Any MT 10 owners?

longdog

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just wondering if there are any MT 10 owners or former owners on here, if there are, what was your experience of them?

Thanks Skid, brilliant feedback and answered many of my questions. The fuel capacity and range are fairly important to me, could I live with stopping for fuel every 100 miles or so? I’m not sure.

Great bikes.
Did 680 miles in a day on mine .
Very comfy .

cf7dfd164d65c6ed0443248af3970f9d.jpg

Thanks Skid, brilliant feedback and answered many of my questions. The fuel capacity and range are fairly important to me, could I live with stopping for fuel every 100 miles or so? I’m not sure.

100 miles luxury!!!
My Ducati 999 if you were "pressing on" could be starting to run short after 80 odd miles :green gri

Does anybody know what the differences are between a standard model and the touring one?

Was it just the fact they bunged some panniers on?

Or did it have different ergonomics
T

I can only talk of the gen1 rather than the latest updated model. (Owned a 2018 MT10 for a year, so seriously considered the Touring version at the time).

As Arsey says, Touring model came as standard with comfort seat, which did raise the seat height a touch, but was imho much more comfortable.

Hand guards, pannier racks and soft shell panniers and touring screen. Not sure about heated grips? Think they were an optional extra on all models.

From my experience, if you’re considering buying, things to consider are………

Small fuel tank range. You’ll be looking for fuel not long after you’ve covered 100 miles, if you’re taking it steady. They’re low 40’s mpg, less if you’re having fun.

Be prepared to spend some money getting a remap / ecu flash, if having a snatchy throttle bothers you.

Whilst the early ones came with essentially R1 suspension, with loads of adjustability, you may need to spend some time getting it set up to suit. I found mine, even after some professional adjustment, was on the firm side.

Absolutely fabulous engine & soundtrack though. :thumb2

Thanks for prompt replies!

I have a hankering for a Jap 4 like this..

I’m tall though and seem to remember when I sat on one a few years back it was quite comfortable- I also fancy that cross plane engine….but an R1 is out of the question really..

I’ll find one to sit on, and do some more research!

Cheers

I found mine (I had the comfort seat) comfortable with a decent peg / seat / bars ratio, but I’m only 5’08” with a 31” inseam.
I find my 2001 Fazer 1000 quite tight in this respect now though, as I get older. This is what drew me to the MT10 and more recently to the latest model MT09SP.
If my budget had been big enough back then, I’d have liked to have tried the MT10SP, with the Ohlins suspension, but they were significantly more expensive at the time. New, on release, I believe the early standard MT10 was just above £10k.

This will be used for 1-2 hour blasts over the South Downs

So fuel economy not an issue - I’ve a GSA for longer trips..

So all in here have since sold them?

Reasons why?

I’ll know Arsey’s…. As he has the bike attention span of a Goldfish

Mine………

1. For me, I found the suspension a bit too harsh for my delicate back. Was out for a long ride, the day before my 600 mile service was due, trying to get the mileage up. Hit what I thought wasn’t a significant bump in the road (certainly not relative to the state the roads are in now) and it really hurt my back. Didn’t realise at the time, but actually caused a prolapsed disc and months of recovery. Had the suspension professionally adjusted after that, but still found it on the firmer side. Kept it for a year though.

2. Didn’t want to spend the money getting the on / off throttle response sorted and it irritated me.

3. Ultimately, I found myself either short shifting through the box to keep my speed down, or constantly fretting about losing my licence when enjoying the sound / performance.

4. Maybe not a goldfish for me, more like a John Dory? :D

I still look at them now wistfully, particularly those that have had some of my perceived “issues” sorted, but with the current state of the roads, it’s a definite No from me. Still great vfm though secondhand. Still got my Fazer for speed kicks though.

This will be used for 1-2 hour blasts over the South Downs

So fuel economy not an issue - I’ve a GSA for longer trips..

So all in here have since sold them?

Reasons why?

I’ll know Arsey’s…. As he has the bike attention span of a Goldfish

Cheeky fucker !!!

I did 3300 miles on mine.

f466ce783ac95c2598d78e68e07f640f.jpg

It was very comfy. Did nearly 700 miles in a day on it.

Great motor.Tank range was a bit shite as needed fuel after 130 miles ish.

Back
Top Bottom