Deviation from downloaded GPX route

ianran

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I am looking to download and use some of the Ride magazine French routes.
I assume that if I start and finish the route all will be good. My question is if I have to, or accidentally deviate from that route, or will it resume navigation to the nearest part of the route or will it try to get me to start again?

I ride the route with the recalculate function switched off. If I travel offf the route I can zoom out and then find my way back to the route.

Thanks for that, Ok, maybe it’s time for me to do a bit more into finding out how this thing works.

It might well depend on a lot of factors.

Your advice to yourself in post #4 is very pertinent.

It might well depend on a lot of factors.

Your advice to yourself in post #4 is very pertinent.

Agreed, I tend to use it for destination reaching rather than long term planning.
Travelling with disability sometimes destroys the best laid plans.

It will always take you to the end destination, no matter where you go.

But, it might not do it down the roads in the RiDE route, you lovingly downloaded and installed. The why's and wherefores of this are many and varied.

The easiest work around (whilst you learn) is definitely to have auto-recalculate turned off. Then use the screen as a conventional map to get yourself back onto the magenta line of the route. All then should be well.

One thing to consider - if you stray from the route and the satnav recalculates it may well deviate from the originally downloaded route, agreed. However if you're exploring a new area and have no particular itinerary other than an overall intention to travel from the start to the finish and explore, does the actual road(s) you take make any difference to the enjoyment of the journey? I'd suggest in most cases probably not

That is true, but…..

It will probably upset his day if the recalculated route takes the unfortunate fellow onto the nearest motorways and directly to the end point, instead of taking him along some great twisty scenic roads, as created by RiDE, by bikers, for bikers.

A lot will depend on:

A. The area / roads the RiDE route runs over. In other words, how many alternative roads might be available for the device to chose from at the moment of a recalculation.

B. The way the RiDE route was created. For example, whether it had any shaping or via / way points within it. Or, whether it downloads as, say, a track which has no intermediate points at all.

C. The preference settings of the fellow’s navigation device, as these may (depending on circumstances at the time of a recalculation) dictate how any recalculation is made.

D. Whether the fellow at some point stops running the route and then restarts it and / or his position relative to the route on restart and / or what option he chooses when he does so.

Assuming the fellow DOES want to follow the RiDE route and not find himself potentially having it entirely recalculated, the simplest method is to turn auto-recalculation off….. and to learn how the device functions. The former is easy and reasonably safe. The latter? Well, time and effort will tell.

That is true, but…..

It will probably upset his day if the recalculated route takes the unfortunate fellow onto the nearest motorways and directly to the end point, instead of taking him along some great twisty scenic roads, as created by RiDE, by bikers, for bikers.

A lot will depend on:

A. The area / roads the RiDE route runs over. In other words, how many alternative roads might be available for the device to chose from at the moment of a recalculation.

B. The way the RiDE route was created. For example, whether it had any shaping or via / way points within it. Or, whether it downloads as, say, a track which has no intermediate points at all.

C. The preference settings of the fellow’s navigation device, as these may (depending on circumstances at the time of a recalculation) dictate how any recalculation is made.

D. Whether the fellow at some point stops running the route and then restarts it and / or his position relative to the route on restart and / or what option he chooses when he does so.

Assuming the fellow DOES want to follow the RiDE route and not find himself potentially having it entirely recalculated, the simplest method is to turn auto-recalculation off….. and to learn how the device functions.

Wise words

OP

One idea.

Save the route as a track.

No matter what happens you’ll always have that as a back-up. I mention this only as you might not be too familiar with the Nav VI’s workings (it differs in some ways) and it’s good to have an emergency plan.

Also (so it’s two ideas) take a paper map with the RiDE route highlighted on it…. Or at least tge directions (even roughly) on a sheet of paper.

You’ll be fine though, no matter what.

It will always take you to the end destination, no matter where you go.

But, it might not do it down the roads in the RiDE route, you lovingly downloaded and installed. The why's and wherefores of this are many and varied.

The easiest work around (whilst you learn) is definitely to have auto-recalculate turned off. Then use the screen as a conventional map to get yourself back onto the magenta line of the route. All then should be well.

Im not 100% with Nav 6 yet, but on my old trusty 660 which I dont imagine is much different I had enough shaping points in plase to ensure recalculation would not completely feck things up, very often abroad I came accross roadworks and road closures, on the 660 there was a detour option, amazingly helpful in these situations.

The Nav VI is very different to the 660, though some aspects remain the same.

The number of shaping / via / waypoints will indeed have an influence on how a route recalculates. Whether or not the route the OP has imported from RiDE has any at all, is another matter entirely.

Back
Top Bottom