Camp beds

Santa-2512

Omnipotent one
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Do any of use a camp bed / cot when your away,

If so, which one , and how small do they pack up ?

I've currently got a fat Airic mat, which is good, but i'd like something off the ground so to speak,

ive looked at ones on the bay, but the dimensions when packed dont seem bike friendly

any suggestions

I have a Helinox one which is very comfy and packs up small enough to get in a pannier. (a big Vern's one)

I have a Vango 4 leg camp bed. It packs up to about 56cm, weighs about 5 kgs and was £45. Solid and easy. Does not come on the bike with me as its overkill. I use if we go camping by car and I am in my mahoosive bike rider tent, not in the smaller 2 man , 1 nighter tent. Its just too heavy and bulky

What put you off if you don't mind me asking only i've just got one for the Mrs.

Helinox, camp beds….

1. They take up space.

2. They add weight.

3. A good quality air mat does less of 1 and less of 2. They are not necessarily cheap but, looked after, they should last for years.

4. They are no easier to get onto or off than 3.

I do have a folding camp bed that is higher and pretty comfortable (I slept on it when I moved to E1 but didn’t have a bed) but I would only take it in the car (see 1 and 2 above). It is something pretty much like this:

https://www.tiso.com/eacei8ti0116/h...m9ri5EXypAtbkI7hltjh8ZGmQu1QR_BgaAg23EALw_wcB

I bought it in France, before they appeared in the UK, probably for EUR 20 at the time or about £15.

I also have an army surplus (circa end of WW2 / Korean War) camp bed, the canvas material of which is still in perfect condition. It has been in the family since at least then.

Back
Top Bottom