Morocco

Richie B

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi , has anyone been to Morocco lately ? I'm planning to visit later in the year just wondering how Covid had changed things since my last visit about 5yrs ago.
I've read through the Gov website .
cheers in advance Rich

Up until 2018 I used to spend 3 weeks in Morocco each year. Every year I went back the changes were very noticeable.

In the North it is becoming more westernised, tourism is increasing.

In the South more roads are being built where there were once pistes.

Currently the land border between Ceuta and Morocco is closed, this means using the Algeciras - Tangier Med crossing, prices for this route are currently double their usual cost.

Not sure how covid has changed things there, when it all kicked off they closed their borders meaning travellers there were trapped, I had one friend who was stuck there for a considerable time with his truck.

They are still currently in a state of emergency and revise this each month.

Just back from a family holiday (without the bike) last month in responce to your questions re COVID - Nope no restrictions once you are out the airport despite lots of signs saying masks required.

Just back from a family holiday (without the bike) last month in responce to your questions re COVID - Nope no restrictions once you are out the airport despite lots of signs saying masks required.

It’s not much of a state of emergency then.

Scandanavian friends of mine just finished a bike trip there and it appeared business as usual.

It’s not much of a state of emergency then.
I thought that too.

Due to be reviewed in just over a week I believe.

In March 2020 Morocco entered into a State of Emergency (SoE) due to the global pandemic. The SoE remains in place and is reviewed regularly. Decisions about extensions to the SoE and current measures in place due to COVID are discussed by the Government on the Thursday before the end of the current SoE.

The SoE is simply the legal protocol the government has set in place to allow it to implement curfews, mask wearing and travel restrictions during the pandemic. These items can all be changed and the SoE remain in place.

The published end date of the SoE does NOT mean the end of restrictions and control measures.

Good news that the world (other than China, but few go there) is open for the double or triple vaccinated.

Good news that the world (other than China, but few go there) is open for the double or triple vaccinated.
Sorry to spoil your excitement here but proof of injection is not a requirement to enter Morocco.

Many other countries are removing ALL requirements, negative tests etc, to enter.

Indeed, the final lifting of many simple to comply with requirements is to be celebrated.

If you are correct that the Moroccan authorities have now dropped their requirement that adult visitors be vaccinated (vaccine passport) and have a negative PCR test prior to entry, that too is excellent news. Clearly the state of emergency (see yesterday) is over or, as above #4, is not being implemented too seriously for tourists.

.... If you are correct that the Moroccan authorities have now dropped their requirement that adult visitors be vaccinated (vaccine passport) and have a negative PCR test prior to entry, that too is excellent news.

They requirement has been dropped for 3 weeks now
On 14 April, the Moroccan Transport Minister announced that those travelling to Morocco by ferry would require either a valid vaccination pass or a PCR test, less than 72 hours old.

Clearly the state of emergency (see yesterday) is over or, as above #4, is not being implemented too seriously for tourists.
The SoE is not over, it is still in place:-
Authorities have extended the existing health state of emergency (SoE) through May 31 to combat COVID-19. The SoE grants the government authority to impose proactive measures, including curfews and travel restrictions.

Once the SoE is over and the land border between Ceuta and Morocco is open I will possibly be returning.

Ireland is now offering fourth vacc for vulnerable people.

There is a moto event taking place in Maroc at present ( sorry the name escapes me). Harry Metcalfe (Harrys Garage)
is taking part.

Scandanavian friends of mine just finished a bike trip there and it appeared business as usual.

This is from the UK foreign office:
"A vaccine pass is required to enter public places including hammams, gyms, cafes, restaurants, hotels, shops and sports halls. A vaccine pass will also be required to access public administration buildings"

Just wondered, is this just not enforced, or do your friends have and don't mind showing the vax passes?

Sorry to spoil your excitement here but proof of injection is not a requirement to enter Morocco.

Many other countries are removing ALL requirements, negative tests etc, to enter.

Foreign office stills says vaccine plus test required to enter, plus tax pass required to leave, but I'd be happy to hear that's not the case

edit:

So doe the visit Morocco page:

"Passengers travelling to Morocco must present a vaccination pass and a negative PCR test result less than 48 hours old before boarding the plane"

Edit of the edit:

"Before boarding, passengers must present a valid vaccination pass or a negative PCR test less than 72 hours old" - this is for entry by ferry. So you have to be vaccinated to enter by air, but not by sea. Follow the science!

Foreign office stills says vaccine plus test required to enter, plus tax pass required to leave, but I'd be happy to hear that's not the case....

"Before boarding, passengers must present a valid vaccination pass or a negative PCR test less than 72 hours old" - this is for entry by ferry. So you have to be vaccinated to enter by air, but not by sea. Follow the science!

On 14 April, the Moroccan Transport Minister announced that those travelling to Morocco by ferry would require either a valid vaccination pass or a PCR test, less than 72 hours old.

There is no science :thumb

Vaccination, free from the NHS.

PCR test, pay through the nose for it to a private (UK government sanctioned) test centre.

It’s a bit of a no brainer in my world.

But hey, it would be a dull world if we were all the same.

Enjoy the jaunts, no matter where or how you go.

This is from the UK foreign office:
"A vaccine pass is required to enter public places including hammams, gyms, cafes, restaurants, hotels, shops and sports halls. A vaccine pass will also be required to access public administration buildings"

Just wondered, is this just not enforced, or do your friends have and don't mind showing the vax passes?

From experiance, you need it to get through the airport and there was a massive but efficient Q for the paper forms.

Once out of the airport despite lots of signs there was not a single mask or request for vacination certificate despite lots of signs stating otherwise - even the airport taxi did not wear a mask!

So lots of help there, how about crossing points , any advice on which is the best ? when I went a few years ago I crossed from Tarifa to Tangiers which was fine . just wondering if the other 2 options work as the ferry tickets appear to be cheaper . cheers R

So lots of help there, how about crossing points , any advice on which is the best ? when I went a few years ago I crossed from Tarifa to Tangiers which was fine . just wondering if the other 2 options work as the ferry tickets appear to be cheaper . cheers R
The Algeciras to Ceuta tickets are cheaper because the land border between Ceuta and Morocco is currently closed

Back
Top Bottom