V85 Gearbox

BADGER999

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
New Guzzi owner so nothing really to compare to. Gearbox is great when warm, but on a cold engine it’s a bastard to shift, especially first to second. Only got 850 miles on it so due in for its first service this week. Anyone else noticed this ? Is it normal ???

New Guzzi owner so nothing really to compare to. Gearbox is great when warm, but on a cold engine it’s a bastard to shift, especially first to second. Only got 850 miles on it so due in for its first service this week. Anyone else noticed this ? Is it normal ???

The whole bike will improve as you rack up the miles. I can't say any of mine where really difficult to shift when cold, but definitely easier as the bike warmed up. I also found that really getting your foot tucked under the peg helped.

The gearbox on mine has always been good in this regard, just need to be very "positive" with it, if you try and do it gingerly it will probably feel stiff. No clunk into first gear from neutral after starting from cold either. As it loosens up it will improve as wrinkleyowlie said.

The gearbox on mine is exactly the same. Warming the engine before you set off helps. If not it eases up in about a quarter of a mile in the cold weather. Not sure if it might have something to do with the oil? I say that because when I topped mine up with Castrol Edge between services it seemed to ease up a lot.

Thanks for that. Guessed it would probably loosen up with more miles on the clock. When warmed up the gearbox is actually a pleasure to use……much nicer than any of the air cooled BMW’s I’ve had. Guzzi dealership have told me they change the gearbox oil at the first service even though it’s not on the service schedule.

Done 1,000 on mine now from new. Can't say I've noticed a problem - in fact I was only thinking yesterday how smooth it is. Mind you most of my previous experience has been with the wonderful 1150 GS (From new) and more recently, my R100 GS pd. What I'm used to.

Mine’s fine other than a real clunk when going up to, or down to third. The rest of the gears engage silently. It’s only done 500 miles up to now so hoping it will improve. Going to mention it at first service.

Back
Top Bottom