Multistrada V4 ownership experience

I can’t begin to imagine how much “fun” it is to be searching for fuel every 75 miles, the Multi V4S is billed as a sporting tourer so a reasonable tank range is a prerequisite whereas on the street fighter it’s neither expected or it seems required, horses for courses. My experience tells me that on my V4 Multi I can get a similar range to other bikes I’m travelling with, stying in sync at fuel stops helps and saves time when travelling in a group.

Considering other folk you’re riding with Steve? You’ll end up getting chucked off the forum!:D

I can’t begin to imagine how much “fun” it is to be searching for fuel every 75 miles, the Multi V4S is billed as a sporting tourer so a reasonable tank range is a prerequisite whereas on the street fighter it’s neither expected or it seems required, horses for courses. My experience tells me that on my V4 Multi I can get a similar range to other bikes I’m travelling with, stying in sync at fuel stops helps and saves time when travelling in a group.

But the motor on the SFV4S is so much nicer than the sewing machine fitted in the Multi !!

Any more reports on V4S ownership? I am thinking of replacing my GS after the debacle I had in Holland. Been to look at one at SMC and I like the white one and the screen/IT looks decent. I will test ride one but am away for the next two weeks riding to the South of France and then in the south of England.

Any reports on the bike would be most welcome. Thanks.

The built in SatNav was a PITA imo, I’ve fitted an Garmin XT, which I’m v pleased with. I now have the aluminium luggage, which looks great but haven’t tested it other than a blat along the A303.

The fuel issue is not so bad once your used to it, as is the chain, but the ride more than makes up for it.

Near to 4000 miles on mine now, a Euro trip and a few weekends away and more local blats around mid & west Wales and am very happy with it, as has been mentioned fuel consumption is heavier than most comparable bikes but mid 40's seems to be about the norm, it's easier to clean and seems to stay cleaner for longer than mu GS Rallye ever did, I give the chain a wipe over and some wax lube every other ride.
I've also fitted a Zumo XT which I've found to be very good, I have 2 tank bags 1 for touring and a smaller one for more local rides, I also have the panniers but haven't used them yet in favour of a roll bag on the rear rack. My dealer experience has been mixed after they made the mother of all cock ups with the paperwork/the part exchange etc. and additional items ordered have been sporadic in their delivery, I picked up the bike in April and am having the Tyre pressure sensors fitted next week :blast
The techies at my local dealership are good and I trust them and the service manager has been great and offered me a free service to compensate for the poor treatment I've received so I'm not even contemplating jumping ship. To ride it's a hoot, competent and unobtrusive when you want it to be, engaging and responsive when the mood takes you. It won't suit everyone's tastes but it's the right choice for me right now.

So I had a V4S for the weekend. I thought it was a fantastic machine with pin sharp steering, amazing road holding and fast as long as you rode it like you’d nicked it. The radar cruise control thingy is absolutely awesome as well and I was very impressed. A lovely bike.

However, after some reflection, I won’t be buying one. I prefer my GS for what I want to do: long tours, commute and generally pootle about on my main mode of transportation. The GS is better in all these aspects and it has made me rediscover what is so awesome about it. Available torque everywhere in any gear, perfectly balanced and an all round workhorse that cannot be beaten.

I loved my time with the Ducati but my conclusion is that it is a very different bike indeed to the GS and not really comparable. If you want just one bike and have a preference for deliberate speed then the Ducati is a very good option. For me though, I have an S1000RR for that so a master of all trades idea isn’t really relevant for me.

Consequently, the GS stays and I will probably upgrade to the new one once it is a stable product. Incidentally, my local dealership said it is definitely being launched in the UK in late September.

Just back from a 2000 mile + Euro trip my V4S now has over 6000 miles on the odo, still loving it and no desire to change or downgrade to anything else, original tyres are now coming to the end of their life, chain has been adjusted once, performance, handling & braking are as sublime as ever, it's as comfortable as any big bike I've had, this trip I made a small change by adding an MRA screen with spoiler which has improved the buffeting and reduced wind noise and this time I used the panniers for my luggage carrying duties complete with the pannier liners/bags which are an irregular shape but coped with my requirements for a week no problem, fuel consumption is often mentioned so I'll add that over 2100 miles I averaged 48 mpg according to the bike's on board calculations.

Hochmoselbrucke

Untitled photo

Col de Bagenelles

Untitled photo

Had a V4s Full since Sep 22. Chopped in the R1250GS for it. Minor niggles only. Back brake was initially crap, dealer investigated and the brake fluid was badly contaminated. Now the back brake is only a bit weak compared to the GS. The plastic compartment in the tank for your phone is not much use, my phone gets too hot so I fitted a quad lock on the bars powered by a USB cable and now all is well. It is a bit of a thirsty beast but you get more smiles per mile and you can't put a price on that! The Scorpion Trail tyres are surprisingly good, grippy and should last a fair while. Not toured on her yet but it is a very comfy place to be for a few hours blasting around the Yorks Dales. People are critical of the Ducati Connect app but it has worked OK for me, even the SYGIC satnav software works on the TFT. Prefer the GS wheel thingy on the handlebar but I can live with the little joystick even though, at first, I was hitting the joystick every time I put the indicators on. The blind spot detector is great for motorway riding as is the adaptive cruise control feature. I've got a good dealer in Ducati Preston, no bullshit and they will investigate problems without the idiotic excuses some dealers come out with. The engine is very quick on the uptake, making a cheeky overtake a fun experience. Any questions...happy to give an opinion lol!

