Keys and fobs

BigKev67

Reaction score
I have been looking for my spare keys and fobs and am now wondering if I didnt get spares ?
Could others comment on what they got perhaps

May 21 GSA, I have:
One battery key and one grey plastic key
One stealth 5 tracker fob

That's it, you got everything a new bike is supplied with

Sent from my SM-A226B using Tapatalk

I have been looking for my spare keys and fobs and am now wondering if I didnt get spares ?

May 21 GSA, I have:

You may want to prepare yourself for the lack of a spanner set under the seat too!

I got one battery key, one plastic key and two tracker fobs. 2021 1250GS TE

Same here.
Bought a spare plastic key (dealer) and spare key for panniers(key2code) - about £40 in total.

May 21 GSA, I have:

The first thing I did was get a couple of blank keys cut for the luggage and sat nav bracket , bad enough if you are away and lose the one proper key , wouldn't trust the plastic one for opening luggage etc .

F*gging ridiculous that you pay over £17,000 for a bike and get one proper key and a poxy piece of plastic

I just negotiated the spare remote key in the deal when I purchased my new 21 GSA.

Over the years I've owned more cars and bikes than I care to remember. Most of them was delivered with double set of keys and later FOBs.
I EVERY case, the spare key/FOB has been stored in a dedicated drawer. And in all cases, when selling the bike/car, the spare key has been retreived from the drawer in an unused condition.

I'm quite happy with only one key/FOB.

For the bikes with FOB I do however have a dummy spare made up, and it's used for the luggage/seat/GPS. Thus, the FOB never leaves the pocket.

Is that right then, no tools whatsoever with a new bike ?

Not quite like the old days with a lovely wallet and a set of spanners, pliers etc to get you out of trouble or service your bike..

Sure there's a screwdriver gadget to get your oil filler cap off, a little spanner and a torx I recall. I think there should be the wherewithal to get the wheels off as a minimum too.

Not quite like the old days with a lovely wallet and a set of spanners, pliers etc to get you out of trouble or service your bike..

Sure there's a screwdriver gadget to get your oil filler cap off, a little spanner and a torx I recall. I think there should be the wherewithal to get the wheels off as a minimum too.

Drifting off topic here, but here goes:

There is this saying "There is a time for everything", and as much as the current tools certainly would not be acceptable 40 years ago, providing the old style toolkit with the new bikes would not be of much use.

Back then, bikes where ridden mainly by 'old school' enthusiast that liked to work on their bikes and considered this as part of the hobby (and necessary in many cases).
I remeber a bike review of the BMW 90/6, where the reviwer commented : 'It's a paradox that the best tools are found in the bike that least needs them'.

Anyway. Time has passed, and the rider group has grown immensely. Now a days, most riders wouldn't know what to do with the tools anyway. And those that do allready have them. In stead of road repairs, we may pick up the phone and call for the road rescue service.

All in all, I think the selection of tools (or lack of such) in newr bikes reflects on the majority of current BMW customers...:aidan

Drifting off topic here, but here goes:

There is this saying "There is a time for everything", and as much as the current tools certainly would not be acceptable 40 years ago, providing the old style toolkit with the new bikes would not be of much use.

Back then, bikes where ridden mainly by 'old school' enthusiast that liked to work on their bikes and considered this as part of the hobby (and necessary in many cases).
I remeber a bike review of the BMW 90/6, where the reviwer commented : 'It's a paradox that the best tools are found in the bike that least needs them'.

Anyway. Time has passed, and the rider group has grown immensely. Now a days, most riders wouldn't know what to do with the tools anyway. And those that do allready have them. In stead of road repairs, we may pick up the phone and call for the road rescue service.

All in all, I think the selection of tools (or lack of such) in newr bikes reflects on the majority of current BMW customers...:aidan
Exactly this.
The much lamented loss of pliers should be viewed with the similar loss of ignition points, split link chains and weedy filament head light lamps. Are Canbus compatible pliers available? If so where exactly does one grip a defective Canbus?
Alan R

I must be the lucky one as I have two remotes and the plastic key for my 18 plate Gsa

The first thing I did was get a couple of blank keys cut for the luggage and sat nav bracket , bad enough if you are away and lose the one proper key , wouldn't trust the plastic one for opening luggage etc .

