New rider shopping and need your opinion

Turbo_Bimmer

Reaction score
Hello all, first post here.

My background? I've been doing motocross in my 14-27 years of age (RM125). After, the wife didn't want me to have a road bike because I was a new father etc, etc. So I went in car racing LOL.
Fast forward many years later, kid is living by her own, wife is gone, I'm free ;-)

I've owned BMWs (cars) for the last 26 years (even my racecar), so my hart is with the brand. I like the styling, off-road capability, technology of the 650GS.

I am shopping for a bike that will be used maybe 80% road and some trails.

The problem I have, is to justify the price of an older BMW bike compared to a more recent japanese bike.

To put you guys in perspective, I am in Canada (BMW is seens as 'high end' and luxury, so anything with the badge commands a high price).

My friend just bought a 2017 KLR650 3 months ago. With the crash bars, and the aluminum cases, he paid $5000 CND.
When I look for a 2012 650 Sertao no crash bars, no cases, the price is $7000 CND !
A 2007 G650 is $6000 CND !!
A 2002 F650 Dakar is $5500 CND !!!

So, does it worth the extra $$ for the BMW bikes?

Are the older bikes, like the 2002 Dakar still a good choice, for the same price of a 15 years younger Kawa?
I don't want to rebuild an engine and clutch in addition to the purchased price, at least, not in the first years.

Thank for you inputs.

Back
Top Bottom