Somewhere Interesting to the East Netherlands...?

Roberto

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Evening folks.

So.. Holland, Netherlands.. specifically the Eastern part of, over towards them there Germans. Does a town exist that folks can recommend for an overnight?

I'm heading off to the Ferry at Travemunde next month, with nights planned in Antwerp, Belgium and Lubeck, Germany. Between those two points, looking for a recommendation for a town to stay in to the East of Holland.
By the way - have stayed in Groningen, enjoyed that, but always nice to find new places and all that.

Thanks
R :thumb

Try Enschede.

It's famous for the Grolsch brewery if nothing else :)

They also make all the films for Polaroid in Enschede, and if you like football F C Twente is where Steve McLaren went after he left the England job.

It's a typical Dutch town with a very long history of textile production and there's a very smart museum there.

It's less than 3km from the German border so it's a very culturally mixed place.

I ran the half marahon there a couple of weeks back so I'm speaking from recent personal experience, but no info on hotels because I always stay with a freind.

Enschede = “En-shku-day”
Breda is nice too, there’s an awesome Argentinian steak restaurant in the old town. I realise that’s not particularly east though.

If you are heading for Lubeck then why not stay in Germany and try Osnabruck. It has a vibrant centre with plenty of food options.

Breda = “Bren-da”

There are apparently several Argentinian style restaurants in Breda. Can you narrow it down, please?

PM GrantMac, who may well have some good ideas, not least as he lives and works in Holland.

Breda = “Brey-da”

There are apparently several Argentinian style restaurants in Breda. Can you narrow it down, please?
Fixed it for you. It’s called Grouchos and it’s in the Grote Markt.

I used to live and work in Assen which is a decent town with obvious attractions for bikers. Hotel De Jonge in the centre is acceptable for a night or two.

Obliged.

I went to school with a boy named De Jonge. Christopher, I think. Small world.

Thanks Wapping! Yup, depends what you are looking for. Quiet overnight stay or somewhere a bit more lively. I find a lot of the border towns in the east a bit boring. Enchede, Nijmegen, Hengelo etc.
Breda is indeed a great spot especially if you go out around the ''Grote Markt''. Plenty of good bars and restaurants although that's quite a way south already.
If you want something a bit quieter then try one of the villages along the river Meuse south of the Rhine and the Waal.
If in the area I would always head just over the border into Germany - why - prices are so much lower and the hotels and food so much better - especially if you like traditional German fare.
If you send me more details on exactly which area you are targeting then I can narrow it all down a bit

Since you asked.

Bourtange.
On the Border between Netherlands and Germany.
Take motorway towards North west Germany and at the T junction just inside Germany take the Autobahn 31 south for, as I recall 1 exit. Leave and head west back into Netherlands about 1km and you are there.
This is the lovliest, beautiful village I have ever visted or stayed the night in.
Build by William of Orange (Yes, that one) to stop a mad German Bishop invading Netherlands, it is the most beautiful defensive fort you will ever visit.
Not to be missed.
Motorcycle friendly.
If you go, keep us posted.

Attachments

• Bourtange001.jpg
    Bourtange001.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 191
Thanks for the comments so far, some really helpful stuff and everything appreciated.

The reason for Holland was really the folks I'm travelling with - I wanted to do a night in Belgium, one in Holland and one in Germany just so they can get a little of everything before we bound onward to Latvia and the Baltics. This kind of trip is not something they're used to so was looking for it to be as interesting as possible. We'll have a lively night in Antwerp (also a new place to me) and most likely a in Lubeck (a city I've been wanting to visit for some time) and where we have a long leisurely morning en route to an evening ferry. So I wanted it to be to the East of Holland to make it a lesiurely trundle.
Thanks for the tips and see what might be said about unremarkable border towns - I'd searched some other threads and the general feedback was dull and not very enthusiastic. All above said Bourtange though looks really interesting so that might be the one and a contrast to bigger places.

Probably should fess up, it'll be done in a rather nice 1968 Triumph 2000, rather than on two wheels, so I'm on the bikermate naughty step...

We used to go to the Dutch TT in my Triumph Vitesse. Celebrate your differences.

Maybe I can give you some insider tips what to see and do as I live in this area called Twente and work as well at the TT circuit in Assen in the weekends ...
All depends of course about interests. This area is relatively out-of-scoop of foreign tourists and thus very quite.

If you're interested in stunning roads and history, you should plan a tour along the many castles in this area, like
Twickel in Delden, Singgraven in Denekamp, Eerde in Ommen or Warmelo in Diepenheim (where the dutch royals had there outdoor castle).
Don't forget to drive the scenic tourist route over the Holterberg and Kuiperberg with great views.

If you are interested in nice historic towns put Delden, Ootmarsum, Hellendoorn or Oldenzaal on your list.

Rather interested in road racing then you should not miss the Varsselring in Hengelo (Gld.) not to be mixed with Hengelo (Ov.) which is a big city
or the Luttenbergring in Heeten.

In this area you have as well a lot of public sand roads that are suitable for greenlaning with offroad suitable bikes. In our neighbourhhood
we organise a lot of auto rodeo, tractor pulling and enduro challenges, which is typical for the eastern part of the country.

Enschede is already listed with the Grolsch brewery, but the Whiskey factory Sculte in Ootmarsum might be interesting as well.
Famous dutch cheese can be found at the Kaamps farm in Beuningen (Ov.). In Almelo there is the biscuit museum of Bolletje to visit.
Grote Markt in Enschede is the area with bars and restaurants for locals and students from the Campus University Twente.

In Raalte you have the American Motorcycle Museum for petrol heads.

Accomodation can be found easily from hotels, B&B towards campings. If you need any help just send me a PM.
Enjoy your trip !

Well, coming back on this one for, we eventually stopped in Ootsmarsum.

Bourtange looked good, but we couldn't find anywhere to stay nearby, so thanking tomb1051 for the tip of Ootsmarsum. A very pleasant stay and a charming town, sat in a small square, relaxed and enjoyed.
A nice place and set us very well for our trip.

Recommended! :cool:

And the hotel….. bods like to know the hotel and that it’s biker friendly and secure and has frites and ketchup.

And the hotel….. bods like to know the hotel and that it’s biker friendly and secure and has frites and ketchup.

Erm well, ya see, the Hotel was OK enough - we stayed at the Stadshotel Ootmarsum - It wasn't a bad place but the rooms were a touch odd. I had Harry Potter's Eurocupboard under the stairs and my pal had a room where you entered by the bathroom, where you could greet guests direct from the porcelain throne, no less, should that be your bag.

I'm sure there would have been better rooms there if you cared to raise it. We didn't.. distracted by the hot afternoon sunshine and temptation of a couple of beers..

https://www.stadshotelootmarsum.nl/en/

Back
Top Bottom