Cardo Headset

I bought a Cardo Freecom 2X last month.
Used on my latest trip (to speak with the other bike) and it was excellent.

The only problem I have is that it is impossible to make phone calls if the Cardo is connected both to the iPhone and Zumo XT (as GPS channel).
When the XT is running, the phone, music, everything goes through it.

If you try to make a phone call, either from the phone directly or from the dial function on the XT, it hangs up almost immediately. Answering phone calls is very random. Sometimes it hangs up, sometimes it works but then hangs up after a while and it is impossible to take the call again.

While traveling I discovered that the only way to use the phone is to temporarily shut off the XT, so that only the phone is connected to the Cardo.

My friend traveling with me experienced exactly the same issues and he had a Freecom 2X, XT, and Android phone.

The other issue is that the volume levels are always randomised every time you restart the cardo.

I contacted Cardo via their site, but zero response or acknowledgment of them getting the message.

cycaty-wodolot

your problem you experience is your Edge connecting to your phone as a priority - this stops interactivity with the TFT for music etc.

I was faffing about for ages but then found a workaround solution that was OK for me.

1. i now only use the phone to Edge link to log onto the edge setting (change from DMC to Bluetooth or to change volume or sensitivity settings)
2. Linked phone to TFT
3. Linked Edge to TFT as Rider
(4. Optional - linked wifes headset to TFT as Passenger - only did this so she can listen to music from my phone also)
5. Linked Cardo Edge to Bike TFT via GPS channel (I dont use voice prompts on Nav V so wanted this connection so I know its not connected to phone when bike running because it tells me "GPS Connected"

So what I tend to do now when starting out is Turn on bike ignition and start bike - then start the Cardo Edge and it will say the following:
"mobile phone connected"
then
"GPS Connected"

Providing I dont use my phone to access the Edge during time the bike is on then the GPS channel keeps the link via the Bike TFT with the phone and I have full use of the TFT for Start / stop of track or skip to next track. The connection connects back to the phone if I stop providing I dont connect to the Edge with my phone while the bike is running - if I do connect to the edge when bike is running it overrides the "GPS" connection and takes music direct from phone and then I loose use of the bike controls for tracks.

Also I am sure you know but every time you start the bike again you have to set up the "shortcut" menu every time for controls - for example you have to keep pressing the menu button 3 or 4 times to get to the track stop / start option. To set up menu shortcut just go to the start / stop menu by dropping down the 3 stages of the menu above but then press the "up" side of the menu switch and hold it for a couple of seconds - this then returns you to the "speedo screen" then you have a shortcut recorded - al you need to do then is press the menu "down" side of the button for a few seconds and it takes you straight to the start / stop track screen and so on (sorry if you already knew this but i was talking with other users yesterday that were not aware.)

Rik

I have Packtalk Bold paired to TFT and Nav6 on GPS channel on Packtalk but muted on Nav6. My Sony phone is paired to the TFT and Nav 6, and my Packtalk is connected to a pillion headset. Everything works flawlessly except I cannot listen to music if I am paired to my pillion. Riding solo it is fine.

One issue to check is in the bluetooth setting on your phone, make sure there are no conflicts in what you are asking each channel to do. MY phone to TFT does media, contacts and phone calls. The link to the Nav these are all turned off. On the Nav only Smartphone link is ticked in the settings.

Thank you: re-sent my message to that address and I got a case number.
Awaiting some news from their side now.
Once you have a case number it should be sorted. Try and be patient......there can be days in between replies to your messages.

S20 5G sent this......

Got a response from Cardo, posting here as it might be useful to others:

My questions:

1. Every time the Cardo is switched on, the volume levels are always randomised. This sometimes makes for a painful, ear-piercing, intro jingle, or makes music almost inaudible compared to, say, the intercom levels.
This bug means that I have to check the app to re-set the volume levels every time I turn on the unit: pretty inconvenient.

I've taken three sample screenshot of volume levels when the Cardo is switched on:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/h2zqa1wufxa5apz/IMG_2834.PNG?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rvddm8z95qrmg0i/IMG_2897.PNG?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fg39bdy5io8uwtu/IMG_3014.PNG?dl=0

and

2. When traveling long distance I do use a Garmin Zumo XT Navigator.
I have the cardo linked to my iPhone on the first (mobile phone) channel and linked to the XT (as sat nav) on the second channel.
It is set-up so that I can control everything from the Zumo, but while the music works, it is impossible to make phone calls. Every time one tries to make a phone call, either directly from the Zumo "dial" function, or from the phone itself (while connected) the call gets interrupted after a second or so.
Receiving calls is very unpredictable. Answering the call from the Zumo screens sometimes works ok, sometimes the call gets interrupted after a minute or so.
The only way I managed to make calls with the phone connected to the Cardo was to switch off the Zumo (so the connection was only between the phone and Cardo). It is possible to make and receive calls in that case, but you would still run into unexpected hang-ups.
So far, using the Cardo to make phone calls while connected to the sat nav is nearly impossible.

I'm running the latest version of the mobile app and the Cardo firmware is version 2.0.

I'm using it with an iPhone 13 (running iOS 15.5 19F77 and also the previous release), but please note that the other rider traveling with me was using Android and encountered the exact same issues.

The Zumo XT runs firmware version 6.50

Of course, while troubleshooting all this I did reset the Cardo a couple of times to no avail.
I'd be happy to help run any further test/checks if necessary.

Would be interesting to understand if these issues could be addressed in the next firmware update?

Thanks in advance,

Their response:

1.When you riding alone - the overall volume level you need to control is PHONE CALL. The music volume level is controlled by music bar. Pay attaion we are talking about when you riding alone.
2.When you are on Intercom - the overall volume level you need to control is INTERCOM.
The music volume level you need to controll is BACKGROUND MUSIC.

2.It is not impossible to recieve/make calls from Zumo or any GPS device. It happens due to the GPS internal configuration and set up.

I assumed it was the XT intereferring with the calls (Cardo and phone alone work ok). I'll investigate.

Back
Top Bottom