2021 R1250GS USB port output?

Spareparts

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
The 2021 GS has a BMW fitted USB port as standard instead of the previous DIN socket. Does anyone know if this is a 2.1A or 1A output?

Reason for asking is that I find that it is struggling to keep my iPhone charged when it is running GoogleMaps. This was never a problem before when I used an Optimate DIN-USB adaptor which provided twin 2.1A + 1A USB sockets.

I am tempted to swap out the oem USB socket for the Nippy Normans twin USB socket (which provides 2.1A + 1A) but just wanted to check what other peoples’ experience has been if you have the BMW oem USB socket…

So is the din socket no longer fitted to a GS ? . If not you may struggle to get a better output as the canbus is likely to be in charge of any output going up to the socket.
If it is 1 A perhaps you can get it re programmed by a dealer to increase the output.

You could swap it out for the din socket under the lefthand side of the rider seat and revert to using the Optimate adaptor. I'm toying with doing this for my next trip.

So is the din socket no longer fitted to a GS ? . If not you may struggle to get a better output as the canbus is likely to be in charge of any output going up to the socket.
If it is 1 A perhaps you can get it re programmed by a dealer to increase the output.

The DIN socket on the current GS is only on the left hand side under the rider's seat, instead of at the cockpit which is more convenient in terms of location.

You could swap it out for the din socket under the lefthand side of the rider seat and revert to using the Optimate adaptor. I'm toying with doing this for my next trip.

Yes, this is possible, but one might as well just get the NN twin USB output kit as the replacement DIN socket+Optimate combo is not needed.

I can only comment to say it runs a quadlock wireless charging head that wirelessly charges my wife’s iphone11 with no problem at all (while she’s using 5he phone to play her music on the bike). I also used the same (before I bought the BMW cradle) and that ran my phone sat nav and still put charge in to an iPhone 12 Pro.

Not sure if a 1A charge would be able to do that?

I can only comment to say it runs a quadlock wireless charging head that wirelessly charges my wife’s iphone11 with no problem at all (while she’s using 5he phone to play her music on the bike). I also used the same (before I bought the BMW cradle) and that ran my phone sat nav and still put charge in to an iPhone 12 Pro.

Not sure if a 1A charge would be able to do that?

That’s al I need it to do too which will be 2.1A. Hmmm… I’ll double-check the cable to see if it is a cable problem and not the port itself.

That’s al I need it to do too which will be 2.1A. Hmmm… I’ll double-check the cable to see if it is a cable problem and not the port itself.

If it’s for a quadlock wireless charging head, make sure the button is pressed to on, on the charging head. My wife’s stopped working, thought the unit was faulty and was informed that there is an on off button under the wireless head! I hadn’t spotted it and with one click it came back to life….doh!

If it’s for a quadlock wireless charging head, make sure the button is pressed to on, on the charging head. My wife’s stopped working, thought the unit was faulty and was informed that there is an on off button under the wireless head! I hadn’t spotted it and with one click it came back to life….doh!

Whoa, I didn’t even see this! I also just picked up a ‘Smart USB controller’ from Quadlock… it connects direct to the battery avoiding Canbus and auto on/offs… this will hopefully work (it ahould given it is from Quadlock) and also put less load on the Canbus.

The 2021 GS has a BMW fitted USB port as standard instead of the previous DIN socket. Does anyone know if this is a 2.1A or 1A output?

Reason for asking is that I find that it is struggling to keep my iPhone charged when it is running GoogleMaps. This was never a problem before when I used an Optimate DIN-USB adaptor which provided twin 2.1A + 1A USB sockets.

I am tempted to swap out the oem USB socket for the Nippy Normans twin USB socket (which provides 2.1A + 1A) but just wanted to check what other peoples’ experience has been if you have the BMW oem USB socket…

you are correct,i am away at the moment and my navigator v1 is starting to pack up.so i have google maps running on my phone on a quadlock,i have the charging cable running from the usb to my phone and like you it wont keep up,so battery power is dropping

you are correct,i am away at the moment and my navigator v1 is starting to pack up.so i have google maps running on my phone on a quadlock,i have the charging cable running from the usb to my phone and like you it wont keep up,so battery power is dropping

Strange because it worked fine when I was running it, even with an iPhone 12.

Found this from the downloaded manual.....

USB CHARGING SOCKET
Notes on use:
Charge current
This is a 5 V USB charging interface that provides a maximum charge current of 2.4 A

If your phone is drawing in excess of 2 amps at 5 volts when on normal charging, I might be concerned about its battery health.

Perhaps the phone is attempting to 'fast charge' through a socket that can't provide enough juice ??

I have my USB socket on a 21 GSA connected to a Ram Mount wireless charger/holder mounted on the handlebar. It keeps my Samsung S21 Ultra fully charged at all times, including during heavy use with Google Maps, BMW App, Spotify and stored music. A bonus with this set up is that the bike switches off the USB after a short while so no unexpected discharge from the bike battery.

It could be an issue with the phone’s charging software not liking the usb charge point on the bike. I am an iPhone 13pro user, but my company supply me with a Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
On my desk, I have a Belkin 24w dual output wall charger, which I bought recently from Argos. My iPhone charges no bother, but my Samsung has recently thrown a fit with it, and will only charge extra slow. That slow, that if I am using the phone for texting, or emailing, the charger will not keep up. It comes up with an error, and says to check the cable and charger. Both work nicely with other devices.

the USB rather than DIN socket is plug and play - 24 quid and they can get them the next day

if you want both various places claim to have old stock but there's a genuine lead that links, so you get both ( I think the first two are the same part - one off a K1300GT and old 2011 GSA but now obsolete ) but the next one is the same cable I believe with a new part number (allegedly 2m long), should be 40 quid but being BMW its probably 80

Cable Socket 61127698475 K1300GT on K25 adv

Cable Socket 61127712581

Cable Socket 61127722692

Update: so I have traced the problem to the wireless Quadlock charger! It is a few years old, and there appears to be a fault with it. It seems to turn off and on by itself whenever it goes over a bump. If the phone is removed and I gently tap on the wireless head unit whilst it is powered, the power light goes on/off… so new Quadlock charger ordered, and will report back if normal service is resumed.

Swapped the old wireless Quadlock charger for a new one (which appears to be slightly different in design), and the phone now charges without issue whilst running GoogleMaps and other apps in the background. Problem solved.

Back
Top Bottom