K1600 GT 2011 Adaptive headlight help!!!

uncle balders

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Have found out that my adaptive headlight led unit has blown and the replacement is around £1200!!
Anyone got any ideas or tips about getting this sorted for reasonable money? Have contacted a few bike breakers without success….TIA

Huge thanks squibb34! I can’t work out if i need a complete new headlight unit as BMW are telling me or ‘just’ a replacement main beam adaptive headlight bulb?? They told me that it’s rare for the led to fail but said I’d need to order the entire unit! Apologies for being thick!

Huge thanks squibb34! I can’t work out if i need a complete new headlight unit as BMW are telling me or ‘just’ a replacement main beam adaptive headlight bulb?? They told me that it’s rare for the led to fail but said I’d need to order the entire unit! Apologies for being thick!

Here is a video showing how the adaptive light looks/works ............ https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xrmblw

So, is it the adaptive smoke & mirrors HID that has failed, or the bulbs within the angel eyes?

It’s the adaptive headlight that’s failed. The two angel eye lights work fine on dipped and full beam.

It’s the adaptive headlight that’s failed. The two angel eye lights work fine on dipped and full beam.

Well, an Osram HID bulb will cost around £70. It's fiddly to fit, but perfectly possible DIY - just explore that k1600forum link above.

Some say the light may need recalibration once the new bulb has been fitted, but others found everything worked perfectly afterwards.

I haven't managed to price the ballast - did the dealer define the problem in any way, shape or form, or just go for broke with a whole new unit?

Picture here.

A still picture of something not working is not a lot of help, I'm afraid.

Is it:

A. The bulb that has gone?

B. The unit is no longer active ie. it no longer moves?

C. A plus B?

D. Something else?

In short, how did you explain the problem to the dealer and what did your dealer say by way of reply, precisely?

Thanks again for your help! Dealer didn’t define the problem just priced up the full unit….

As expected, cheeky beggars.

If you have the skills, then £70 & a couple of hours seems like a good investment to me, if it proves to be the HID bulb - your decision obvs.

Told the dealer that the bulb had blown and the yellow dash warning light was on. Not sure how to test the adaptive light still moves? In fact the dealer said that it was a LED unit and as such it meant the whole unit needs replacement

From memory only, when you start the bike, the the adaptive headlight should cycle (ie move mechanically) into its correct position.

Sadly, from what you’ve told us, it’s impossible to tell if the dealer is correct. As to whether it’s a stand alone replaceable unit or is somehow integral to the whole headlight might well depend on what has actually happened. The 1600 forum, along with a full proper description, may well be your best source of help.

OK thanks.

We now know that the mechanism of the adaptive part of the headlight works.

All you need to do now is establish what part of the light do not work ie:

A. Is it the bulb / burner / LED (or whatever it’s called).

B. The trigger mechanism that lights item A.

C. Something else in or on the bike that is preventing B from working and therefore affecting A.

Depeneding on the answer, then establishing whether the cure to A, B, C is ‘easy’ (ie cheap and not taking too long) or ‘hard’ (ie expensive and not possible without replacing several parts, right up to the full headlight unit).

As this is a GS centric forum and there’s no other posts on the topic in this section that I can find, the best solution might be to:

1. Ask / search on the 1600 forum. See post #15.

2. Ask the dealership you spoke to to clarify further.

3. Ask a second opinion of another dealership.

4. Start to take the lot apart yourself.

5. Live with the failed adaptive part and the warning light, neither of them being life threatening. This might bring about an MOT failure; I don’t know.

6. Sell the bike to some poor unsuspecting soul, relieving yourself of the problem at a stroke.

PS Did you ever solve your water carrying problem?

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/265641-Carrying-Water/page2

Where are you going with this Wappers?

K1600 Forum experience tells us that the most likely culprit is the HID bulb. Several riders have lost the light at 50-80k miles. The OP has been given the link on how to change the bulb, which includes a walk through from long term K16 forum member Arizona Jim, in post #2.

To repeat for the sake of clarity ............ https://www.k1600forum.com/threads/changing-low-beam-headlight-bulb.153474/

The adaptive mechanism cycles correctly we are told, so the only other possibility is the ballast.

Changing the bulb is straightforward DIY, a £70 HID bulb, a little time & some Loctite.

Simple enough for anyone reasonably proficient with tools.

Now ......... decision time. Gift the dealer £1200+ or get stuck in.

Big thanks to both squibb34 and Wapping. Gotta love this site. I’ll be changing the bulb and see what happens.

Job done! Plucked up the courage do sort and all done for £35 spare bulb and two hours of fiddling around. Old bulb was really knackered and getting it out was a pain as was putting in the new one. Even by my dodgy maths that’s saved me £1365 compared to BMW main dealer quote for a complete unit. More than happy to help anyone with the same problem

Back
Top Bottom