Don't want to derail the thread,

But my experience of Ducati Preston so far since buying a V4 Rally has been horrendous to say the least.

Example - First service completed, rode home parked the bike up, some time later went to clean the bike and noticed the oil level glass was completely full and the bubble only appeared once the bike was leant over to the left. All this after doing what the manual says in ensuring the oil had settled correctly.

Rang the dealer to ask if it was ok to use and he said don't warry we over fill them all to account for oil burn off in the first few thousand miles.

The V4 manual specifically states do not over fill past max level - ever.

Many more issues to list and will be moving my custom elsewhere in the future.

So they burn oil for the first few 1000 miles?
that doesn’t sound right does it

They dont !

All sounds bollocks from the dealer but mine was overfilled a bit as it is quite difficult to get it right particularly on my SF
You look and get the bike level and the oil looks low so you add a thimble full and hey presto it is suddenly overfilled

Simple truth is that a bit of overfill will vent off through the breather and the air box

6k miles on mine and it hasn’t needed a top up of oil in between services. As Rick says above it sounds like the dealer is talking shite.

Strangely enough my PP burns oil sometimes ?
Mines got 26k on it now , on a recent 2500 trip round Europe I used a litre.
since I’ve been back in the uk , I’ve don’t another 1500 miles and it’s not burnt a drop
cant understand the trend really

Don't want to derail the thread,

But my experience of Ducati Preston so far since buying a V4 Rally has been horrendous to say the least.

Example - First service completed, rode home parked the bike up, some time later went to clean the bike and noticed the oil level glass was completely full and the bubble only appeared once the bike was leant over to the left. All this after doing what the manual says in ensuring the oil had settled correctly.

Rang the dealer to ask if it was ok to use and he said don't warry we over fill them all to account for oil burn off in the first few thousand miles.

The V4 manual specifically states do not over fill past max level - ever.

Many more issues to list and will be moving my custom elsewhere in the future.
Really sorry to hear this about the dealer, these bikes ain't cheap! I've suffered at the hands of BMW dealers in the past, you know the ones, those who treat you like you've bought a dodgy bag of spuds....not a good feeling. No dealer is perfect I guess, I don't speak to the "front desk" (they generally know f all about the bikes) but seek out the head mechanic for a chat about any issues, he has always been great with me. The head of sales I've known since the dealership opened its doors in 2010, a really nice, helpful bloke who helped me set up the Ducati connect app etc.

Had 3 V4s Multis . 1st was the Multi V4s Sport Full , great bike and found it a pleasure top ride , made the mistake in buying the Pikes Peak which turned out to be a bag of spanners and rejected it , got replaced by a V4s Travel and radar , over all did around 20k on them and enjoyed every mile.
Gone back to the 1250 gs as the missus hated being on the multi and also I find the Gs more fun on the back roads as it has more low down punch and your not up and down the gears as much , to add the V4 motor was brilliant but did need to be spanked to make a gap , great chassis but equal to the GS , both peg scrapers but the Gs can carry more corner speed as the front end behaves better ( no dive etc) so you can push harder. Over all both bikes equal and a credit to their factories.

<iframe width="1271" height="715" src="
" title="Adventure Bike vs Superbikes | Ducati Multistrada V4 Pikes Peak at Silverstone GP" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

An adventure bike running with sport tyres and full race mode with the back end jacked up , loads of adjustments made to get it to work , I tried that on the roads I ride and boy it was hard hard work and pretty awful , much better in normal dynamic mode with the rear pre load raised , but still twitchy. .. would work on the track as he said but on the roads with that set up , not really. The V4s and the PP on normal road pretty even with similar skilled riders but the V4s worked better as it was less sensitive to road surface changes as the Gs is , so you can keep a constant pace , always a winner and keep the game even.
For me the PP was a parts bin bike for people like me who wanted a super moto with 170 bhp. for me the dream was not the reality and the standard V4 worked better.

No need for a fuel cell. Plenty of filling stations in Spain. And you always need a Cortado! If you have a Mastercard use CEPSA filling stations as you get a 30c per litre discount. My V4S is a wonderful bike. Only shortcoming is the fuel consumption. But it’s other attributes far outweigh that. Brilliant bike in the mountains. No plans to go back to a GSA.
Called in to M&P today to sort out service record on my GS and there was a PP parked outside reception
What a beauty!
Hmmm
Love the GS but maybe I need a second bike for back up!

Back
Top Bottom