WALES- WORTH IT ?

Pablo1

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Considering a trip to Wales as Scotlands been done to death, getting mixed feedback in particular "its over policed mate" , so from those who have experience , how does it stack up against say Scotland for roads and scenery and is the Police prescence a consideration ?

Welcome your feedback:thumb

I noticed the next edition of Adventure Bike Rider features Brecon. May be worth a quick look.

Wales is very good indeed for motorcycling. Some amazing scenery and mainly great quality of tarmac. I was there a couple of weekends ago and had a blast. I am going again this weekend.

Can't say I noticed it being over policed at all.

Personally, I would put Wales on a par with Scotland for biking.

IME, keep off the main roads and no police at all.

Fantastic place to ride.

North Wales tends to be done to death , but mid Wales is where the roads excel. Avoid the coast except possibly Anglesey as others are just commercial ventures.

Shropshire across is lovely, as stated above Brecon the Long Myndd lovely routes.

Police wise , yes there are plenty of fixed scamera vans, but when we did the NC500 we saw a fair number of them there including on the national speed limit roads.

Lucky to live 7 miles From Llangollen so I am biased to NWales
Lovely roads and scenery, can be much like Scotland only on a smaller scale
Less midges
I know where the tea stops are

If you pick the right routes, on the right day, they are glorious otherwise you will hone your overtaking and filtering skills on the main A road against holiday / sunny day traffic and a flock of twats on sportsbikes....seems to attract the knobs
Lots of very good cut through roads and many single track ones

The link Wapping kindly provided shows a map covering a lot of North Wales routes. If you can that into a map program and take a look on G Earth to see what they are like. You can mix and match a lot of them

Few Police around. I know everyone thinks N Wales is swarming but it it ain't, same with the camera vans. But some of the camera operators now have a plain estate car and do hand held checks in villages, very hard to spot sometimes
Obviously Bank Holidays, very good weather there may be few extra ones out on overtime to do the bike operation whatever they call it this year, but if you pick your roads it should be fine.

I'm lucky, I can go out midweek, tend to avoid weekends. Somedays the only Police you will see all day are in the towns

If you factor in Mid Wales as well then you will never run out of excellent routes
One of my favourites is the B4374 from Aberystwyth to Rhayader which becomes National cycle route 81 You can turn off this 3/4 way along towards from Aber and follow the reservoirs to the Elan Valley dam - Not only sheep to contend with but lycra clad hoons
So many choices

My knowledge of S Wales is limited main roads to Cardiff / Swansea etc, which are nice in a car

Lucky to live 7 miles From Llangollen so I am biased to NWales
Lovely roads and scenery, can be much like Scotland only on a smaller scale
Less midges
I know where the tea stops are
Elan Valley dam - Not only sheep to contend with but lycra clad athletes.

Here you fixed it for you :)

Ps Great suggestions HGS

Mid Wales for the dams North Wales for the peaks - what’s not to like. Oh yes there is a great pastie shop in Machynlleth too :thumby:

Why not try a Welsh whisky tour. Here's a short thread which is somewhat lacking in the detail department regarding roads but could add to your trip.
All the distillery's mentioned in the thread cover Wales from north to south and took me along some great roads with great scenery.
Sorry I couldn't be more specific about routes taken, I never was any good at ride reports.:)

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/491859-Welsh-whisky-trip-while-it-s-still-summer

No its shit, police everywhere, to many motorbikes on the roads, sheep on every corner.

Please stay at home and leave Wales to the Welsh.

Was in Brecon 3 weeks ago for a few nights. Out everyday, heading north, nearly up to Snowdonia, Devils staircase etc ... lovely lovely and didn't see a single officer during the entire trip.
Will post it up soon when I get a mo. The locals in Brecon were super as :beerjug:was the food and beer.

Personal story:
My mate always pushed for some short jaunts to Wales.
I refused to go ride in Wales for years. "If I have to spend 3/4 days I'd rather go to France".
Then, towards the end of lockdown we eventually went to Wales as traveling abroad was a faff.
I felt like a complete moron for not riding around there before.

Definitely worth it.

No its shit, police everywhere, to many motorbikes on the roads, sheep on every corner.

Please stay at home and leave Wales to the Welsh.

And its full of the Welsh with their funny language and close harmony singing, dreadful place you wouldn't catch me there

The Welsh National Rally is a great introduction to what Wales has to offer and I have discovered a lot of the country through this event.

It is full of Welshists though...

To avoid excessive attention from the police, stop at the first town you hit in Wales and decorate your bike with a Welsh flag and enjoy :beerjug:

It lovely here. :thumb

Simply stunning

I’m very lucky to live right on the edge of NW .. some amazing roads and if you keep to the roads less traveled you won’t see anyone never mind the police .

Back
Top Bottom