Proximity Alerts on XT

Garmin has serious problems making their own software to function (or develop at all). They are not even close to be able to consider third parties IMHO. :D

Unfortunately true given the appalling mess you get if you dare go off a planned route. "Must be a settings error" is the short answer for Garmin supports "help".

Continuing on with alerts, there is a section in Garmin support that looks like it could be promising.

Creating Proximity Alerts for Custom POIs in POI Loader

I'm thinking that if the POI CSV file were called SPECS_Announce (or something else meaningful within the permitted names), or the POI name included the same, and no speed information is added, it would alert at 400m distance.

Also see the POILoader help (search for "alerts").

It Works

In BC, zoom into the area where you want the alert.
Select "new waypoint" (arrow with little square) then click where you want the proximity alert.
Repeat for any others you want.

In the left pane, select one of your new waypoints. (double click)

In the sub window, select the Properties tab. In the Proximity field enter a value. 0 = 400 mtrs or the mile equivalent. I use 200. You have to enter the distance as .2 km and then BC will make it 200m - the same procedure if you use miles.

I also changed the Display field to a red square -

In the Notes tab, give it a name.

Close the sub window.

In the left pane, high-light and waypoints you want to process (CTRL + select)

Click - File > Export > Export Selection - save it in a directory with "SPECS" in the name. I used SPECS_POI_Announce and the file name the same as.

Fire up POILoader to send it to the XT. I used the same name for the GPI file as the GPX file.

Fire up the XT > Settings > Driver Assitance > Proximity Alerts > Alerts > Tick Custom POIs

It works. I had it set to 400m at first, but one of the PA's was at the end of a U shaped piece of road and it did the alert at 400m as the crow flies.
It gives 3 bongs in quick succession. Not found a way to change that.
It works without being on a Route. Not tried it while navigating.

Attachments

• alert.JPG
    alert.JPG
    12.9 KB · Views: 111
It gives 3 bongs in quick succession. Not found a way to change that.
It works without being on a Route. Not tried it while navigating.

If anyone is interested, I got the sound alert changed for alerted waypoints.
It works in simulation mode.

I just wanted to be able to quickly drop a waypoint when creating tracks, routes and having it alert me (especially since I use tracks a lot).
Have to come to terms that the XT is a Zumo after all and it lacks a lot of functionalities that the standard Garmin navs have.

The best/easiest way I can think of to do this would be to drop all your waypoints in basecamp then export the GPX file. Use POILoader to generate a .gpi file and have it copy to your XT or manually copy it yourself. If you had a route that had waypoints you didn't want as proximity alerts/POIs, just create a separate list as part of your basecamp folder hierarchy for that ride (so you can see everything at once) then export just the list of waypoints for ingestion to POILoader.

Back
Top Bottom