10 Assorted (150 to 250 km) jaunts in Germany

Wapping

Reaction score
Courtesy of Motorrad magazine.

https://www.motorradonline.de/reise/kurzreiseziele-in-deutschland-zehn-motorrad-tourentipps/

Translate it it into English through the push of a button:

74492edbc50628bd99a30b2eb6d2a77e.png

4d20c419fc306fa07f652f2da13f7f8d.png

Before I start re-tracking these by hand in Basecamp...
Were there any Kurviger codes for these? Cannot see anything on Motorrad's page.

I find the Motorrad site very hit and miss with the GPX links. Possibly I, as a non-German speaker, am missing something.

I used the translator, but cannot see any links to download anything.

Well... I'll try to re-trace them by hand.
Will add the GPX files here when done.

Second: Route #3. Ore Mountains

ore-mountains.png

I didn't check on ViaMichelin, but not sure about the bit from Stollberg to Geyer. Looks like going south directly from Chemniz to Geyer would use some nicer roads.

The routes are never perfect. You can see in the first one where the bod probably started from home or a hotel.

No, Intentionally started on the main road off the town. Easier to point the bike at the start of the route.

To trace both of them I first located all (most) the waypoints indicated on the map pictures in the article, then followed roughly the shape/direction through the most interesting roads between the waypoints. It seems most of those run across curvy/flowing A and B roads.

I’m going there in May, so I can report back then :)

I meant that the person who suggested the roughly figure of eight route, maybe just happened to start in Fischbach. I mentioned this, just in case anyone thought that you must start from there.

frankische-alb.png

Anyway, we digress, as you are doing a great service creating the routes. Thank you.

As a bit of fun, I invested two euros in the article. It doesn’t have any GPS links. It does though show better where the 10 jaunts are located geographically:

798dffacdfd7bf0afc2cb7afe59a487e.png

Here’s the figure of eight route, blown up a bit:

61f22ec4800399095502897201d8613a.png

As I guessed, the author started from Nürnberg, I assume as it’s the regional capital or maybe because from there to Happurg (the middle of the eight shape) is a nice road.

Anyway, the 10 are pretty good and would make instant holidays for anyone who happened to find themselves there. This is helped as er-minio has kindly set about carving them into biker friendly BaseCamp….. an impossible thing to attempt, apparently!

PS After my lap of Germany, I became quite a fan of the place. It’s not that far from Belgium / Luxembourg to go a bit further eastwards to say Mayen or Fulda to see what’s on offer.

247b0a0f72e3ffe4a3a9d72c850460a6.png

That is from St Vith on the Belgium / German border (Battle of the Bulge territory) which an easy day’s ride from Calais or Rotterdam. Hopefully, the post and thread will give bods the encouragement to go elsewhere in Germany instead of going to the Black Forest again.

24f224e6cc5332d943c241b9925811ad.png

0c23968db65bf7bbc3d58998ff22eb60.png

bedc1fd05f435f112b06c6cebf69ff45.png

10ee5170508a682c1a7afbee30fe1c72.png

PPS It does show how much information and ideas there is available on the internet, often for free or for just a couple of quid (less than half a pint of London Pride) all available by just surfing around. I subscribe to the German touring magazines via Readly, not least as they are way better than anything published in the UK. I get ideas from them, which I shove up here. More importantly perhaps, I then do nothing more than put a place or German area name into Google - for example, Hessen - and then just add ‘motorrad touren’ and see what pops up. It’s a bit of DIY - which requires a bit of effort - but it’s a not unreasonable alternative to posting “Me and my six mates are off on Tuesday, we want great roads….”. You don’t have to speak German, I don’t. All you need is a bit of imagination (you pretty quickly learn some words) and have a tiny bit of faith that just because something appears in a magazine (paid for by advertisers, mate) it doesn’t mean that it’s automatically shite. They can’t all be bad or the magazines would have folded long ago. It does though make me wonder why the UK cannot support similar high quality publications; I guess the average British bikermate just ain’t interested?

Have fun, whatever it is you do.

Back
Top Bottom