Multistrada V4 ownership experience

2 wheel humvee

www.humvee-graphics.com
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
V4 Multi owners how are you getting on with the bike? I've had my V4S just a couple of weeks having traded from a Multi 950S, the V4S is having it's first service on Monday and having a few parts fitted that were ordered but not available when I collected the bike, touring pack, sump guard and tyre pressure sensors. I've added a an Evotech holder for the Zumo XT, a fender extenda and also have a couple of tank bags carried over from my previous Multi I've also fitted a Stebel Magnum horn to replace the pathetic standard (peep peep) horn, and I managed to pick up an Akra can on e-bay, very happy so far and haven't taken it past 5.5k revs so looking forward to being able to extend the motor a bit further.

Day 1
i-wzpWqms-XL.jpg

Possibly the best bike in its "sector"

The only criticism I ever see of it is the fuel range and that the V4 motor does like to drink

I'm beginning to realise most of the press reports and video reviews were right about the fuel consumption aspect, at running in speeds the best I've seen on the bike's display is 44 mpg, in a couple of weeks time I will have a better idea of realistic tank range etc.

The only criticism I ever see of it is the fuel range and that the V4 motor does like to drink

It’s all relative , depending what an owner likes .
Much prefer my 2021 1290R to the Pikes Peak and it cost me less than half .

I'm beginning to realise most of the press reports and video reviews were right about the fuel consumption aspect, at running in speeds the best I've seen on the bike's display is 44 mpg, in a couple of weeks time I will have a better idea of realistic tank range etc.

44mpg

I am envious as the SF does 32ish while being restrained and 25 on a good spanking

Its going to be a nightmare in Spain next week but worth it

Is that the V4 Pikes or the old 1260 ?

I loved my 1260 PP but yes the 1290 is certainly good value and that engine is stonking the way it delivers its grunt. Personally I just find that the Ducati are a little more "refined" or subtle or something I cant put my finger on but thats just me. I do like the new Pikes Peak for the most part but regardless of how good they are I still cant quite like the V4S version enough to consider one ( dunno why TBH)

Lad coming to the Picos is on a 1290 SA so we will see and of course a regular riding mate has long been on a 1290SDR so I do know how they compare which IMO again is the best KTM 1290 variant

A post about a V4S and someone tells us how a completely different bike isn't as good as his completely different bike - online forums at their best :D

Glad you're enjoying it OP and yes, longer trips can be a pain with reflueiling, but our little group isn't all GS riders, so it';s become the norm for us.

I ended up changing my factory order again. The 950s needed a few quid spending on it, so pushed onto a PP and now happy to wait the year or so and enjoy the freshly serviced bike over summer.

That’s certainly what I found, but what a lovely thing to ride! My plans for two up touring on it were shelved though, range played a part as did luggage capacity. Reverted to another GSA as a “holiday bike”. Pikes Peak due 20/5, no plans for long range (by my standards) two up touring on that though.

Yep - definitely thirsty. I’ve done coming up for 2,500 miles now and it’s not getting any better. 180 seems to be a realistic tank range, with the light coming on around 140-150. On a 1,000 mile jaunt to and around The Lakes a couple of weeks back, in the company of 2x1200R, a 1250GS and a SuperDuke GT, not only was I always the first to need fuel but I put in approximately 50% more than anybody else every time. TBH it might become a bit of a pain, which is a pity because otherwise I really like the bike.

I do have a slight suspicion that the riding position is giving me some lower-back grumbles, whereas the GS used to give me shoulder ache. I guess you pays your money, you takes your choice…

44mpg

I am envious as the SF does 32ish while being restrained and 25 on a good spanking

Its going to be a nightmare in Spain next week but worth it

That was running in and limiting revs to 5.5k but getting a wriggle on and using the gears a lot, I won't achieve that in the mountains I'm sure.
Whereabouts in Spain are you going? A group of us will be on the ferry to Santander next Sunday.

A post about a V4S and someone tells us how a completely different bike isn't as good as his completely different bike - online forums at their best :D

Glad you're enjoying it OP and yes, longer trips can be a pain with reflueiling, but our little group isn't all GS riders, so it';s become the norm for us.

I ended up changing my factory order again. The 950s needed a few quid spending on it, so pushed onto a PP and now happy to wait the year or so and enjoy the freshly serviced bike over summer.

Yep that's the beauty of forums ;)
Good luck with the PP that's a long wait.

That’s certainly what I found, but what a lovely thing to ride! My plans for two up touring on it were shelved though, range played a part as did luggage capacity. Reverted to another GSA as a “holiday bike”. Pikes Peak due 20/5, no plans for long range (by my standards) two up touring on that though.

Good luck with the PP
I don't think a PP is for me but they do look lovely, apart from the price with no extras I think it would be too focused for my riding needs and wants, hopefully I'll find the V4S a good "do it all" bike.

Yep - definitely thirsty. I’ve done coming up for 2,500 miles now and it’s not getting any better. 180 seems to be a realistic tank range, with the light coming on around 140-150. On a 1,000 mile jaunt to and around The Lakes a couple of weeks back, in the company of 2x1200R, a 1250GS and a SuperDuke GT, not only was I always the first to need fuel but I put in approximately 50% more than anybody else every time. TBH it might become a bit of a pain, which is a pity because otherwise I really like the bike.

