basecamp supported?

Thanks,

Mac’s don’t have disc drives, you’ll need an external cd drive. No idea if you can rip a cd with iTunes, did all mine long before I bought a Mac.

You absolutely can rip CDs with iTunes. Don't know about formats as I did all mine many years ago back when MP3 was all the rave. But Google says AAC is supported.

That said, I seem to recall that Apple Music does something where if you want, it replaces all of your ripped tunes in your library with the highest quality version it has online.

BaseCamp is supported on the Mac.

Yeh well they can take control of my music out of my cold dead hands.

Guess I should look for an older machine that still has the optical drive, or get a modern one and an external drive

Yeh well they can take control of my music out of my cold dead hands.

Guess I should look for an older machine that still has the optical drive, or get a modern one and an external drive

Don't get me wrong - they aren't taking control away from you, just that if you have (for example) Red Door by Jimi Hendrix at 256K mp3 on your drive, they offer you the option of also having the same track, losslessly encoded. Basically, any tune you own, they will give you a better quality copy of it, if they have it on iTunes.

Seems like a win to me.

But I would go for a new machine with an external optical drive. Drives cost peanuts these days.

I occasionally use an external optical drive with both my iMac and MacBook Pro. It’s no hardship whatsoever and doesn’t detract from the main ‘PC’ itself.

It works as soon as you switch it on and doesn't spend an hour installing fcking updates and running as slow as a piece of sh1t like my other half's work laptop every time I have to 'fix' yet another problem with it....

Buy one, its how computers should be

Yes you can rip via iTunes. You can decide between AAC/mp3.

The Superdrive from Apple (CD/DVD burner) is less than 50 I think.

Basecamp has a few issues, works, but looks like it is being abandoned by Garmin.

Free program XLD works well and rips to these formats.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-04-25 at 14.11.27.jpg
    Screenshot 2022-04-25 at 14.11.27.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 193

It works as soon as you switch it on and doesn't spend an hour installing fcking updates and running as slow as a piece of sh1t like my other half's work laptop every time I have to 'fix' yet another problem with it....

Buy one, its how computers should be

What he said...

Ive had MacBooks since 2008, i would NEVER EVER go back to a PC, they are shit and you dont realise how shit they are till you buy a Mac..

Another Mac fan
I/we use Mac for everything personal its just a shame that so much of our work stuff is windows based because Windows MS stuff drives me mad in comparison to the Mac - it just works

I even find that the MS office stuff for Mac works better than the MS office for windows

I'm not a fan of windoze either, but need a machine to do those things - Lightroom, Basecamp and an AAC/M4A ripping.

My usual laptop runs only Mint Mate off an SSD, and I also have a Chromebook.

Very happy now with the refurbed iMac I bought. Basecamp is up and running, CD's have been ripped to M4A from a cheapie external drive.
I have got it dual-booting with my chosen Linux distro that is Mint Mate. Only problem is this iMac has a funny Cirrus Logic sound chip that is not supported in Linux so the built-in speakers and microphone don't work in Linux. Perhaps this will be solved in time but that's fine for now.
Thanks chaps :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom