Multistrada V4 ownership experience

I'm 1700miles in on my V4S coming from a S1kXR via an H2SXSE and the issues are ? cant think of any bar the thirsty nature especially when used around town which makes economy fall off a cliff with a 30mpg ave, though lugging the V4 low in the rpm range in higher gears e.g. 5th will pull high 20s/30mph (not fast pickup) seems to dramatically improve the dynamic fuel consumption figure shown (on dash) . Its not quite got the top-end banshee nature of the S1kXR (gen2) but has a mid-range instead of the huge hole in the Bims power curve. The Sygic GPS dash connectivity (pre update) is flakey and not as easy to use as a garmin so (as a long term garmin user) I've fitted an XT to mine. Only area the S1kXR better'd the V4 (imo) was screen airflow, my XR had the factory touring screen which gave good coverage on high but negated by the vibey bars, its hard to tell much difference in the multi screen position other than aesthetics. The H2SXSE highlighted that my rotator cuffs are a bit fekked and its static non-auto sussies couldnt cope with the local whoops/dips at speed with out bottoming out at the rear (two up) , I'd still love an H2SX SE (plus?) in the garage for solo blasts but finances/space and my shoulders are saying otherwise. Sorry forgot one V4S issue is it has the crappiest factory panniers of these 3 bikes (Xr/H2SX/V4) due to them being the small side (esp the exhaust side) , though they are slim enough for traffic filtering, they are barely enough for an overnight stay for two if your other half packs light (ymmv) . Cant bring myself to fit the Fugly duc topbox to address the luggage capacity issue.

Good summation.
But the last sentence basically rules it out as a two-up tourer.

Good summation.

Disagree. Everyone's wardrobe requirements are different. Up to 40L bag on the back for a week solo, panniers for a week two up/two weeks solo, panniers and a bag on the back for anything longer two up.

Disagree. Everyone's wardrobe requirements are different. Up to 40L bag on the back for a week solo, panniers for a week two up/two weeks solo, panniers and a bag on the back for anything longer two up.

Fine for Europe but I wouldn’t ride with a bag on the back in crime -ridden UK.

Fine for Europe but I wouldn’t ride with a bag on the back in crime -ridden UK.

Seriously?

The bag obviously comes off, but assume you mean when stopping in the day to explore?

You can replace the word bag for box if exploring on foot is your thing, but unfair to say the bike isn't suitable for touring two up, that's all.

Seriously?

The bag obviously comes off, but assume you mean when stopping in the day to explore?

You can replace the word bag for box if exploring on foot is your thing, but unfair to say the bike isn't suitable for touring two up, that's all.

Do you not stop for lunch then ? I wasn’t talking about leaving the bike to walk the Pennine Way.But simply stopping for lunch or a cuppa with the bike out of sight.
Never had an issue in Europe but have had stuff nicked off a bike in UK before now.

Do you not stop for lunch then ? I wasn’t talking about leaving the bike to walk the Pennine Way.But simply stopping for lunch or a cuppa with the bike out of sight.
Never had an issue in Europe but have had stuff nicked off a bike in UK before now.

A whole new thread, but I wouldn't be stopping in Toxteth for a sarnie, but rather touring in (say) The Lake District, plus, it's no hassle to park the bike in plain sight in any case.

All immaterial, as I don't travel with a pillion, but more pointing out how your post was incorrect. Prior to dissing the brand further, please not the comment replacing the bag with a box...

I'm 1700miles in on my V4S coming from a S1kXR via an H2SXSE and the issues are ? cant think of any bar the thirsty nature especially when used around town which makes economy fall off a cliff with a 30mpg ave, though lugging the V4 low in the rpm range in higher gears e.g. 5th will pull high 20s/30mph (not fast pickup) seems to dramatically improve the dynamic fuel consumption figure shown (on dash) . Its not quite got the top-end banshee nature of the S1kXR (gen2) but has a mid-range instead of the huge hole in the Bims power curve. The Sygic GPS dash connectivity (pre update) is flakey and not as easy to use as a garmin so (as a long term garmin user) I've fitted an XT to mine. Only area the S1kXR better'd the V4 (imo) was screen airflow, my XR had the factory touring screen which gave good coverage on high but negated by the vibey bars, its hard to tell much difference in the multi screen position other than aesthetics. The H2SXSE highlighted that my rotator cuffs are a bit fekked and its static non-auto sussies couldnt cope with the local whoops/dips at speed with out bottoming out at the rear (two up) , I'd still love an H2SX SE (plus?) in the garage for solo blasts but finances/space and my shoulders are saying otherwise. Sorry forgot one V4S issue is it has the crappiest factory panniers of these 3 bikes (Xr/H2SX/V4) due to them being the small side (esp the exhaust side) , though they are slim enough for traffic filtering, they are barely enough for an overnight stay for two if your other half packs light (ymmv) . Cant bring myself to fit the Fugly duc topbox to address the luggage capacity issue.

Nicely put thanks for your input, interesting regarding the panniers I always ride solo so am sure they would cope with a 7-10 day trip, for me :thumb

Good summation.
You can order spam tin panniers from Ducati now (other spam tins are or will be available).

I've got the panniers on mine (and pannier bags) but for my forthcoming trip but I'm going with a squashy bag on the back and a tankbag, we are staying at different hotels every night so it feels like the better option, I won't be letting the bike out of my sight whilst in the U.K. but will be less concerned in Spain/Portugal.