F*gging ridiculous that you pay over £17,000 for a bike and get one proper key and a poxy piece of plastic

Over the years I've owned more cars and bikes than I care to remember. Most of them was delivered with double set of keys and later FOBs.
I EVERY case, the spare key/FOB has been stored in a dedicated drawer. And in all cases, when selling the bike/car, the spare key has been retreived from the drawer in an unused condition.

For the bikes with FOB I do however have a dummy spare made up, and it's used for the luggage/seat/GPS. Thus, the FOB never leaves the pocket.

Having watched someone drop their electronic bike key (along with his house key and one glove) over the side of a very deep gorge, I wouldn’t go anywhere without a proper spare key.

How did he do this? By putting his keys and gloves into his helmet, which he then put down, open end down on the parapet. Having looked at the view, he lifted the helmet, one glove and his keys falling to oblivion.

He did have a spare key…. It was locked inside his metal pannier. His metal pannier no longer locks.

Having watched someone drop their electronic bike key (along with his house key and one glove) over the side of a very deep gorge, I wouldn’t go anywhere without a proper spare key.

How did he do this? By putting his keys and gloves into his helmet, which he then put down, open end down on the parapet. Having looked at the view, he lifted the helmet, one glove and his keys falling to oblivion.

He did have a spare key…. It was locked inside his metal pannier. His metal pannier no longer locks.

Keyless means I only take my key out to open the panniers, and when I do it goes straight back in my insid3 jacket pocket :thumb

Funny story.

That happened to a mate when we were a weekend away.

He dropped his keys whilst in one of those touristy caves.

So he phones his wife (about 80 miles away) to bring him the spare key. She was having a girls night in and was not pleased.

He arranged to meet her at the side of the road.

The car comes along and the keys come flying out the passenger window and the car carries on. :driving

Anyway what I would really like is an electronic fob that's a lot smaller than the standard BMW one. It's got functions on it that aren't any use for my bike so surely its not beyond them to slim it down a bit.

I've got all my keys together car, bike, disc lock, shed and gates so anything to lighten the load would help.

Where do you get the spare made up? I assume that is the dealer as my local hardware shop cannot get blanks of the right size.

Where do you get the spare made up? I assume that is the dealer as my local hardware shop cannot get blanks of the right size.

I ordered it from my dealer. Based on the bikes VIN, it came ready with the proper pattern, ready to be used.

If you have a locksmith in the vicinity that is able to copy this kind of keys, blanks may be ordered from eBay.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/143790132802?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item217a8f4e42:g:7gIAAOSwioFfDWz~&amdata=enc%3AAQAGAAAA8Ir4pPafoP1XnNnj18a7mvmyonncPtih2c0fJv6hgQ%2BV0vhv0Fm7wkoXEmQrCclqkJHV8AfH8YF57TnYxK7DV2cLm%2F0Jrb5UBBUNUGs5ssNNr%2FdgxzkMTcASyDM4pOWW90ilkNiUsMVLhI6MGi4L2Uxcjbw6cIugs6GzfILSNVXkPH9jn%2BfjlTnd%2FndCUGLUn7SSWUE%2FLIqGGjxYVflc53%2BxHrZAsLqORGEB2EEyqbcPbUtK1%2BmBzCnLQKmgFnXj13TOxL78oyQUigOXesrNTf93%2B0Ei5iNmgIW0m90q7gMKugzAWR9Sjz5rQV2489v9Vw%3D%3D%7Ctkp%3ABFBMsOmeqpVg.

However, I think I paid less than €20 for a ready cut key from BMW, and it took a couple of weeks from order to delivery.

BMW partnumber: 51257688674

I found it here: item #6, 'Key without transponder by code'

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=0J51-EUR-03-2019-K51-BMW-R_1250_GS_Adv_0J51,_0J53_&diagId=51_0950

Back
Top Bottom