Any Norton Commando Knowledge here? Which models were made in Wolverhampton?

Bonzo

Reaction score
I'm on the look out for a Commando 850 that I can enjoy and hopefully pass on to the kids when I pop me clogs - but would prefer one of the Wolverhampton made models (the kids & me were 'made in Wolverhampton').

I read in an old Classic Bike mag that models from September '73 were made in Wolves, but the wording could've been misconstrued.

Anyone here knowledgeable in such matters?

:beerjug:

I thought all Commando engines and frames were manufactured in Wolverhampton? They were assembled at Plumstead at the old Matchless / AMC factory initially and then at Andover after this closed?

Someone who is a greater Norton expert than I will be along shortly no doubt.

Thanks for the comments chaps.

From the wikipedia link: 'Redundancy notices were issued at Andover in late 1973, followed by a sit-in at the works. Redundancy notices were also issued at Meriden which resulted in a sit-in there which lasted two years. Commando production was transferred in total to Wolverhampton.'

So I need to be looking '74 on for the better chance of a 'made in Wolves'.

Cheers

Yep, just avoid the sit-in years. There are rumours of half built triumph engines sitting unprotected for very long periods. It would perhaps be the same on the norton side too.

Yep, just avoid the sit-in years. There are rumours of half built triumph engines sitting unprotected for very long periods. It would perhaps be the same on the norton side too.

Cheers for that.

Yeah, that would make sense. I suppose late '75 onwards by the sound of things.

Blimey, I'm setting myself a narrow field of opportunity :blast

Have a word with Andover Norton.

There are two very different 850 models that are fairly easy to find, the older MKIIA with no electric start, rear drum brake and left hand gear change or the newer MKIII which came with an electric start, a drum rear brake and right hand gear change. Which do you want?

There are two very different 850 models that are fairly easy to find, the older MKIIA with no electric start, rear drum brake and left hand gear change or the newer MKIII which came with an electric start, a drum rear brake and right hand gear change. Which do you want?

I could live with either to be honest.

I've had 4 old brits with kick start and r/h gear change (but that was 25/30 years ago :blast)

I’ve got an 850 MKIIA and it’s due a kickstart conversion because my right ankle doesn’t like it any more.

You can get nearly any parts for either of them from a variety of sources with original instruments being the only parts that seem to be unobtainable but I’d stick to UK suppliers because generally speaking you’re going to get decent parts. If you buy one just post up queries here because there are a couple of owners and we’ve probably encountered most issues.

Access Norton is a good source of information but it’s an American forum so their suppliers will obviously be different to ours.

I’ve just looked back through the thread about my 850 and a guy called Casper might be worth contacting if he’s still a forum member. He’s right on the ball with these bikes.

Thought the early ones were right change and the later ones left; i know which way round my 750 fastback was; but i've never been on the 850.

Thought the early ones were right change and the later ones left; i know which way round my 750 fastback was; but i've never been on the 850.

Yeah, I typed it the wrong way round but not to worry, they’re different and that’s what matters.

Just to wet your appetite here is a photo of my 850 MK11a which won best Commando at the Norton owners club annual rally in 2019.

It may be put up for sale soon as its not getting used.

IMG_2317.jpg

Back
Top Bottom