Drive shaft gone at 56k - 2007 R1200RT-P

Caerelon9176

Reaction score
:mad: My daily commute/work hack has died!

It seems that BMW is aware of this issue from the online complaints and everything else being said, but to add insult to injury the prices for replacements are about half the cost of the bike! I've been quoted for the driveshaft by BMW (a new part number for drive shaft! 33731598825 - £700), they also don't sell the main pinion gear either, you need to replace the whole box! Main stealers quoted me £2,125 for parts only.

I've had better quotes from Motorworks, but still looking at £1k for used parts to repair it.

I don't think I could get away with welding material and cutting the inner splines again (Engineer) or to the same with the pinion. Does anyone know anyone UK or EU-based that completes overhauls? Any help would be appreciated before I have to sell my mother to get the bike back on the road.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o7kl4qicl5bekqd/IMG_0311.JPG?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/g7toymocptqd1h1/IMG_0315.JPG?dl=0

Talk to Mikeyboy

Overland and Classic, - he may be able to help with the rear drive

:mad: My daily commute/work hack has died!

It seems that BMW is aware of this issue from the online complaints and everything else being said, but to add insult to injury the prices for replacements are about half the cost of the bike! I've been quoted for the driveshaft by BMW (a new part number for drive shaft! 33731598825 - £700), they also don't sell the main pinion gear either, you need to replace the whole box! Main stealers quoted me £2,125 for parts only.

I've had better quotes from Motorworks, but still looking at £1k for used parts to repair it.

I don't think I could get away with welding material and cutting the inner splines again (Engineer) or to the same with the pinion. Does anyone know anyone UK or EU-based that completes overhauls? Any help would be appreciated before I have to sell my mother to get the bike back on the road.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o7kl4qicl5bekqd/IMG_0311.JPG?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/g7toymocptqd1h1/IMG_0315.JPG?dl=0

Talk to Russell at Bemer Bikes in Chingford. Let us know how you get on. Or Steptoe of this parish in SW London.

Russ is about 1 mile from me, i called him and he had another R1200rt on the lift in pieces trying to get the shaft off the final drive with a chisel :) afraid he didn't know of anywhere. Thanks for the assistance thus far guys.

Thanks for all the replies. I have spoken to Mikey and he was extremely helpful, but unfortunately in my case, these examples of drive failures are not repairable.

I have done a lot of digging around this one and trawled numerous sites. There are not many options out there because of ridiculous BMW pricing, which has hyped and inflated prices for secondhand parts. Caution if importing from EU or Worldwide anything greater than >£300 in value means you pay VAT (20%) and Import duty (another 20%)! Caveat Emptor!

I have decided to buy the replacement re-buildable driveshaft from Motorworks (£500)- just financially makes more sense than buying a BMW sourced replacement even though they have changed it as a new part number? for this discontinued model. What have they done to it? The second-hand options are out there for (£300) from flea bay, but dubious if they will last at all and you cannot strip/overhaul/grease these originals.

Preventative advice - I only lubed my driveshaft last year, it was clear the boot wasn't seated properly and there is a large open-air drain below the UJ where it connected, it was full of rusty water.

Advice, if you are searching the same;-

Final Drive - I have a 2007 RTP (different gear ratios) means I accelerate like a rocket. These are stamped on the underside of the drive like 31/11, 34/13, etc near the pivot point. I can use both Civ and Police FDs till 2010 before they moved them over to the other side of the bike. Check part numbers! The FDs are rebuildable, but according to Mikey the pinion and crown are a matched pair and strangely not available from BMW.

Driveshafts - be wary of the driveshaft you buy as there are 2! (check part numbers)! 20 teeth (<12/2007) and 22 teeth for models from >2008 (Mikey tells me this is on the engine exit side only).

what are the first symptoms of the problem?

i tried sending you a message but you haven't enabled private messaging in your settings

Not sure what you mean by FDs to 2010. I thought FD were right hand side until 2013, when they introduced the LC's with the drive on the left?

It was until the LC's arrived.

I fitted a 2012 swing arm and FD to my 2007 RT
I bought a new LC GS in 2013 when they came out, I have a 2013 Twin Cam RT just now, don't think the LC RT was launched until the year after in 2014, I guess that was the years they switched the FD to the other side.

what are the first symptoms of the problem?

i tried sending you a message but you haven't enabled private messaging in your settings

No prior warning at all. I did service it in about oct21 and I don't think the boot was completely sealing it, water has got in and caused advanced rusting, likely road salt as I'm a *cough* all-weather rider. The wheel has been off 3 times since without touching the DS or FD, so I have only myself to blame. The rusting has caused the teeth to reduce in strength and finally the two parts couldn't accept the torque and caused it to round off both sides.

Well the replacement FD from motorworks has arrived, but it is fitted with the unsafe designed hub, the replacement part is already fitted on my current busted FD which I intend to swap over...but, the hub itself is a PITA to remove. I have spent best part of £60 trying to get the damn thing off with various designed pullers. I think BMW intentionally made the design difficult to stop home repairs as none of them seem to work.

Does anyone, having carried a removal and hopefully a replacement of the hub know what tool they used and if they can direct me to any online store where i am likely to find one please?
Thanks

Well, I couldn't get the old hub off on the bike even with heating it up to 150 deg/C, so I have ordered a new one.

The removal tool I finally found that worked was this (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Special-Sliding-Bearings-Puller-200X150/dp/B00K30N8VA/ref=sr_1_2?crid=1917MAI0PYUWU&keywords=Extractor+Removal+Tool+45045005&qid=1655825371&sprefix=extractor+removal+tool+45045005%2Caps%2C74&sr=8-2) I'd rather spend the extra money of £128 than damaging the £500 FD to get it back together.

BMW has an on-bike removal tool, so if you are stuck you might have to approach them directly and of course it is well beyond the means of any BMW owner. I am in the process of drawing up an Extractor/Insertion plate for the rear hub in my spare mins.

This “rear hub” you’re talking about, do you mean the rear brake disc flange. I’ve a genuine bmw removal tool, a work of art and only a minute to remove the flange :D

Attachments

• F4F5B66B-6C7E-43A9-B7F0-07F407CFD1E1.jpeg
    F4F5B66B-6C7E-43A9-B7F0-07F407CFD1E1.jpeg
    132.6 KB · Views: 216
  • 836525B5-B0F1-43C4-8B46-603A78CF7324.jpeg
    836525B5-B0F1-43C4-8B46-603A78CF7324.jpeg
    100.3 KB · Views: 229

Back
Top Bottom