Very odd problem when starting 2009 GSA

geotim

Rock licker
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Any ideas chaps and chapesses

Insert key.
Turn, all the lights work and dash wakes up.
Green Neutral light, pull in the clutch and Press starter button - nothing. Nada. Nix. Zero. No engine turn over at all…

Turn off ignition.
Restart the procedure and hey presto, up she fires nicely.

It is a hesitant / intermittent problem, doesn’t always happen, but enough to worry for a longer / overseas trip…

I had a replacement starter motor fitted by RGM a couple of years ago and its done no real miles since.

Loose wire?
Dodgy switch?

Thanks in advance.

Any ideas chaps and chapesses

Insert key.
Turn, all the lights work and dash wakes up.
Green Neutral light, pull in the clutch and Press starter button - nothing. Nada. Nix. Zero. No engine turn over at all…

Turn off ignition.
Restart the procedure and hey presto, up she fires nicely.

It is a hesitant / intermittent problem, doesn’t always happen, but enough to worry for a longer / overseas trip…

I had a replacement starter motor fitted by RGM a couple of years ago and its done no real miles since.

Loose wire?
Dodgy switch?

Thanks in advance.

Start with the battery connections

what position is the side stand in ?

mine has this moment when one day if forgets to fire with the side-stand down even with the clutch in but other days it remembers and starts - its odd I live with it (no doubt some odd circumstance / combination where it believes its doing what it should)

if its really going wrong the ignition switch immobiliser antenna ring thingy gives up
and it has a magic electrical system that senses a tiring battery "and can't be bothered to crank" even though they have" twice the grunt it needs to try"

My bike used to do the same on occasion but would always fire second press of the button. At one time following advice on here I reset adaptations with my GS911. Seemed to work but it has happened since. Always have a jumper wire under the seat just in case..........

Haven’t thought about the side stand, will check if that’s the issue.
Also will check battery terminals.
It doesn’t have an alarm, is the immobiliser a ‘failing part’?
Kill switch and starter switch all seem fine, may give a spray with some contact cleaner.

Thanks

What does ‘reset adaptations’ mean please???

It’s a standard GSA, the only after market add on being a Zumo bracket and optimate leads.

Reset Adaptations wipes the alterations to the fuel map that are learnt from the long and short term fuel trims. Nothing to do with the starter motor circuit.
First thing when you switch the ignition on and press the starter button and nothing happens can you hear a faint clicking from under the fuel tank ( the starter relay being activated) ?
Have you tried running a wire from the battery +ve and holding it on the spade terminal on the starter motor when it will no work just to check it is not a problem with the starter.
I have known it for the wire from the starter relay to the starter motor solenoid fail. It has been easiest in that situation to run a new wire along the outside of the loom.
You can use the old screwdriver technique across the battery terminal and the starter solenoid spade terminal on the starter but if you are not sure use a wire from the battery to the solenoid spade terminal.

It was a long shot, but lithium batteries don't work well when cold and need "warming up".
This is normally achieved by cycling the ignition on/off a few times without starting the bike, to draw current from the battery.

Since you said it works the second time you turn the key... I wanted to double check, but again, it was a long shot. :)

Exactly what happens with my bike since I fitted a lithium. Not every time but often enough.

My 07GSA was doing that same thing last year, turned out to be the Gear Position Sensor IIRC....

Often over looked - started relay under the seat. Check the contacts/put your finger on it when you press the start button.

Back
Top Bottom