Advice re buying this kind of E Bike - Raleigh Evo

Kenny

Trustworthy Scouser AND
Mod Squad
Reaction score
Toxteth scouser, made good ..now hiding on the W
Sick to death of wasting money on old airheads etc :D

Have a nice BMW 650 sidecar and a Kawasaki Z900RS Cafe currently on the road.

Thought something like this ( nice that it folds and can go in the back of my Jimny ) for local shopping runs etc

Any good? Anyone own one? I'm brand spanking new to owning an E-Bike and am considering
a small run around. Advice would be appreciated....before I hit the buy it now button !!

https://www.halfords.com/bikes/elec...-electric-folding-bike-20in-wheel-858578.html

Attachments

• Raleigh Evo.jpg
    Raleigh Evo.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 405
Get yourself on the waiting list for a Brompton e bike! :thumb2

I would get a hybrid with bigger wheels, more versatile and you can use it at bike parks
Once hooked you will be reeled in

20KG is heavy, once you are out of power it does get heavy.
30 mile range is quoted, so you can half that if you are lazy.
If you have any hills, then you can half that if you are not lazy.

Use the gears as much as you can to improve the range in conjunction with the power settings.

No one seems to tell you how to ride these bikes to get the maximum out of them, it is as though you just get on it and ride...I suppose this is fine if you are mostly using them on the flat or for a short commute, but in a mountainous region you really have to know how to ride them to get the best out of them.

I have been using my e bike for over 6 months now and for the last three have depended on it for essential supplies, so have had to really work at it to get it right and not end up being stranded with 16K of metal to push up a mountain or two!

Hi Kenny , E bikes can be really liberating. My missus bought one in March of last year and she has now done 1300 miles. On her old conventional bike we would do 100/150 miles per year max.

Just watch the weight, I know its “ only” 20kgs, but unlike a bag of sand bikes are gangly to lift in and out of the boot. Try it in store , when folded can you lift onto a counter etc.

I think the references to disk brakes are for stopping said 20 kg bike complete with rider. I have rim brakes on two of my bikes and they a do a great job. Plus I know riders 3/4 stone heavier than me riding rim brakes.

Ask for a demo , see if its for you, and if yes enjoy.

Ps dont bother with the £160 service plan. All push bikes have a free 6 to 26 week first service, and punctures are a fact of life ( I had two yesterday! )

Interested in this thread…looking for an ebike with good range too

The battery is quite small at 250wH.

I'd be looking for something with 500wh or more.

The battery is quite small at 250wH.

I'd be looking for something with 500wh or more.

Why stop at 500w? :aidan

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ewv-GmB_3jQ" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Like most things in life you get what you pay for.
As Att said, halve the quoted range, 20kg is heavy to lift in and out of a car and heavy to pedal with those small wheels when the battery goes flat.
My other half looked at a cheap one then spend £2300 for a Kalkoff which she doesnt regret: much easier to ride, disc brakes, good sized battery with a genuine 70 mile range, and better quality components than the cheaper bikes. If you just want a shopper for small distances then what you are looking at will do, but, you will get hooked and wished you bought a better bike. If you really want a folder, then Brompton is probably the way to go albeit a bit more expensive.

Thinking about getting an e-bike myself, and would only get one with disc brakes.

My road bike with good quality, properly set up rim brakes stops way faster than my CX bike with so-so quality discs. So make sure the brakes are decent quality whether disc or rim because either can be poor.

I have a Cube 500 hybrid and have done over 4500 miles. It is great but too big to get in my car although I have done so by removing the wheels and seat post. I also looked for a foldable electric that I could more easily take away in the car and came to the conclusion that with the limited range, small wheels and weight it would be better to go for a pedal powered foldable - but the jury is still out. If I was taking the bike away in the car I would almost certainly be wanting to do more than 20 miles - and as others have said above, range is an issue with a foldable.

I had a go on a Raleigh Array today, my first ride on a Leccy bike. I didn't like the handlebar set up, but i was taken by the ease of cycling, I only used it on eco, tour and sport, but I was amazed at how easy it was.
I'd like one, not necessarily that particular bike, I think the consensus is to have a crank driven motor, preferably Bosch, and a 500w power pack, trouble is they start to get quite expensive. I only want a hybrid style bike. Maybe a Raleigh Motus but this has a 400w power pack.
How do Haibike stack up, and also Yamaha leccy motors?

I had a go on a Raleigh Array today, my first ride on a Leccy bike. I didn't like the handlebar set up, but i was taken by the ease of cycling, I only used it on eco, tour and sport, but I was amazed at how easy it was.
I'd like one, not necessarily that particular bike, I think the consensus is to have a crank driven motor, preferably Bosch, and a 500w power pack, trouble is they start to get quite expensive. I only want a hybrid style bike. Maybe a Raleigh Motus but this has a 400w power pack.
How do Haibike stack up, and also Yamaha leccy motors?
I’ve got a Giant Explore E+1 hybrid sort of bike. 500w battery and Yamaha motor. Cracking jack of all trades bike. Good range and the motor is great! 3500 miles and touch wood no problems so far. 70 -110 miles range according to conditions, weight, power mode. Reviews do speak highly of Yamaha motors and are quite reasonable to get overhauled or repaired.
The only downside to my bike is the weight - around 25 kilos.

Back
Top Bottom