How to clean gold anodised wheels?

Lord Snooty

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My 1250 gold anodised wheels are looking a bit grubby and dull. I have tried lifting the finish on them this afternoon with various produces and zero success; I've tried WD40, T-cut and metal polish.

So what can you suggest?

My 1250 gold anodised wheels are looking a bit grubby and dull. I have tried lifting the finish on them this afternoon with various produces and zero success; I've tried WD40, T-cut and metal polish.

So what can you suggest?

If you can find your way over to Stoke at the weekend I can have a go with some stuff I have.

Autobrite extreme cleaner hasn’t let me down yet, but I have a few things that might get it.

Picture of wifeys wheels for reference purposes, they aren’t gloss :thumb2

Attachments

• 47B84BCE-E1EC-4CB9-AF60-BA40C0306912.jpg
    47B84BCE-E1EC-4CB9-AF60-BA40C0306912.jpg
    260.2 KB · Views: 1,128
So far...The Gold Anodised rims on my Mash have only had to be dusted and they are spectacularly bright after a good dusting, do you think I should use some Mr Sheen to improve the situation:D:beerjug:

So what can you suggest?

Your local BMW dealer sells a wheel cleaning product specifically for the gold wheels and I can confirm it works brilliantly. Squirt it on, rinse it off, hey presto instant sparkling gold wheels. It is about £15 a bottle but lasts ages.

If you can find your way over to Stoke at the weekend I can have a go with some stuff I have.

Autobrite extreme cleaner hasn’t let me down yet, but I have a few things that might get it.

Picture of wifeys wheels for reference purposes, they aren’t gloss :thumb2

Thanks Phil, I'm a bit tied up this weekend mate, nice offer though mate.

Your local BMW dealer sells a wheel cleaning product specifically for the gold wheels and I can confirm it works brilliantly. Squirt it on, rinse it off, hey presto instant sparkling gold wheels. It is about £15 a bottle but lasts ages.

Hi Wes, thanks mate I'll check this out.

I would thoroughly recommend having the bike ceramic coated by Autobrite Direct. It’s a 3 day job, so it’s done properly and if you call them and quote flipfly, they’ll do it for £300 for a 5 year coating. It’s the dogs bollocks pal and the wheels are an utter dream to clean afterwards.

I had both of our bikes done and still recon it’s the best money I’ve spent on a bike (I thoroughly dislike cleaning cars and bikes).

The whole process is a deep clean, paint correction and ceramic coating, it’s 2 guys on the job and they take huge pride in what they do. The sump guard comes off, numberplate, even the rear wheel mud flappy thing got ceramic coated on the inside to make it easier to clean.

There’s plenty that would consider it to be snake oil or just not worth it, but having had it done…..I’m more than happy that I took the plunge.

My new car will be getting coated when/if it arrives.

I would thoroughly recommend having the bike ceramic coated by Autobrite Direct. It’s a 3 day job, so it’s done properly and if you call them and quote flipfly, they’ll do it for £300 for a 5 year coating. It’s the dogs bollocks pal and the wheels are an utter dream to clean afterwards.

I had both of our bikes done and still recon it’s the best money I’ve spent on a bike (I thoroughly dislike cleaning cars and bikes).

The whole process is a deep clean, paint correction and ceramic coating, it’s 2 guys on the job and they take huge pride in what they do. The sump guard comes off, numberplate, even the rear wheel mud flappy thing got ceramic coated on the inside to make it easier to clean.

There’s plenty that would consider it to be snake oil or just not worth it, but having had it done…..I’m more than happy that I took the plunge.

Well that's gotta be money well spent rather than on pointless bling, PM me your phone number Phil and I'll call you to discuss this.

Try Castrol Greentec diluted 50/50 leave for 5 minutes and works great on any grease or dirt. If you have time use Poorboys Wheel Sealant and you’ll find they stay cleaner.

On the wheels try a fallout alloy wheel cleaner. They are good for cleaning contamination from brake dust etc. Just do not leave it on too long.

Cheers Yofi, so many great options, thanks all.

I have spoken to Phil (Flipfly) and at some point I will go for the ceramic coating option.

Cheers Yofi, so many great options, thanks all.

I have spoken to Phil (Flipfly) and at some point I will go for the ceramic coating option.

:okay

I would definitely give that BMW product a try. Though I haven't tried that particular product in the past I had good experiences with BMW detailing products, and comparisons suggest that they aren't simply rebranding existing products. Also, you'd perhaps have some 'protection' against damaging the wheels with a strongly acid or alkaline product.

i had this done by a pro, not the wipe on consumer stuff, i can confirm that just spray with something like the G3 or autoglym iron remover and rinse and it all comes right off.

and the bug splatter just slides off with foam rinsed at distance with a lance.

really does work. riding to greece from the uk next week so i’ll take some photos before during after and a clean… see what happens.

cheers

Back
Top Bottom