Engine not catching

cwells

Reaction score
Hello,
I have a 1995 1100GS and I have had issues with it not catching on startup and especially when it's warm. On startup, it will take several attempts to get it going and have to rev it more than I think I should have to but can eventually get it if it's the first time I try each day. It's even worse after riding for a while and am in constant fear that it will stall on me because if it does I will be stuck there. I had it maintenance last winter but it ended up with me losing my confidence in the mechanics as after 2 times bringing it in all they did was replace my throttle body and not solve the issue. I am admittedly new to this and have only had it for a year. When it runs it's amazing but starting it up is having me consider selling it. I will have more money in the summer to get it maintained again but would like to have a better idea of what's wrong or even better, I learn what's wrong and do it myself if possible. I replaced the spark plugs today and it still hasn't solved it. The problem is solved (barbarically) if I use started fluid but I only have done that once when it was stuck in a bad place. Any recommendations or questions are appreciated. Thanks!

Chase

Difficult to diagnose on such limited info Chase. Has the bike always been like this since you've owned it or has the fault recently started to appear? Has any other work been done? Does it spin over normally and just not fire or is it sluggish to turn over? When you changed the plugs were the electrodes a normal colour?

Things to consider, maybe fuel starvation. Has the fuel filter been changed anytime in your ownership. Have the valves been checked. On the electrical side perhaps the hall sensor or coil is failing when hot. Not sure what you mean 'I had it maintenance last winter' maybe you could expand on that?

The bike has not always been this way, it got bad late last year and for a while this spring it got a lot better, I assumed it had to do with outdoor temp but has been 15 C regularly and is not the issue. It is very old and had many owners maintenance and rebuilding it. It turns over and fires but takes many attempts to catch (I believe this is the right term) and stay going. I attached a picture of the previous spark plug. Looks to be some discoloration.
undefined

I had assumed it would not be something like the cleanliness of the fuel filter as the maintenance I had last winter included a full 12K Miles servicing of everything that but it could have progressed by then/they missed it. The fuel filter was not changed, would that be a good first step? My main difficulty when diagnosing this is that it runs great aside from startup. I appreciate the response!

What was the reason or changing the throttle body? Think you need a new spannerman.

The rubber fuel pipes inside the tank should be looked at carefully - if they are cracked your pump may struggle to pressurise the system.

Agreed, I went to my city's dealer, I have an eye on a better shop.

I do know some of the fuel lines were replaced by a previous owner and you are surely correct. Would this problem be specifc to starting up? I feel as though many thing i read online dont make a good diagnosis as they would probably affect driving.

You get to a point where several things could be the culprit on a 25 year old bike - when was the filter last changed, tank liner still intact, is the pump and hose in good shape, HES wiring, ignition lock wiring etc etc. All easily sorted, but need to be checked in a logical order only doing one thing at a time.

Could be something stupid like the TPS has been moved - dunno if this might affect starting more than normal running, but someone will be along soon to shoot this thought in the back of the head with a .45 if it doesn't.

The focus seems to have been on the fuel system, but I'm wondering whether this is all related to the Hall sensor (HES) failing, or maybe just the HES loom (27 Y/O) breaking down?

Plenty of videos on YouTube to walk you through replacement if necessary.

I doubt it's the fuel lines inside the tank, if it was it wouldn't run normally once it does start.

Does it struggle, is erratic and clunky when the engine is turning over ?

The first thing I'd be checking is the condition of the starter motor.

Thanks for all the responses gents. I am more convinced that it is a fuel issue due to how quickly the spark plugs are wearing and how sooted they are. Of course this could be the elctric affecting this as well.

Starting will stark with a couple seconds of cranking with turning over after. I would not say its ever erratic or clunky, very rrsponsive. With the lever put all the way it will go up to about 2 and a half k rpm then when I take it down to mid it will go to just above 1k rpm and when fully down it drops to a little under 1k.

I will look into the various things reccomended to see if I am able to inspect. I am a garageless city dweller so taking fuel tank off isnt my favorite. Mainly just dont want to have an idea so Im not paying a mechanic a fortune or having them not find the issue.

Thanks again all

Back
Top Bottom