Any Norton Commando Knowledge here? Which models were made in Wolverhampton?

Defiantly not mine as it hasn't been used on the road for the last 12 months.

Just checked in the garage to make sure its still there!

b6475e0e2732d3b0fb18289c8bb5d999.jpg

Not mine either though I’ve been away for 6 weeks so haven’t been anywhere near my workshop to check.

They’re dead easy to get parts for unless you want the unobtanium known as original speedo and tacho but that’s irrelevant if you buy one that’s already on the road.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

They’re dead easy to get parts for unless you want the unobtanium known as original speedo and tacho but that’s irrelevant if you buy one that’s already on the road.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

:thumb2

Would you perchance happen to know if a mk2A Intertsate tank, seat & side panels, would fit straight onto a mk2 Roadster (without any adaptions)?

I have got NOC magazines "Roadholder" dating back to 1974. Free to anyone who would like to collect them. Would have to be collected from the Biggleswade area.
PM me if anyone is interested.
David

Would you perchance happen to know if a mk2A Intertsate tank, seat & side panels, would fit straight onto a mk2 Roadster (without any adaptions)?

The tanks use different fixing kits but that doesn’t mean they aren’t interchangeable if you buy all the parts.

Phone Andover Norton and they’ll tell you.

Yep, just avoid the sit-in years. There are rumours of half built triumph engines sitting unprotected for very long periods. It would perhaps be the same on the norton side too.

My Mate has a 76 Daytona 500. There were 66 of them sat in the production area during the sit in. When production started again they were bolted together using anything laying around and sold cheap through the Midlands Triumph Dealer. He's owned it since 1980, it had 5k on the clock when he bought it.

He also has a mkIIA 850 commando that he's owned since 1982

That looks to be in very good condition. Has it had a recent rebuild or was the previous owner a bit anal about cleaning it?

You know how it is, they always look so much better in a bright sunny day photo. Up close, it's not too bad either. Not showroom mint, but in better nick than I was when I was 48.

The reason it has aged so well is possibly due to it spending its life in the US, and almost certainly in better weather than we endure. It has a lovely genuine patina.

It's been standing a while as I became aware of on its maiden spin out. One of the fuel taps didn't want to play, despite the tank being 3/4 full, and on the ride it was stuttering at times, and stalled a couple as though it was starved of fuel. Removing the tank revealed goo in the lines and also in the float chambers.

And because I haven't rode an old Brit for 30 or so years I've got bugger all tools to use. I've ben spending heavily online today :augie

I'd sorta planned to ride it this summer, and give it some TLC over the winter, but we'll see.

It's all good. I'm at the bottom of the learning curve and have the luxury of another bike to ride, so I can be patient and take my time.

We did a test on one last year

Great vid :thumb

..which has caused me further wallet damage as I 'need' a T160 style kickstarter from RGM :blast

(I actually do. I couldn't get my right foot on the pegs comfortably in standard trim)

Don’t forget that the fuel taps are different each side so either buy both or make sure you know which one you’re replacing.

Don’t forget that the fuel taps are different each side so either buy both or make sure you know which one you’re replacing.

I didn't know they were different, but I've got them flowing freely now :thumb

Back
Top Bottom