I do have a slight suspicion that the riding position is giving me some lower-back grumbles, whereas the GS used to give me shoulder ache. I guess you pays your money, you takes your choice…

That's about the sort of range and consumption I'm expecting, I'll know for sure in a couple of weeks.

Is that the V4 Pikes or the old 1260 ?

I loved my 1260 PP but yes the 1290 is certainly good value and that engine is stonking the way it delivers its grunt. Personally I just find that the Ducati are a little more "refined" or subtle or something I cant put my finger on but thats just me. I do like the new Pikes Peak for the most part but regardless of how good they are I still cant quite like the V4S version enough to consider one ( dunno why TBH)

Lad coming to the Picos is on a 1290 SA so we will see and of course a regular riding mate has long been on a 1290SDR so I do know how they compare which IMO again is the best KTM 1290 variant

V4

208dc2044a0774c5d3a7cb18b3e14695.jpg

ec5e2b58365b67a343d7b62efe268684.jpg

That was running in and limiting revs to 5.5k but getting a wriggle on and using the gears a lot, I won't achieve that in the mountains I'm sure.
Whereabouts in Spain are you going? A group of us will be on the ferry to Santander next Sunday.

Yep that's the beauty of forums ;)
Good luck with the PP that's a long wait.

Good luck with the PP
I don't think a PP is for me but they do look lovely, apart from the price with no extras I think it would be too focused for my riding needs and wants, hopefully I'll find the V4S a good "do it all" bike.

That's about the sort of range and consumption I'm expecting, I'll know for sure in a couple of weeks.

I am going on Wednesday from Plymouth
There for a week staying in Fuente De so no doubt we will bump in to each other ill keep my eyes peeled

I am going on Wednesday from Plymouth
There for a week staying in Fuente De so no doubt we will bump in to each other ill keep my eyes peeled

Maybe, we are passing through Picos region and staying just outside on 1st night, then heading to Portugal for 2 nights, Galicia for 2 nights, then back into Picos region for 1 night and final night at Hotel Del Oso, looking forward to it but wondering if I should invest in a Rotopak fuel cell before I go :D

Maybe, we are passing through Picos region and staying just outside on 1st night, then heading to Portugal for 2 nights, Galicia for 2 nights, then back into Picos region for 1 night and final night at Hotel Del Oso, looking forward to it but wondering if I should invest in a Rotopak fuel cell before I go :D

Sounds a good route

How is a V4 Pikes Peak totally different to a V4S ???

You bought one and don't know?

I'll leave you to argue with yourself, or find a compare tool on some online site.

No need for a fuel cell. Plenty of filling stations in Spain. And you always need a Cortado! If you have a Mastercard use CEPSA filling stations as you get a 30c per litre discount. My V4S is a wonderful bike. Only shortcoming is the fuel consumption. But it’s other attributes far outweigh that. Brilliant bike in the mountains. No plans to go back to a GSA.

How is a V4 Pikes Peak totally different to a V4S ???

I can think of about 5000 differences before adding luggage or other options ;)

Sounds a good route

Hope so :okay

No need for a fuel cell. Plenty of filling stations in Spain. And you always need a Cortado! If you have a Mastercard use CEPSA filling stations as you get a 30c per litre discount. My V4S is a wonderful bike. Only shortcoming is the fuel consumption. But it’s other attributes far outweigh that. Brilliant bike in the mountains. No plans to go back to a GSA.

The Rotopax remark was tongue in cheek I’ve been many times before and seldom struggled for a fuel station, that sounds like a great deal regarding the CEPSA filling stations I will try and remember that thank you :beerjug:
No plans here to go back to a GSA either, my last GS was a GS Rallye and I much preferred it over the Adventure.

Glad you’re enjoying your new bike Steve, I’m very happy with my 1190R.
If you’d like to borrow a RotoPak, I have one, to which you would be very welcome.
Cheers
Richard

I'm 1700miles in on my V4S coming from a S1kXR via an H2SXSE and the issues are ? cant think of any bar the thirsty nature especially when used around town which makes economy fall off a cliff with a 30mpg ave, though lugging the V4 low in the rpm range in higher gears e.g. 5th will pull high 20s/30mph (not fast pickup) seems to dramatically improve the dynamic fuel consumption figure shown (on dash) . Its not quite got the top-end banshee nature of the S1kXR (gen2) but has a mid-range instead of the huge hole in the Bims power curve. The Sygic GPS dash connectivity (pre update) is flakey and not as easy to use as a garmin so (as a long term garmin user) I've fitted an XT to mine. Only area the S1kXR better'd the V4 (imo) was screen airflow, my XR had the factory touring screen which gave good coverage on high but negated by the vibey bars, its hard to tell much difference in the multi screen position other than aesthetics. The H2SXSE highlighted that my rotator cuffs are a bit fekked and its static non-auto sussies couldnt cope with the local whoops/dips at speed with out bottoming out at the rear (two up) , I'd still love an H2SX SE (plus?) in the garage for solo blasts but finances/space and my shoulders are saying otherwise. Sorry forgot one V4S issue is it has the crappiest factory panniers of these 3 bikes (Xr/H2SX/V4) due to them being the small side (esp the exhaust side) , though they are slim enough for traffic filtering, they are barely enough for an overnight stay for two if your other half packs light (ymmv) . Cant bring myself to fit the Fugly duc topbox to address the luggage capacity issue.

Back
Top Bottom