Is anyone still using Autocom?

Andy B

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have put up a barely used Kenwood TK3201 handset in the for sale section. It’s clocked up 128 views but I was just wondering if I am pi$$ing in the wind? I know the business still exists but I just wondered if everyone (me included!) has gone Bluetooth?

Autocom, who made very good systems, lost direction when they refused to acknowledge that Bluetooth was the way forward. OK, the early Bluetooth set-ups were pretty crap but, today, they are not. Mix in that GPS devices also evolved, turning into home entertainment systems, all based on a Bluetooth platform and the rest is history, overtaken by others,

They do make a Bluetooth system

http://autocom.co.uk/bluetooth-motorcycle-headset.html

But I can’t recall anyone on this forum saying they’d bought one. Maybe they are very good?

For those who bike train Autocom was great as you'd never have to charge anything but I found the lead to helmet was a pain and a lot of pupils I'd take out for ERS or RoSPA had BT units installed so trying to squeeze an ear piece in as well made it uncomfortable.

Trying to fit the Autocom and radio on a new GS/GSA is impossible without using a topbox or similar.

At a recent ERS Train the Trainer course I had 2 pupils with Fodsport BT units that paired to my Sena with no issues at all.

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

I was using autocom upto, in my last gsa pre tft. I only changed to bluetooth when I had tft.

I had no issues of where to fit the set up. I fitted the kenwood tk3301 with spa in a givi under top Box storage bag. With an external aerial mounted to the pannier frame next to the top box.

I still have the radios and aerials to potentially fit with a sena sr10 setup. Although I don't need it at the moment.

The spa was a brilliant system but the only thing that let it down was the headset and lead breaking down. And the fact that the bluetooth module only works on an early bluetooth version that now has been superseded.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

I still have the radios and aerials to potentially fit with a sena sr10 setup. Although I don't need it at the moment.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

I have an SR10 and Kenwood under the seat of my S10, I had issues when both were powered by the bike but a DC to DC converter sorted out the ground loop feedback. I only use it now if I'm out with any of the Rospa lot who still use radios.

I've got a Kenwood TK3201 radio from my old Autocom days which I had paired with my Sena 20S Bluetooth comms via an Sena external bluetooth-to-radio adapter (multi input) box of tricks.

I think I only used it once, it gathers dust in my garage now as all the Sena BT comms works line of sight without hassle and no need for a PTT switch setup.

I currently use a Schuberth C4 (noisy) helmet with its built in Sena comms module, but the helmet speakers are shit and it has no 3.5mm jack for my Ultimate Ears monitors, so I will probably go back to using my Sena 20S comms.

I think the community of autocom users would be a really small one now, and those who want to chat using a Kenwood radio absolutely tiny.

I was a big fan of Autocom at one time, it is great stuff but it is old hat.

Probably best stuck on ebay I'd suspect for those people that want to play at 'Charlie Tango Teakettle Barbecue'.. :D

I have an SR10 and Kenwood under the seat of my S10, I had issues when both were powered by the bike but a DC to DC converter sorted out the ground loop feedback. I only use it now if I'm out with any of the Rospa lot who still use radios.

Can you let me know what you used? or a link to it, we stopped using Sr10s because of the buzzing.

We still use Autocom as it’s still the only system where we both hear the sat-nav instructions (unless this has finally changed). We both want to hear music, communicate and hear the navigation instructions.

We had Kenwood radios when we used 2 bikes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably best stuck on ebay I'd suspect for those people that want to play at 'Charlie Tango Teakettle Barbecue'.. :D

One of joys of have an Autocom, linked to an illegally enhanced Kenwood, was joining in with other bods' inane bike-to-bike chatter. I was hooning along in the French gorges, when I picked up one Brit talking to another. It took them at least 15 minutes to realise that it was me and not one of them making the fragmented "I said turn, sqshhhhs, psssss, at th sqsssssssssh, ffffffff". Happy days.

Can you let me know what you used? or a link to it, we stopped using Sr10s because of the buzzing.
This is the DC/DC converter:

https://uk.farnell.com/tracopower/tel-5-1212/converter-dc-dc-5w-12v/dp/1204969?ost=1204969

I soldered it to this:

https://uk.farnell.com/mcm/21-4570/stripboard-46-x-92-mm/dp/2855011?ost=21-4570

I found out about it from this thread:

https://community.sena.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/216708786-SR10-Needs-Ground-Loop-Isolation

It works a treat.

I've just given up doing ERS training, having spent several years also examining blood biker's for suitability in the past. Most people are now on bluetooth, and have been for some time. I've got a full Intaride set with plug-in power unit to save carrying spare batteries.
It's also got FM radio and power button to boost the range.
Not really sure what it's worth but I suppose I'll sell it now.
Also got camera, which I occasionally used for feedback/debrief, expect I'll shift that on too.
How times change, and quickly too.

I currently use a Schuberth C4 (noisy) helmet with its built in Sena comms module, but the helmet speakers are shit and it has no 3.5mm jack for my Ultimate Ears monitors, so I will probably go back to using my Sena 20S comms.

Get Ultimate Ears to convert it for you. I got them to convert the Sena built into my Neotec II.

Get Ultimate Ears to convert it for you. I got them to convert the Sena built into my Neotec II.

Thanks Richard I will look into it (or maybe DIY). I didn’t know they offered such a service.

FWIW the Schuberth is an uncomfortable, noisy, hateful thing. In hindsight I wish I had paid £200 more and bought myself the Shoei, I was hoping the Schuberth would be a match for my old BMW System helmet but alas no.

They made a very good job of converting my Shoei.

The only thing I added was a small piece of Velcro to hold the lead / female jack socket out of the way (ie to stop it dangling) when not using in in-ear monitors.

Back
Top Bottom