Bizarre routing on the XT

er-minio

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
It is possible that this is connected to a recent software update, I don’t know.

I went for a quick ride to get a cup of coffee in the Surrey Hills as an excuse to check the bike (I've ridden almost nothing this year still) and the Zumo... as I'm leaving soon and want to be sure it works, as it has failed miserably before.

I created a simple GPX of the route, just to use it as a test, it can be downloaded here:
I'm using the latest 2022 Maps. Both on the Zumo and my Mac, with Basecamp.
The data has been copied over USB into the internal memory, not the SD.
The XT was, as said above, just hard-reset.

The route starts and ends on the A3, just after crossing the M25.
I navigated to the start of the route from home.
When I was reaching the start of the route, Zumo told me "no traffic allowed" and then told me to turn around and showed the route as a short triagle.
I thought this could have been a calculation error because of the dual carriage and stopped the navigation and restarted it (I was at the beginning of the route and it couldn't find the starting point).

Now, this is the route as I was riding it (since I cannot trust the Zumo, I have the habit of keeping a track for every route, in case the navigation calculations fail, in cyan):

route-ok.jpg

All seems ok.

Now. I stopped a couple of times, to take a picture, and for some coffee later in Shere. Both times I deviated from the route by about 10 meters (side of the road) or 30 meters (Shere car park) and the situation on the sat nav was this:

route-off0.jpg

route-off.jpg

route-off1.jpg

If you start driving, it recalculates after a few hundred meters, and seems to be doing correctly. But until then it gives you wrong directions.
If you are navigating towards the starting point of a route, it can give you wrong directions.
You are never 100% sure if it is drawing random straight lines or if it is following the route normally.

Not sure if this is happening to others.

On a side note.
I'm getting fairly tired of the XT as it has, essentially, failed almost every time I used it as a sat nav (works ok with tracks, but everything works ok with tracks).
Because of Covid and all I've been riding very little, but this thing has spent most of its time progressing through botched firmware updates, map issues and other.
I still have memory of last year in Wales where it essentially fucked up all the routes... thankfully I had my tracks as a backup, and it was a software issue. The hardware is great, no issues with it. But the software side and incompatibilities (Basecamp) and incomplete/feature-insufficient software (Explore) really cripple this thing.
Sometimes I wonder what Consumer Associations will think of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had several problems with the XT in Belgium, running bespoke routes created in MyRoute.

The only reliable method I found was to send the XT a track, then ask the device to create a route from it. This seemed to be 100% reliable.

On the other hand, the BMW Connected app was always reliable, whether running a route or a track.

I had several problems with the XT in Belgium, running bespoke routes created in MyRoute.

On the other hand, the BMW Connected app was always reliable, whether running a route or a track.

Make of that what you will …

Make of that what you will …

The BMW Connected app runs on a phone. Drop the phone, smashing the screen, and you’ve lost more than your gps device.

The BMW Connected cradle will not charge an iPhone 13 but it will charge earlier wireless charging iPhones.

I am sure there’s more.

The BMW Connected app runs on a phone. Drop the phone, smashing the screen, and you’ve lost more than your gps device.

The BMW Connected cradle will not charge an iPhone 13 but it will charge earlier wireless charging iPhones.

I am sure there’s more.

Drop the XT, smash the screen and you have lost your GPS too

I am sure there’s more.

Agree, This is one reason I wont use my phone as a navigator. You'll never beat a stand alone Sat Nav. Especially the XT.

:okay
I also had some weird straight line stuff going on on the Zumo. I downloaded one of the routes from Ride magazine to use as a base for a days ride. I downloaded the route and opened it in Basecamp, and more or less as expected it was just a series of straight lines linking the waypoints. I turned off all the avoidance settings in Basecamp, set the mode to car, and recalculated, and it worked fine. I then modified the route to suit me and then sent it to the XT, where it was again a load of straight lines. I recalculated the route in the XT (again all avoidances off) and it was fine. I also changed most of the waypoints to shaping points, and the shaping point bug, where it moved the shaping point, seems to be fixed. The route then worked and as it had plenty of shaping points even coped with some diversions.

I do find it works better, when setting off, to choose “nearest entry point” even if you think you are right on the starting waypoint.

I haven’t updated the unit yet (I always leave the Wi-Fi setting off so it doesn’t sneakily update just as I’m going to use it).

Is the new FW ok now?

Yep I meant the 7xx.
I consider you "the source of truth" for that ;)

I'm going to ask on the Zumo forum why the Zumo does those miscalculations and straight lines while routing.
All the shaping points were placed correctly on the road. Same maps.
The only "weird" thing in that route is one Waypoint to be "announced". Nothing else.

I do find it works better, when setting off, to choose “nearest entry point” even if you think you are right on the starting waypoint.

True, I noticed it as well.

What is the "shaping point bug"? I might have missed it.

I'm a bit less angry :) now – so I want to try and fix the problem with the XT.
As said above, I'm very happy with it hardware-wise and when it works correctly.

The shaping point bug is that if you changed a waypoint to a shaping point on the XT, for instance to remove a flag, or not have it notify, or something, the XT would move the point somewhere else. Not far, but enough to bugger everything up!

True, I noticed it as well.

What is the "shaping point bug"? I might have missed it.

I'm a bit less angry :) now – so I want to try and fix the problem with the XT.
As said above, I'm very happy with it hardware-wise and when it works correctly.

Ah good to know, thanks!

I'm getting some info about this on the Zumo user forum. Will report here as well when it's clear(er).

I have an XT, and so does Mrs Berin, all with exactly the same maps and firmware, and yet, Mrs Berin's also did some weird routing that I seemed to fix by re-installing the maps on to hers. What was also weird was there were slight differences in the routes - they were about 2 miles different to mine, yet seemed to follow the same route as mine whilst we were riding.

Ah good to know, thanks!

I'm getting some info about this on the Zumo user forum. Will report here as well when it's clear(er).

Back
Top Bottom