Tyres for my XCountry

tim0409

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi

I bought my 2009 XCountry last year from a friend who had barely used it (500 miles in 5 years) and since then I've taken the mileage from 13k to 21k, and yesterday I checked the date stamp on the tyres (there is some perishing) and was surprised that they ranged from 2010 to 2013; I was given a set of off road tyres with the bike and I suspect they were taken off/swapped over before I got it. I have Metzeler Tourance on it at the moment, but given I never take it off road, I would be grateful for advice on what would be the best road focused tyres?

Many thanks

Tim

Having considered all tyre options for road use on my X Country, I went for a pair of Continental Trail Attack 3

They are superb in every respect and highly recommended.

The Avon’s look a good alternative but I have no experience of these.

Hi, I'm on the hunt for road onlky tyres niaw that I'm getting abit long in the tooth for trail riding ona big(iso) bike.

Looking at Avon Roasdrider Mk Its, anyone had experience of these?

Heidenau K60 Scout, good for street and green lanes,.

Very impressed with these so they are now top of my shortlist - good price too!

BTW, what is the screen on your bike?

One thing to note about the Trailriders is that the front tyre is of bias ply construction and doesn't, unfortunately, have the much vaunted micro sipes. I would have preferred that here in our wet climate.

The screen is, as far as I'm aware, an OEM BMW accessory. It was on the bike when I bought it from an inmate on here four years ago.

One thing to note about the Trailriders is that the front tyre is of bias ply construction and doesn't, unfortunately, have the much vaunted micro sipes. I would have preferred that here in our wet climate.

The screen is, as far as I'm aware, an OEM BMW accessory. It was on the bike when I bought it from an inmate on here four years ago.

I don't think that's such a big deal as the stress on the front wheel is so much less. Anyway I've just ordered a pair as I think from now on the only off road riding I'm going to do on my X-Co is getting into various amp sites - with my Beta Alp it's another matter entirely :)

As for the screen: the quest continues ...

It looks like the OEM one is still available. However, it is the best part of €300. https://partsrepublik.com/en/moto/bmw/bmw-g650-xcountry--650-2007-2008/windshield-sport-tinted

If mine hadn't come with the screen fitted, I think I'd have been fitting one of these. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/403056231835?epid=1705401320&hash=item5dd806059b:g:rSEAAOSwPBNhEJBM

Thanks for this. I've looked at the Puig, made here in Spain, but friends who've had them complained about light from the headlights distracting their riding.

Many thanks for all the replies; I ended up going for Continental Trail Attack 3 and they have transformed the bike on the road. It feels much more “flickable”, although this may in part be due to the condition of the tyres they replaced.

Quick question on tyre pressures; I left a note with the BMW dealer to inflate the tyres to the pressure stated in the handbook when they changed the tyres over. He mentioned that they wouldn’t normally use those pressures….I didn’t ask why, but just want to confirm what pressures people are running?

Quick question on tyre pressures; I left a note with the BMW dealer to inflate the tyres to the pressure stated in the handbook when they changed the tyres over. He mentioned that they wouldn’t normally use those pressures….I didn’t ask why, but just want to confirm what pressures people are running?

The manual says 26.1 / 29 psi, F/R cold for just a rider.

In comparison, for the Trailriders, Avon recommend tyre pressures of 33Psi front and 36Psi rear. Increase these by 1-2Psi when carrying luggage and/or a pillion.

I suspect that Continental will also have arrived at their own figures from testing.

The manual says 26.1 / 29 psi, F/R cold for just a rider.

In comparison, for the Trailriders, Avon recommend tyre pressures of 33Psi front and 36Psi rear. Increase these by 1-2Psi when carrying luggage and/or a pillion.

I suspect that Continental will also have arrived at their own figures from testing.

I finally got my Trailriders after a crap service from an on-line supplier and after a few test runs - I'd also had my suspension overhauled and made a bit more stiff - I did a proper run yesterday here in the Pyrennes @ 31/33 psi. Fabulous results but next time out I'll try these higher pressures ...

imgp0008.jpg

Back
Top Bottom