A whole new thread, but I wouldn't be stopping in Toxteth for a sarnie, but rather touring in (say) The Lake District, plus, it's no hassle to park the bike in plain sight in any case.

All immaterial, as I don't travel with a pillion, but more pointing out how your post was incorrect. Prior to dissing the brand further, please not the comment replacing the bag with a box...

Yet it was in The Lake District (near Windermere ) that a git nicked my gloves out of a bag.We had to park in a car park and walk to a cafe ,as there was no place to park in view.So yes, there was hassle.
Luggage is immaterial in any case, as the pillion seat is not very good on the latest bikes.
Only rode with the missus on the back for about half an hour but she didn’t rate it.
Obviously partners come in different sizes, just like their packing requirements do :)
And I’m not quite sure how you can say the V4S is a good two-up bike if you haven’t ridden two up on it !
But that’s the joy of the internet.

The V4 Multi is a great bike, if you hoon around solo.But there are better options if you need to carry a pillion and don’t want to stop every 130 miles for fuel !

Yet it was in The Lake District (near Windermere ) that a git nicked my gloves out of a bag.We had to park in a car park and walk to a cafe ,as there was no place to park in view.So yes, there was hassle.
Luggage is immaterial in any case, as the pillion seat is not very good on the latest bikes.
Only rode with the missus on the back for about half an hour but she didn’t rate it.
Obviously partners come in different sizes, just like their packing requirements do :)
And I’m not quite sure how you can say the V4S is a good two-up bike if you haven’t ridden two up on it !
But that’s the joy of the internet.

The V4 Multi is a great bike, if you hoon around solo.But there are better options if you need to carry a pillion and don’t want to stop every 130 miles for fuel !

Yep, stuff can get nicked anywhere, but I don't carry crime statistics with me on tour, so just take the good with the bad.

I didn't say I hadn't ridden two up, I simply choose not to regularly. The majority of the time I'm solo. The bike is for me, me, me, however, the bike is absolutely fine in terms of two up touring, which is the point you disagreed with. For everyone - no - but not everyone will buy a V4 ;-)

I've got the panniers on mine (and pannier bags) but for my forthcoming trip but I'm going with a squashy bag on the back and a tankbag, we are staying at different hotels every night so it feels like the better option, I won't be letting the bike out of my sight whilst in the U.K. but will be less concerned in Spain/Portugal.

I have the OEM panniers, but not used them, preferring a seat bag and sometimes a tank bag. I have a toll tag, so no fiddling if passing one and the only things I need quick access to is my passport, mobile and cards/cash, which go in a jacket pocket.

To be fair, heading out on a Euro trip, I BLAST down to the ferry/Eurostar in a morning and I'm gone. My metabolism can go without food for the journey (300 miles) and I will stop once for a pee/brew/fill up. The day I start looking back at my bag when paying for fuel (assuming it's not a card operated pump) is the day I will sell the bike and ask to rent the spare room at Warlords gaff.

The day I start looking back at my bag when paying for fuel (assuming it's not a card operated pump) is the day I will sell the bike and ask to rent the spare room at Warlords gaff.

Just to qualify I'm not suggesting that :blast

1600 miles around Asturias, Portugal, Galica and Picos and I can confirm 200 miles to a tankful is achievable and my overall average was at times above 50 mpg, so better than expected but there again I'm not road testing someone else's bike for a mag or for a yoof tube channel, the thrash up the M5 at a smidge above the legal limit(officer....) from Plymouth ferry port saw that average drop back to low 40's mpg
i-QJbTr3B-XL.jpg

1600 miles around Asturias, Portugal, Galica and Picos and I can confirm 200 miles to a tankful is achievable and my overall average was at times above 50 mpg, so better than expected but there again I'm not road testing someone else's bike for a mag or for a yoof tube channel, the thrash up the M5 at a smidge above the legal limit(officer....) from Plymouth ferry port saw that average drop back to low 40's mpg
i-QJbTr3B-XL.jpg

Funny things the V4 lumps for fuel consumption

I know my V4s engine is different but on my Spanish hoon it did actually return me 42MPG over the near 1600 miles

What was particularly odd was that on the M way at constant throttle ( a tad over the speed limit) the fuel light was coming on at about 75 miles

In the Picos hammering it in 1st 2nd and 3rd the fuel light was coming on at about 95 miles ...

The KTM SDR was way better on the boring roads fuel wise and yet worse in the mountains

Go figure

I rode 900 miles on mine last week and whilst I didn’t measure the consumption a tankful lasted better than expected.

I’m doing the Three highest pub thing in a few weeks so that will give me a chance to measure consumption.

I need to add

I dont care how many miles it does to the gallon it wasn't bought to be frugal it was bought to be fun

It is and you cant put a price on that

Well said that man! Why else would you want a bike!

I need to add

I dont care how many miles it does to the gallon it wasn't bought to be frugal it was bought to be fun

It is and you cant put a price on that

I can’t begin to imagine how much “fun” it is to be searching for fuel every 75 miles, the Multi V4S is billed as a sporting tourer so a reasonable tank range is a prerequisite whereas on the street fighter it’s neither expected or it seems required, horses for courses. My experience tells me that on my V4 Multi I can get a similar range to other bikes I’m travelling with, stying in sync at fuel stops helps and saves time when travelling in a group.

Back
Top Bottom