"Moving" Ordnance Survey maps

er-minio

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I bought an used handheld gps that came with the Ordnance Survey maps on an micro SD card.
All is well.

The SD card is 4 or 8GB.
I would like to move the map to another SD card with more capacity, so I can add other maps on it as well, and preserve some of the internal memory of the gps.

Can I just "clone" the memory card to a bigger one (16gb)? I mean "clone" in the proper sense, with specific software.

Or will the maps still need activation? Is there a specific procedure to follow?
Thanks.

a couple of things to consider. will the hand held device take a bigger card, and are there any hidden files on the card, if yes to the first and no to the second you should be able to just drag and drop or copy and paste one to the other using a pc and card reader, drag files off card to pc, remove card insert new card and copy from pc to card. this is for os maps only.

Not possible, the OS map will some sort of protection to prevent copying the card data.

if you use something like EaseUS or AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard to clone to a larger card it should do it. try it you wont break it.

As others have mentioned, if it is a Garmin supplied card there is some form of encryption to prevent copying or moving. When I purchased my Montana 600, I tried exactly what you are proposing and screwed up the maps. I had to send the card back to Garmin to get it resolved.

I think you can move it. I certainly did on my old Garmin Montana - doing exactly what you want to do but I don’t recall it as being particularly easy. Indeed you should make a backup regardless and especially if you think you are going to move the maps**. I suppose it depends on if the SD card AND the map are locked to the device or just the map. If the latter you should be fine. But you will need to use something like map install or map manager (both free from Garmin) to move it so the licence bits move with the rest of the files. Have a go and see if it works. Try with the original card in a reader and the target card in your device. I don’t know if it makes a difference but having a map installed on a card in your device has got to help, hasn’t it?? Try it but I don’t think just copy/paste will work and you will need to copy/paste about 4 or 5 files to get everything you need anyway. Pretty sure you lose the licence stuff on pasting. Use map manager or whatever and I think ( from memory) it moves or recreates the licence/unlock stuff.

** Garmin do let you make back up copies (note plural) but I can’t remember how to do this. Pretty sure the backups work just like the original but only on the device they were backed up for, ie you don’t have to restore or whatever if you install them in the original device. This may be the way to achieve what you want anyway.

What device and what software, I use Memory map and Oziexplorer and can just copy and paste maps to any licenced device.

What device and what software, I use Memory map and Oziexplorer and can just copy and paste maps to any licenced device.

Yes no problem using Memory Map, it's the Garmin OS maps that are I believe locked to the serial number in the card and easy to lose it when trying to copy.

Not possible, the OS map will some sort of protection to prevent copying the card data.

It is possible, if you’re prepared to use some software to help with the encryption. It works with the Montana 6xx devices and also the 66 devices, as well as the GPS map, but not on 7xx devices. I’ve used it to fit several different maps - such as City Navigator and GB Discoverer- on to the same card for convenience

It is possible, if you’re prepared to use some software to help with the encryption. It works with the Montana 6xx devices and also the 66 devices, as well as the GPS map, but not on 7xx devices. I’ve used it to fit several different maps - such as City Navigator and GB Discoverer- on to the same card for convenience

Clever stuff :thumb2

I have that on my Montana
Used it today with CN on, in the van
Tomorrow I can use OS maps on the bike by swapping profiles
Clever stuff (a mate set it up for me)
Postcode address search too, on an old Montana

Berin, can you point me in the right direction for instructions online?

Essentially what I'm trying to do it:

– I have a 4GB garmin card with the 1:50k OS maps + I added another OSM map on the card.
– A third OSM map in on the device memory.

Both the device and the SD card now have about 1GB free.
I want to keep that memory free on the 64s, but I'm looking to add a map for full Europe to the SD as well.
I have a spare 8 or 32GB micro-SD card, so I wanted to move the 1:50 OS map and the other OSM onto the bigger card, then add the extra European one.

As others have mentioned, if it is a Garmin supplied card there is some form of encryption to prevent copying or moving. When I purchased my Montana 600, I tried exactly what you are proposing and screwed up the maps. I had to send the card back to Garmin to get it resolved.

I did exactly the same and had the same result, Garmin replaced the card though.

This is what I used to do on the older devices (GPS Map, 6xx) so it's quite possible. Not so easy on Montana 7xx. Like you say, it's for convenience so you don't have to keep swapping cards.

Berin, can you point me in the right direction for instructions online?

Essentially what I'm trying to do it:

– I have a 4GB garmin card with the 1:50k OS maps + I added another OSM map on the card.
– A third OSM map in on the device memory.

Both the device and the SD card now have about 1GB free.
I want to keep that memory free on the 64s, but I'm looking to add a map for full Europe to the SD as well.
I have a spare 8 or 32GB micro-SD card, so I wanted to move the 1:50 OS map and the other OSM onto the bigger card, then add the extra European one.

You need to clone the card ( not easy )
Works on 700 series
Then there is pleanty of room then for OSM and all the uk birdseye as well :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom