R100GSPD How To Check The Driveshaft

X7eater

Reaction score
Hi all, I’ve owned several airheads including an R100 and R65LS and am now looking to purchase an R100GSPD…. My first paralever bike!

I’m aware of the (somewhat) limited lifespan of the driveshaft couplings on these bikes, but the current owner does not know if or when the driveshaft was last serviced or replaced. The bike has done 50,000 miles.

Question….without pulling the driveshaft apart, how can I check the paralever driveshaft for signs of unreasonable wear?

Bike on centrestand and turn the back wheel. Listen carefully and "feel" the back wheel , while turning it, for any roughness transmitted to it. Saying that, mine needed replaced and I was unaware until my local airhead guru pointed it out to me after a carb sync and tappets setting! It cost me £100 ish to have the Hardy Spicer replaced at a local engineering shop. I'm afraid the angle of the paralever is such that the shaft will need work done at some point. A classic case of TADTS (They all do that, sir!)

Edit: I suggest you post this in the Airhead section or maybe an Admin could move this thread?

Back
Top Bottom