Would you swap a GS for.....

GB.

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
......a R9t urban? I have a 2015 GS, fully spec"d, LED, keyless, quick shifter etc but have this hankering for a Urban, would I regret it?

......a R9t urban? I have a 2015 GS, fully spec"d, LED, keyless, quick shifter etc but have this hankering for a Urban, would I regret it?

Definitely!, I swapped a 2016 GSA for a R9 Roadster and never regretted it, the GSA was as dull as ditchwater, the R9 was one of those bikes that you ride around on with a big grin on your face!
Craig

Do you like muddy bike clothes?

Totally, I rally my GS now but wanting something lighter but still with a reasonably powerful boxer motor.
fb3fa3f828f6cd372932e4e92165daed.jpg

I went TC GS to an Urban. The urban is a fantastic bike decried by those with girly nads. That said, I have an AT DCT as well for those longer jollies when I'm out out

If I were to sell one (which I'm considering) the R9T would stay. Grin factor

Had an R9T on demo for the day when my GS was in the garage (Bowkers). I did like it, but I could not find a reason to own one! It would not suit me (it may suit you!) for touring or long rides, it didn't cosset me like the GS.
The R9T (IMO) would be a lovely Sunday morning bike for a 100 mile blast round the lakes and dales. However, tomorrow I have a 300 mile ride planned, with panniers on (first day of a Spain trip) and I would definitely rather be on the GS!!! I know I can still walk after a long day on the GS

I also own a V85TT however and the extra power of the 9T was lovely! It did make me think a R9T would be an upgrade from the TT, but then again I like the TT for bimbling round the small lanes in the Lakes and Dales...

I guess it depends on the riding you do...

I had an Urban and a GSA LC for a while. The Urban was fun, lots of fun, but the stock plank is uncomfortable after about 18seconds. I fitted the Wunderlich fly screen, and the High Unit Garage braces bars and a Wunderlich comfort seat and then it could do some decent trips in relative comfort.

I swapped out the rear shock and had the forks rebuilt as the suspension was pretty shocking (see what I did there)

Had I not been spoilt by the shaky floaty suspension of the GSA, and cruise control, the Urban GS could do it all. Just needs some tweaking perhaps in the seat, bar, footrest positioning depending on your height, build and expectations.

They are immense fun though.

But if I could only have one bike out of those two, the GS it would be.

Suspension you can change, I have changed mine on the GS but there is something about the urban that attracts me, get a test ride I think.

Suspension you can change, I have changed mine on the GS but there is something about the urban that attracts me, get a test ride I think.

But why should you have to when you’ve spent a five figure sim in the first place ?
Same with Triumph Bonnevilles .

Cos mine was fucked after 40 odd thousand hard miles

. I fitted the Wunderlich fly screen, and the High Unit Garage braces bars and a Wunderlich comfort seat and then it could do some decent trips in relative comfort.

I swapped out the rear shock and had the forks rebuilt as the suspension was pretty shocking (see what I did there)

Out of curiosity. What was the cost of the modifications.

Change the suspension or play around with it...Took me a couple of years to get my suspension right on the scrambler, which is essentially the same bike.

I enjoyed my scrambler, but like every BMW I have had, the seat was shit...

They handle really well, loads of power and low down stomp and they spin up quick, probably one of the best bikes I have had....They look shit though.

Change the suspension or play around with it...Took me a couple of years to get my suspension right on the scrambler, which is essentially the same bike.

I enjoyed my scrambler, but like every BMW I have had, the seat was shit...

They handle really well, loads of power and low down stomp and they spin up quick, probably one of the best bikes I have had....They look shit though.

When have I taken any notice of your opinion ATT, you have no taste

R9T Urban or GS? No contest, the GS every time unless image is important and even if it was, why would you even want an R9T Urban?

Back
Top Bottom